Board index FlightGear Development Canvas

new locatio of Canvas-hackers-fgdata branch?

Canvas is FlightGear's new fully scriptable 2D drawing system that will allow you to easily create new instruments, HUDs and even GUI dialogs and custom GUI widgets, without having to write C++ code and without having to rebuild FlightGear.

new locatio of Canvas-hackers-fgdata branch?

Postby www2 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:14 am

Where can i find the new location of the Canvas-hackers-fgdata branch?
www2

Re: new locatio of Canvas-hackers-fgdata branch?

Postby Hooray » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:37 pm

Sorry for getting back to this so late

We originally set this up to allow non-fgdata committers to commit canvas related contributions to a single repository - since then, MapStructure development has stalled a bit.
These days, it's primarily artix who's been doing most related development.

Originally, the idea was to regularly sync back useful changes so that they appear in the "upstream" fgdata repository.

Since then, quite a few things have changed - including the fgdata/fgaddon split, but also gitorious shutting down, which is why we're lagging a bit behind.
Also, gitorious announced that they'd shut down all repos at the end of May IIRC - but it seems quite a few repositories/projects are already no longer reachable unfortunately.
So there's that too.

What exactly do you need ? Or do you just want to follow MapStructure development ?

My suggestion would be to clone fgdata, and ask artix/RevHardt to mirror their work - and we'll do the same, so that everything should be backed up.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby www2 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:56 pm

Thx Hooray
I am current follow the development of MapStructure for my project Farmin.
And i wand to have some slippy map support using a non mouse cursor for selecting objects and showing the current ground altitude as a layer.
www2

Postby Hooray » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:06 pm

I once experimented with interactive/edit-able layers, drag & drop is trivial to support - but interactive editing is a bit more involved.
I think the cursor can be easily changed using a property IIRC - ground elevations can be easily queried using a geodinfo() call that is invoked by a Canvas event listener, so no problems there.

However, I don't think there were any recent changes relating to these things, so what you see in fgdata is basically the latest state, because all the other efforts are unrelated as far as I can tell, i.e. shouldn't affect your work.

When it comes to MapStructure, my suggestion would be to follow the commits made by artix and RevHardt - who are currently the primary MapStructure users, and whose work is likely to be reviewed and committed "upstream" at some point.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby hamzaalloush » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:43 am

I was able to clone from that fork today(canvas-hackers) from Gitorious, hurray up and clone
hamzaalloush

Postby Hooray » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:25 am

ok, thanks for the update - much appreciated.
it's good to know that you've been able to retrieve the whole repo.
However, it would actually make sense to provide a down-stripped repository without any aircraft included.
I also need to check if any of the committers recently committed to any of the branches there.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby artix » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:16 am

Hooray wrote in Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:37 pm:My suggestion would be to clone fgdata, and ask artix/RevHardt to mirror their work - and we'll do the same, so that everything should be backed up.

I've seen that now fgdata has been split (great work). How should we sync canvas hackers fgdata with main fgdata after this split?

Another question:
what do you think about converting the current canvas hackers fgdata repo to a branch of the main fgdata repo? By this way it should be easy to keep it in sync with main fgdata developments.
artix

Postby Philosopher » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:44 pm

One way you could possibly achieve it is do a diff from master to the canvas-hacker branch, and then apply that to a new fgdata. It's fine it that includes one or two aircraft you're developing canvas on – you would have to copy the test of the aircraft too. Or you could just delete the aircraft directories, if you're not comfortable with developing the aircraft in FGData.
Philosopher

Postby TheTom » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:35 pm

www2 you have mentioned you want to do a slippy map. I've just put some old code of me in the wiki showing how to build a simple tile map: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Canvas_Snipp ... e_tile_map There are some issues but it already works quite nice (eg. tiles are cached but never renewed).
TheTom

Postby Hooray » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:10 pm

that's really cool - thanks for contributing to the "snippets" article - I hope we can add more examples and screen shots to grow this and make this really useful.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Return to Canvas