Board index FlightGear Development Canvas

Canvas on 3D model invisible with Git  Topic is solved

Canvas is FlightGear's new fully scriptable 2D drawing system that will allow you to easily create new instruments, HUDs and even GUI dialogs and custom GUI widgets, without having to write C++ code and without having to rebuild FlightGear.

Canvas on 3D model invisible with Git

Postby Gijs » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi,

trying to finish my Canvas EICAS pages for the 744, I noticed they no longer show. After nearly an hour of trying to edit my way out of it, I had the bright idea to check the c172p demo. It looked like this:

I'm not seeing any related errors. When loading my own SVG, I do see some "parsesvg: skipping unknown element" lines, so apparently it is doing something. The map from the Location > Select An Airport dialog shows up fine btw.

Any ideas? This is with today's fgdata and SG/FG. Didn't look at Canvas for a while, so this may have been introduced some time ago.

Cheers,
Gijs

PS: I will be away from my computer most of tomorrow, so I'll do some more testing on Thursday if required.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Re: Canvas on 3D model invisible with Git

Postby TheTom » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:21 pm

That's strange. Is this the unmodified c172p-canvas? I've tried it on multiple computers and was not able to reproduce this. Maybe try a complete rebuild. If this does not help please tell me your exact operating system and osg version.
TheTom

Postby Hooray » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:31 am

post the about dialog info (screen shot or copy/paste)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby Alant » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:12 am

The demo and my own canvas HUD are fine here - windows 7, current git.
Sadly the OP did not read his own forum instructions, so I do not know what system he is using. (I just had to add that comment :) :) :) :) )

Alan
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: from Git

Hi & welcome Gijs!

Postby Hooray » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:16 am

right: Gijs, please see the red box at the top of the support forum *g*
lol, awesome ...
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Johan G » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:59 am

Alant wrote in Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:12 am:Sadly the OP did not read his own forum instructions, so I do not know what system he is using...

In his defence, he is one of those who have full system specs in his profile (click his name to the right of his post). :wink:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby Gijs » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:13 am

The Canvas subforum does not have a pink box at the top of the page, nor did it ever have one. And it wouldn't have helped here, because the cause is quite different than a hardware/software failure (see below) ;-)

I just found my (very, very stupid) issue. I had overwritten Aircraft/Instruments-3d/canvas-test/canvas-test.nas with some custom code of the 747; placing the canvas on an object that doesn't exist in the c172 model :oops: Would be nice if we could display an error when the placement node cannot be found...

So, Canvas works fine, but there was something in my model not quite right. Managed to get rid of the issue completely by some re-opening/exporting in Blender.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby TheTom » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:46 am

Gijs wrote in Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:13 am:Would be nice if we could display an error when the placement node cannot be found...

If /canvas/by-index/texture[x]/placement[y]/status-msg contains something different to "Ok" placing the canvas has probably failed. I think I will change the texture of the c172p-canvas to something not transparent and print a warning message to the console if there is no match.
TheTom

Postby Hooray » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:58 am

We could add a simple "canvas-debug" dialog that traverses all canvases and checks for status messages, which could then also show canvas-specific errors. I assume this could be helpful to people working with the canvas (instruments/GUI/HUD)
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Alant » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:39 am

Sorry Gijs - just my warped sense of humor.

Alan
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: from Git

Return to Canvas