Board index FlightGear Development Canvas

Tilemap support

Canvas is FlightGear's new fully scriptable 2D drawing system that will allow you to easily create new instruments, HUDs and even GUI dialogs and custom GUI widgets, without having to write C++ code and without having to rebuild FlightGear.

Re: Tilemap support

Postby Hooray » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:47 pm

grep the Nasal source tree for "json" and you'll see that Andy had actually planned to support the *syntax* (Nasal is close enough as is), that is, before he stopped working on Nasal :D

As to socket I/O and security, not my decision - see the issue tracker, some core developers are opposed to it, and even Andy Ross himself repeatedly mentioned being opposed to it.

Adding socket bindings to the Nasal interface would be quite simple, and it is well documented: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Extend_Nasal
One would only need to use PLIB's socket wrappers and expose them via extension functions, or even objects - using Tom's new cppbind framework in simgear/nasal/cppbind.

Now, it's easy to claim that we tend to use "security" as an excuse not to support sockets, but FG already has lots of flaws, including a number of ways to trigger segfaults reliably. Thus, exposing these "features" via socket bindings would possibly cause quite some headache.

The FG project doesn't have the manpower to really deal with reported bugs properly, and many bugs could be easily exploited via sockets, too.
At the moment, FG simply doesn't have the momentum or a sizable user communtiy to attract "the right people", but there are many issues in FG that could be exploited easily.

Just imagine for a second that I were able to crash MP clients by sending a "well formed" packet to you, to interrupt your 4hr flight - that would be annoying enough, right ?

Regarding HLA: Please, do feel free to continue working with fgms, I just said that you shouldn't be surprised if/when fgms will eventually be phased out. I also don't expect that to happen during the next 12-18 months, but I'm pretty sure that it will happen. There are more and more core developers aware of the HLA effort and what it is about. And more and more core developers are fully supportive of adopting HLA.

Finally, I'm definitely not opposed to Nasal or to adding more features to it (or even just fixing/improving it) - I just reiterated the general consensus, i.e. based on core developer feedback, but also based on feedback from previous Nasal maintainers, such as mfranz and Andy.

So if you are serious about the whole JSON/socket IO idea, I'd suggest to file a feature request to find a core developer willing to review and commit your code
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Previous

Return to Canvas