Board index FlightGear Development Weather

Rain shafts

Everything related to weather simulation, visuals should be discussed in the shader subforum.

Rain shafts

Postby Mihajlo » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:53 pm

I noticed that rain shafts are visible fairly often in METAR mode (not sure about offline weather) and that there is no cloud above them. Since I am using Boeing 777 it's not possible that the cloud moved away and exposed rain shafts, since it's a fast airplane and there is not enough time for clouds to move away that much. My theory is that either rain shaft placement or cloud placement is wrong (not in line with each other) or cloud that is supposed to be above rain shaft is not generated, but the rain shaft is.
Here are the photos:
https://imgur.com/a/Hxw7ydB
https://imgur.com/a/QH7MOMS
Maybe the photos show an extreme case. Usually there are less rain shafts visible but I see it happens fairly often. I think that a few years ago this wasn't so noticeable and that at one point it got worse for whatever reason. Any thoughts on why this is happening and if it's possible to fix it?
Mihajlo

Re: Rain shafts

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:08 am

this has been discussed several times before... the fact is that the clouds are generated by some code and the rain is generated by other code... they have no linkage to each other... it may be possible that such linkage can be coded but so far, it hasn't been and no one has offered code for such...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Mihajlo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:24 am

I think that rain and rain shaft are also separate. Rain (droplets) work as they should and are not generated without a cloud. I guess the alternative would be to remove rain shafts completely because IMO they take away from the experience more than they improve the visuals. Thorsten mentioned that procedural volumetric rain could replace this if I remember correctly, but since this is expensive it hasn't been implemented. Since GPU's are becoming faster every year I am not sure if this is still the case.
Mihajlo

Postby wlbragg » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:31 am

Check your LOD settings. There's been some work on this and it also has been mentioned to be the cause of the shaft appearing without the cloud more often than one would be used to.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Mihajlo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:30 am

My LOD settings:
Detailed: 10000
Rough: 15000
Bare: 250000
I'm still on 2018.3.1. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that the majority of LOD changes are in 2018.4.1 (I've seen the new LOD sliders in it). The only change that made it in 2018.3.1 is AI/MP LOD which I didn't touch.
Mihajlo

Postby wlbragg » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:15 pm

Yes, I think your correct.
wlbragg

Postby Mihajlo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:26 pm

Then I guess LOD is not the only culprit. I think rain shafts were visible before that.
Mihajlo

Postby wlbragg » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:04 pm

clouds are generated by some code and the rain is generated by other code... they have no linkage to each other.

Yes, in this case I think wkitty42 is correct then, this is a known "bug".
wlbragg

Return to Weather