Board index FlightGear Development Documentation

How would the 777 wiki pages best be organised?

Discussion of the FlightGear documentation, how it can be improved and coordination of people working on it.

How would the 777 wiki pages best be organised?

Postby Manfred » Fri May 16, 2014 4:57 pm

I'm new to the FlightGear project and thought I might be able to contribute by doing a little housekeeping on the Wiki. I posted on the Discuss page on the Wiki I noticed that the 777 articles were very dispersed. Here are my thoughts on how to 'clean' it up, based a little upon the 787 page. I could start to do this straighaway, but it's a little bit aggressive change, so I though'd I'd ask for opinions.

"Boeing 777"- Describes all systems, autopilot, etc.... if it gets too big, it may be put into a subpage, but this should be the 'master'.
"Boeing 777-200"/"Boeing 777-300" versions etc. Only mentions history of specific types and links to the other pages. Mention only specific differences to the others. No mention on the autopilot, start procedure etc.
"Boeing 777 Guides" - A main page for all tutorial etc. which are collected there.

Would this be a good way to organise these pages? I have seen there are different developers, but I have at least not been able to notice any obvious differences in systems between the types that would not outweigh the advantages which I see with having one rather than 4 articles with the same topic...
Manfred

Re: How would the 777 wiki pages best be organised?

Postby Jabberwocky » Fri May 16, 2014 5:14 pm

Sounds logical to me. We would need over time the same for the 747 and the 737 as well, I guess?
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY
Version: 3.0.0

Postby Manfred » Fri May 16, 2014 5:34 pm

Eventually perhaps, but some of those have more substantial changes between them, which I don't think is (or should) the case here.
Manfred

Postby F-JYL » Fri May 16, 2014 5:44 pm

I think the 787 is a good template.
So I agree on your proposition
F-JYL

Callsign: F-JYL
Version: git

Postby Hooray » Fri May 16, 2014 6:02 pm

Hi & welcome,

thanks for getting involved in the wiki.
You may want to consider using templates to standardize such things - basically, most aircraft (especially similar airliners) should have a fairly similar structure, which could be generalized using a few templates
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Manfred » Tue May 05, 2015 9:10 am

This is a blast from the past but I finished this up yesterday. Old pages left intact with exception of the redirect at beginning of page.
Manfred

Postby Johan G » Tue May 05, 2015 5:43 pm

Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Return to Documentation