Board index FlightGear Development Canvas

Airbus Navigation Display

Canvas is FlightGear's new fully scriptable 2D drawing system that will allow you to easily create new instruments, HUDs and even GUI dialogs and custom GUI widgets, without having to write C++ code and without having to rebuild FlightGear.

Re: Airbus Navigation Display

Postby Hooray » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:30 am

@artix: I've slightly extended the MapStructure article to also contain a few more details on using styling+caching in conjunction, which is something that Philosopher worked out last year using pretty fancy Nasal code - this is one of these things that is really useful but not yet widely used in many layers (refer to VOR.symbol and DME.symbol for examples), but it can greatly improve performance and flexibility of your layers, because many layers can simplify their symbols to textured quads instead of having dozens of OpenVG-drawn symbols (which used to be the case in the original ND code).

Even the Avidyne Entegra R9 developers ended up copying this method due to its superior performance.

To learn more about the reasons for doing this, see: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Canvas_MapStructure#Symbols
To learn how to create layers with styling + caching support, see: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Canvas_MapSt ... ymbolCache

Let us know if you have any questions or need help - I'm sure Philosopher will also check back here (or the wiki) and respond to any open questions you may have.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Vladimir Akimov » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:41 am

This is great! :D
You know me from youtube :)
I'm VladFlyer, take a look :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBOvOg ... yNsYKuAxbw
Vladimir Akimov

Callsign: VladFlyer
Version: 3.2.0

Postby artix » Sun May 17, 2015 9:18 am

Since FG is next to be frozen for release, is it possibile to have the Airbus MapStructure work integrated into the next FG release?
artix

Postby Philosopher » Sun May 17, 2015 2:09 pm

Sorry guys, I've been a lot busier than I had anticipated!

Could you send an email to me nasal musician {at}-{gmail} with your changes (repo url or whatever)? I think that would help me review them – but I can't promise much this week. I also have a few (minor) changes to make, so I'm willing to help out, but I need to get commit access again too...

And feel free to bug me if I don't do it in a couple weeks ;)
Philosopher

Postby artix » Sun May 17, 2015 2:24 pm

The code was on a branch (topics/airbus_nd) of the canvas-hackers-fgdata repository. But since gitorious has been closed, i don't know if that repository has been moved along with the main fgdata repository.

Anyway, i can push the code on a new public repository so you can take a look at it.

Philosopher wrote in Sun May 17, 2015 2:09 pm:Sorry guys, I've been a lot busier than I had anticipated!

Could you send an email to me nasal musician {at}-{gmail} with your changes (repo url or whatever)? I think that would help me review them – but I can't promise much this week. I also have a few (minor) changes to make, so I'm willing to help out, but I need to get commit access again too...

And feel free to bug me if I don't do it in a couple weeks ;)
artix

Postby wkitty42 » Sun May 17, 2015 4:46 pm

artix wrote in Sun May 17, 2015 2:24 pm:The code was on a branch (topics/airbus_nd) of the canvas-hackers-fgdata repository. But since gitorious has been closed, i don't know if that repository has been moved along with the main fgdata repository.

IIRC, it was moved but i don't remember to where... take a look at the FGFS SF repos... there's a drop box of repos and links to additional ones that were brought over...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Philosopher » Sun May 17, 2015 4:53 pm

It's still available on gitorious (for now...): https://gitorious.org/fg/canvas-hackers ... 227c3d4794:

Doing a diff will be interesting though. :?
Philosopher

Postby artix » Sun May 17, 2015 5:16 pm

It's stiil on gitorious but it's read-only, so I cannot push my latest commits anymore.
artix

Postby wkitty42 » Sun May 17, 2015 5:25 pm

i just took a look on the SF FGFS repos and don't see it there in the form that ISTR it being moved... might be best to inquire on the dev list?? it was there or in these forums that someone recently (in the last month or 6 weeks) asked about it...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby artix » Sun May 17, 2015 5:27 pm

Since i cannot push the commits anymore, here's a Diff file:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15249391/fg_data.airbus.diff

Philosopher wrote in Sun May 17, 2015 4:53 pm:It's still available on gitorious (for now...): https://gitorious.org/fg/canvas-hackers ... 227c3d4794:

Doing a diff will be interesting though. :?
artix

Postby Philosopher » Sun May 17, 2015 9:53 pm

Well, I have the gitorious clone, and I have current next from sourceforge, but it's impossible to merge them now because they've diverged so much (the history has been completely rewritten). Is there any way you could tell me which files you have changed? I don't think git can handle this any more.... :shock:
Philosopher

Postby artix » Sun May 17, 2015 9:54 pm

I can try to do it by myself
artix

Postby artix » Sat May 30, 2015 7:41 pm

I've re-applied all my changes to the current branch (next)...now it's synced with the latest developments.
What can I do now? Should I push my branch on my Github account or should i create a merge request on the official repo?

Philosopher wrote in Sun May 17, 2015 9:53 pm:Well, I have the gitorious clone, and I have current next from sourceforge, but it's impossible to merge them now because they've diverged so much (the history has been completely rewritten). Is there any way you could tell me which files you have changed? I don't think git can handle this any more.... :shock:
artix

Postby Philosopher » Sat May 30, 2015 8:49 pm

I think I can work with a merge request. I got commit access again :) Thanks
Philosopher

Postby Hooray » Sat May 30, 2015 9:43 pm

could you put up a diff/patch with all changes so that we can take a look and help peer-review everything (it seems Gijs and most others are currently n/a, so I guess Philosopher will appreciate some more feedback before this gets committed)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

PreviousNext

Return to Canvas