Board index FlightGear Development Weather

Tropopause and Stratosphere Temps

Everything related to weather simulation, visuals should be discussed in the shader subforum.

Tropopause and Stratosphere Temps

Postby PINTO » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:51 am

Hey there,

Working on the SR-71, and the outside ambient temp is quite important when cruising. I've been looking at the ambient temps in the stratosphere, and they just don't seem right. I don't mind implementing it via JSBsim or whatever (if I can figure out the math) - I just want to make sure that I'm not crazy, and the temps are okay.

It looks like when you hit somewhere around the top of the troposphere, the temps go to ISA standard, independent of local weather. Then, also based on the height of the top of the troposphere, after you've climbed 20k feet, the temp increases as it should, just not as much as I'd expect (by about 10* or so).

This results in a higher top speed for the SR-71, which is fun, but it just seems wrong. Any ideas?
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Return to Weather