Board index FlightGear Development Weather

Frequency of METAR updates  Topic is solved

Everything related to weather simulation, visuals should be discussed in the shader subforum.

Frequency of METAR updates

Postby tarunmarella » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:16 am

Hi guys...
How frequently does the METAR (in the case of live weather), update during the course of a flight??
tarunmarella

Re: Frequency of METAR updates

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:39 am

that depends on the speed of the flight for one thing... in other words, how quickly does a new ICAO come into range?

aside from that, there is a timed update mechanism that goes off every few minutes... i hover over KRDU most of the time and see regular metar updates taking place...

why do you ask?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:52 am

Last I checked it triggers every 15 minutes. It checks every 10 seconds for the closest airport and will update if a new airport comes in range.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby tarunmarella » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:40 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:39 am:that depends on the speed of the flight for one thing... in other words, how quickly does a new ICAO come into range?

aside from that, there is a timed update mechanism that goes off every few minutes... i hover over KRDU most of the time and see regular metar updates taking place...

why do you ask?

A new ICAO comes as soon I’m in the range of an airport.
And I was asking because once I have the weather of my origin airport, it remains the same in ascent, cruise, descent and even at the destination airport.
I click the Apply button in the weather option, regularly throughout the flight but nothing happens
tarunmarella

Postby AAL545 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:46 pm

I'm on the latest FG 2020.1.1 and the updates are getting worse, not sure why. This passed Sunday I flew for 10 hours and it never updated automatically. It retrieves the weather but doesn't show on the display.
Something must be wrong here, I'll do some clean up, delete aircraft data and maybe reinstall the aircraft. (That's all I can do on my side)

What I would suggest though is as soon as the aircraft is in the tile of the destination airport the metar switches to that ICAO, what I have noticed is when landing in lets say, KJFK rnw 13L, you pick up KEWR and my aircraft doesn't update to JFK untill I'm on the ground, that's too late!!

AAL4955
AAL545

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:57 pm

That shouldn't have happened -- since https://sourceforge.net/u/legoboyvdlp/f ... f1f51a5ef/ the closest airport is checked every 10 seconds. So after 10 seconds where KJFK is your closest airport it should have switched?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Return to Weather