Board index FlightGear Development Canvas

experimental MapStructure layers

Canvas is FlightGear's new fully scriptable 2D drawing system that will allow you to easily create new instruments, HUDs and even GUI dialogs and custom GUI widgets, without having to write C++ code and without having to rebuild FlightGear.

experimental MapStructure layers

Postby Hooray » Mon May 12, 2014 5:23 pm

This is just a heads-up in order to avoid merge conflicts, I have the following layers in various stages of completion (i.e. no caching, no styling and no optimizations yet), these are not really "important" - just experiments for now (i.e. not supported by the stock map dialog)
  • WXR (storms)
  • TUT (tutorial targets)
  • GRID (lat/lon coordinate grid)
  • SAT (satellite images via http/mapserver)

And I am also considering to add a G1000-style terrain height map using geodinfo() queries ... (you know, just for the fun of it :D )
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Re: experimental MapStructure layers

Postby Johan G » Mon May 12, 2014 10:07 pm

Two quick questions:
  1. How much support for projections and georeferencing is there in the SAT layer?
  2. Will the GRID layer have ticks?
If the GRID layer would have ticks they could help the pilot a bit by pointing East/West (depending on longitude) and North. They could also be useful for getting a quick ETA estimate even when zoomed in too close to see a 1 x 1 degree box.

Ticks and grid lines might have to be drawn procedurally based on zoom level, e.g. [grid line, long tick, short tick]: [30 deg, 10 deg, 5 deg], [10 deg, 5 deg, 1 deg], [5 deg, 1 deg, 30 min], [1 deg, 30 min, 10 min], [30 min, 10 min, 5 min], [10 min, 5 min, 1 min], [5 min, 1 min, 30 sec], [1 min, 30 sec, 10 sec]. Should be enough to cover zooming from hemisphere to airport. Long ticks could probably be drawn pointing both W/E or N/S. Problem is that labels will be needed along the grid lines (preferably the non-tick side, and the vertical ones with the upper side of the text westwards), and maybe at the long ticks.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Re: experimental MapStructure layers

Postby Hooray » Tue May 13, 2014 6:31 pm

#1: none, the canvas system written by Tom handles all the fancy stuff for us, i.e. it "just works" :D
#2: up to the people implementing the draw() routine or providing a SVG file that we could draw instead via parsesvg() - optional stuff (tic marks etc) should have a corresponding element ID, so that we can easily show/hide things based on LOD (zoom/range)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Return to Canvas