Board index FlightGear Development Canvas

Garmin GNS 430/530  Topic is solved

Canvas is FlightGear's new fully scriptable 2D drawing system that will allow you to easily create new instruments, HUDs and even GUI dialogs and custom GUI widgets, without having to write C++ code and without having to rebuild FlightGear.

Garmin GNS 430/530

Postby jhaiduce » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:18 pm

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is currently a way to simulate a Garmin 430 or 530 in FG. A few years ago there was some effort to implement a Garmin GNS 530 in FG. It sounds like someone got it working in this forum post (the same effort is described in wiki page. However, both places refer to a github repository that appears not to exist anymore (cloning http://git.webcb.eu/GNS530.git produces a warning about having cloned an empty repository). Can anyone provide an updated link to this code, or an alternative implementation?

Similarly, there have been efforts in the past to connect FG to the Garmin GNS 400/500 trainer software, also discussed in past forum threads. I'm able to run the Garmin trainer (in Linux under wine), but have not found a way to connect it with FlightGear. Is there a way to do this?

John
jhaiduce

Re: Garmin GNS 430/530

Postby Hooray » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:26 pm

The original repo was rather simple actually, the most advanced moving-map style GPS we have currently is the so called "FG1000" (wiki) - that could be adapted to emulate other/similar devices. However, that will mean quite a bit of coding work.
Like you say, it's rather common to use the freely available trainer and hook that up to a simulator - this is how some of the more professional emulations work under the hood.
In general, that's a window-specific endeavor, so will require a bit of tinkering - I don't recall anybody reporting success doing that sort of thing with FG however.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby jhaiduce » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:08 pm

Hooray wrote in Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:26 pm:The original repo was rather simple actually, the most advanced moving-map style GPS we have currently is the so called "FG1000" (wiki) - that could be adapted to emulate other/similar devices. However, that will mean quite a bit of coding work.

Thanks, I didn't know about the FG1000! I looked for a G1000 implementation a few years ago, apparently before it existed. From the wiki it looks like it provides a lot of functionality.

Is there a copy of that G530 repo anywhere still? I'm interested in that instrument in particular because I fly aircraft IRL that are equipped with a G430.
jhaiduce

Postby Hooray » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:20 pm

Even if you can get your hands on a copy, it won't provide any useful functionality, it was not much more than a stub actually. You will definitely want to look at the FG1000 instead. And if you really need the GNS series, the FG1000 could be adapted accordingly - provided you can get your hands on the manual, some SVG editing artwork and Nasal coding.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to Canvas