Board index FlightGear Development Weather

Advanced Weather debugging

Everything related to weather simulation, visuals should be discussed in the shader subforum.

Advanced Weather debugging

Postby V12 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:49 pm

... previous topics at viewtopic.php?p=341859#p341859

/local-weather/interpolation-loop-flag I have 1
/local-weather/config/fps-control-flag I have false

I have Wind model aloft waypoints, it is last option in the dropdown.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Re: Advanced Weather debugging

Postby V12 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:39 pm

Short flight log https://ulozto.net/!2Eft6XNCmyqZ/fdr-ods

Again, steep changes without interpolation, message "Interpolation loop running!" has been printed in the console all time of the flight
V12

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:51 pm

Thank you. That means that everything is working fine in running the loop. So the trouble is -- find out what is not working inside the loop.

(May be best to restore local-weather.nas again?)

and @Thorsten, just in case I'm barking up the wrong tree, it is interpolation_loop that is meant to interpolate winds aloft, pressure, etc, correct?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:30 am

Once I get a chance I'll keep trying to debug this. For a start presently we know interpolation_loop is running even while the jumps occur. Next thing is the difficult part... Find what is amiss in the loop itself.
legoboyvdlp

Postby V12 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:02 pm

Here is another interesant log https://ulozto.net/!QbZARUFRrwpp/lzib-lpma-ods with too much jump changes. One change occured on one METAR station after report change.
V12

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:30 pm

Ok: from what I gather Thorsten never uses live weather (due to weak internet access and the fact that offline weather allows a better simulation - which is correct although it requires more setting up before hand of course and does not match the real world).

This indicates the problem is in the interaction between live weather and the rest of the system. I wonder if you could therefore try a flight with Fair Weather scenario and confirm that there are no jumps?
legoboyvdlp

Postby Thorsten » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:07 am

Ok: from what I gather Thorsten never uses live weather

Except for testing...
Thorsten

Postby Mihajlo » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:47 am

For me jumps occur when I use live weather and when METAR changes. I see no jumps when using offline weather in all scenarios. What is weird is that sometimes I see a jump when I open a weather dialog.
Mihajlo

Postby V12 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:40 pm

I performed flight from PHNL to JFK. I observed jump altitude changes about more than 1000 feets. FDR log is here https://ulozto.net/!OHDpulZCos4X/phnl-kjfk-ods, fgtracker log at https://fgtracker.ml/modules/fgtracker/ ... ID=7098847.

On this chart is clearly visible KIAS drop about almost 100 kts after almost 180 degs wind direction change and speed. I have not strenght to fight with that discontinuity. And with wrong rotated clouds. We should make thread Anti SOTM with worst FG screenshots. Nothing strange that peoples using eye-candy sims...
FSX is not ideal, but doesn't produce that weather absurdity.
Last edited by V12 on Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V12

Postby Thorsten » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:03 pm

I have not strenght to fight with that discontinuity. And with wrong rotated clouds

Nobody is forcing you... You can fix it, use 2d clouds, use no clouds, use constant winds, fix the AP to deal with the input... there's a gazillion of options waiting for you,

(It's less than a hundred lines of code, I've told you where that code is located... if you believe it's not working, go through it and look for the reason, that's the best advice I can give you. I've been unable to reproduce such jumps in my short test cases and I won't go flying for hours searching for them - it isn't that hard to find out what a subroutine does when you trigger something, you insert a bunch of conditional print statements and write out what you need... Unlike endless laments how bad things are, that would actually get you somewhere.)

We should make thread Anti SOTM with worst FG screenshots

Well, creating an ugly screenshot is generally easy - you screw up perspective and framing, use a half-baked model, switch off graphical goodies and... there you go.

Which is why there's so few well-known photographers. Everyone can push the button and create a picture, but that's not what photography is about. :D
Last edited by Thorsten on Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thorsten

Postby V12 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:08 pm

If I know how to fix, I did it long time ago. Turn off all options ? OK, I will re-live my ATARI 800XL and will fly old vectored Microprose's Flight Simulator. Thank You for that good advice :D I'm user, not developer.
V12

Postby Thorsten » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:13 pm

If I know how to fix, I did it long time ago

Same here - I looked into it, I couldn't reproduce it, routine is interpolating fine for me, I don't see anything obvious in the code that goes wrong, I don't know what triggers it. In short - need info.
Thorsten

Postby V12 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:20 pm

OK, test plan :
Repeat my flight from PHNL to KJFK with Adwanced weather, source live METAR, wind model Aloft waypoint, log data and You will obtain similar data. What more do You need ? I posted all my advanced weather settings, uploaded many recorded data.
My FGFS :
Ubuntu 18.04, FGFS 2018.3.1 patched for live METAR fetch after NOAA changed url described at viewtopic.php?f=25&t=35320, especialy at viewtopic.php?p=342390#p342390
Last edited by V12 on Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V12

Postby Thorsten » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:29 pm

Repeat my flight from PHNL to KJFK with Adwanced weather, source live METAR, wind model Aloft waypoint, log data and You will obtain similar data. What more do You need ?

I won't go flying for hours searching for them - I don't have the time. The last time I actually fired up FG to fly for more than 10 minutes in a row and a purpose other than development/debugging is two months ago.

So I need a condition I can trigger in 5 minutes, or I need you to tell me which variable has the wrong value inside the subroutine when the jump triggers for you.
Thorsten

Postby V12 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:36 pm

All jump changes are after METAR station ID changes, or when report from actual METAR station has been changed. Check my uploaded ODS file, for example rows from 7658 to 7664.
Last edited by V12 on Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V12

Next

Return to Weather