Board index FlightGear Development Weather

Why am I seeing blue sky?

Everything related to weather simulation, visuals should be discussed in the shader subforum.

Why am I seeing blue sky?

Postby blcjr » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:38 pm

I've only been using FG for a few weeks. Now that live METAR is working, I've been noticing that I often (I'd say "always" but I don't know that for sure) see blue sky when the METAR is reporting an overcast layer. Are there some weather settings that I'm missing, or is "OVC" not being modeled properly (if at all). If needed, I can post screenshots with the weather dialog visible so the METAR is showing. As I pass through what is supposed to be OVC, it looks more like SCT with plenty of blue visible. As indicated, this is not a one-off experience. I'm flying a lot in Alaska, where OVC has been common, and yet I'm always seeing blue sky overhead.

Edit: I've looked at the difference 2D vs. 3D clouds makes. With 2D clouds, I get an overcast layer, but no lower BKN layer. With 3D I only see BKN layers, no OVC. Is this really the way weather (=clouds) works in FG?
blcjr

Re: Why am I seeing blue sky?

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:41 pm

try turning off 3d clouds and setting the weather to "Detailed"... see if that makes any difference... make sure you hit the [OK] button to get the weather engine started... if you like it and want it every time you fly, you still (currently) need to hit the [OK] button even if the setting is already on "Detailed"...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Weather