Board index FlightGear Development Weather

Bug in Advanced Weather routines ?  Topic is solved

Everything related to weather simulation, visuals should be discussed in the shader subforum.

Re: Bug in Advanced Weather routines ?

Postby V12 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:44 am

Thorsten :

Did You read this ?
I deleted my config file, tested on vanilla install, bug reappears almost on all flights, when METAR reports few or scattered clouds.

Where is stored config of the property tree ? IMHO, when I delete config files, all properties should be reinitialized. Or am I in mistake ?
OK, I will check that flag and disable it via property browser.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby Thorsten » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:11 am

Well, I can check the default setting on the repository (which I have done) and I can test my own installation of 2018.3.1 (which I have done) and in both cases I find the property set correctly.

That is to say, your story doesn't compute for me, and it's the second time in this thread you manifestly do not run a vanilla config. Which really suggests to me that you need to look for something on your side that screws up your settings before taking any further action.
Thorsten

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:33 pm

@V12, check the property /local-weather/config/dynamical-convection-flag and report its setting? And in the autosave?

for me, in the autosave it is
Code: Select all
      <dynamical-convection-flag type="bool">false</dynamical-convection-flag>

as expected.

I am looking into it in a bit more detail and what I see matches what Thorsten says.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:47 pm

ok - so recreate_cumulus is called as such:

local_weather.recreate_cumulus(lat,lon, alt + alt_offset, alpha, n, 20000.0, index);

This is inside a for loop, all inside the convective_loop function. This function only runs if local_weather.local_weather_running_flag is 1 -- which works elsewhere.

All this only runs if config/dynamical-convection-flag is true - which it is initialized to on line 4665 of local weather.nas:
var dynamical_convection_flag = 1;

This is what Thorsten is talking about.
At a later stage, that is reset to
getprop(lw~"config/dynamical-convection-flag");

looking at the readme, The final option dynamical convection requires both terrain presamling and dynamical weather to be selected (if not, a warning is given and the system aborts). If this option is chosen, all convective clouds and thermals have a life cycle - clouds are continually spawned and decay after a while. This preserves realistic cloud configurations over islands even with wind drift on and improves the realism of the soaring experience as the properties of thermals change over time, but again uses somewhat more performance - switch it on if you need it, for fast planes the visual gain is almost non-existent.

This menu is now disabled - this option is not present in the advanced weather menu . I think the old local weather menu is still available under Debug - V12, did you use this menu?

All I can think of is maybe the
getprop(lw~"config/dynamical-convection-flag");
is failing for whatever reason - but applying "ockham's razor" I expect V12 will find that property is set to 1 in his property browser /autosave ?
legoboyvdlp

Postby V12 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:31 pm

Yes, it was TRUE. After deleted config files too. I switched it to FALSE in property browser, after restart was FALSE. I don't know where was problem. Bug around grad is gone. Trouble probably solved.

legoboyvdlp wrote in Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:47 pm:I think the old local weather menu is still available under Debug - V12, did you use this menu?

Not, I did not. But there is possibility that Adam made some of his experiments...
V12

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:16 am

I told you where the problem is in detail and Thorsten - who should know having developed AW - told you where the problem is - and you confirmed it by proving the problem does not occur when you set that property to false. So I think that is sufficient to show the problem is setting that property to true?

The wierd thing is, I did have a look at the menu files and I have no idea how that property could end up being changed. :?:
legoboyvdlp

Postby V12 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:12 pm

Thorsten wrote in Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:21 am:... because the routine in question is an experimental, six-year old code path which is disabled by default and can't be enabled in the GUI - you have to manually edit a config file or use the property browser to activate it, and if you opt to do so, it's kind of your own problem to deal with the consequences.

Hmmm, this is not right, because detailed_terrain_interaction_flag is accessible in GUI - check window Weather condition -> Advanced settings -> checkbox terrain effects :wink:
V12

Postby Thorsten » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:00 pm

That's not the flag that selects the experimental codepath though... that's a flag that selects a supported and working code path. As Jonathan wrote, the flag in question is /local-weather/config/dynamical-convection-flag

So why on earth would it matter whether you can change a different flag from the GUI?

Did you bother to read at all what Jonathan wrote? He went into great detail - yet you managed to completely ignore his analysis somehow.

Why is that?
Thorsten

Postby V12 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:23 pm

lego wrote some about property detailed_terrain_interaction_flag and grad variable. I observed error undefined symbol grad. Then I found that variable grad is declared localy only in procedure create_cumulus, but not in recreate_cumulus and this is cause of that error message. In the next Your post You wrote :
Thorsten wrote in Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:21 am:...can't be enabled in the GUI...

I understand it as detailed_terrain_interaction_flag can't be changed in the GUI, but it is not right. That is all. If I was in mistake, sorry.

Now, probably all problems solved after full reinstall Lubuntu and FG2018.3.1 on my main machine. I'm half hour in the air and Nasal console is clear of the errors.
V12

Postby V12 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:46 pm

Today's test flight from KJFK to EGLL via NAT SN in 3:23 hours without any error in NASAL console. Case closed.
V12

Previous

Return to Weather