Board index FlightGear Development Canvas

git and my filesystem  Topic is solved

Canvas is FlightGear's new fully scriptable 2D drawing system that will allow you to easily create new instruments, HUDs and even GUI dialogs and custom GUI widgets, without having to write C++ code and without having to rebuild FlightGear.

git and my filesystem

Postby kuifje09 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:56 pm

Not sure about what is hapening, this question.

I have the fgdata files on my system, downloaded with git.
In that dir is a file named version , and the contend 2.12.0

Flightgear does not like that, but 2.11.0 is good. So I change the content of version to 2.11.0. It is just a file .
Now flightgear starts and is okay.

But.... now git complains. ofcourse. so I change it vise versa...
Working in git I set it to 2.12.0. Flying with flightgear I set it to 2.11.0 . everybody happy I think.

When I create a file in gui/dialog/ fgplot.xml and do ls of that file, it is there. But when I change the version in the version file
ls says file is not there? Then I cannot add it to the git-database.

so if the version in the version file is set to 2.11.0, then it is gone when in "git-mode" version 2.12.0.

What silly thingy is git ? What is going on?
This says to me there are some hidden filesystems or something like that.

Edit: I found it I have to take care the version is set to 2.12.0 befor any checkout command is done ! I now created 2 versions and the checkout command inserts/deletes the files...

So the new question is, how to get rid of the 2.11.0 git-release I created on my system for the fgdata.
kuifje09

Re: git and my filesystem

Postby Hooray » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:11 pm

kuifje09 wrote in Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:56 pm:I have the fgdata files on my system, downloaded with git.
In that dir is a file named version , and the contend 2.12.0

Flightgear does not like that, but 2.11.0 is good. So I change the content of version to 2.11.0. It is just a file .
Now flightgear starts and is okay.

What silly thingy is git ? What is going on?

Your FG binary is still looking for 2.11 - while your fgdata is 2.12 - which is a version mismatch, so that the binary looks for 2.11, and will only accept the the 2.12 after you manually edit the version file. The correct fix would be to use identical versions, i.e. 2.11 or 2.12 - or just next. I assume it's related to a d&c issue, some other users previously reported similar problems.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby kuifje09 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:18 pm

Hi Hooray, you are right and I undestand I am not very smart doing this but is is working for me. So why get all other updates while it is not nessecary.
I know it is not the right way.
About the git.. Just after I posted the question it became clear what caused the issue. I have to stay focussed and have the version set right for git and
also for flightgear. Tricky but it works.

When I have some time and courage I will update all other packages to the current release.
kuifje09

Postby Hooray » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:20 pm

I think, there's misunderstanding: If you are already using brisa's d&c script, you already have everything that you need - no need to update any packages. Presumably, your sg/fg source trees are still referring to 2.11, so you probably just need to update those (pull) and rebuild SG/FG and it should look for 2.12
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to Canvas