Board index FlightGear Development Weather

METAR from KPHL on 3/4/2016 while snowing  Topic is solved

Everything related to weather simulation, visuals should be discussed in the shader subforum.

Re: METAR from KPHL on 3/4/2016 while snowing

Postby Thorsten » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:07 am

I do get a 'realistic weather not supported by METAR" message though after I assume leaving my current tile. (...) What happens if you move outside of that tile on a long haul, for example? Under current settings in 2016.1.1 and with the new fix for the 2.0?
Will it stay with the same weather from KPHL to Dubai for example? Or will it change with the regional changes?

It would seem you're trying to misuse the weather engine.

You can drive AW either by supplying METAR or by letting it generate the weather itself by the offline engine. What you can not do is supply one METAR and then expect the offline engine to take over (loosely spoken, selecting a weather situation for the offline engine sets a lot more parameters, especially at higher altitude, than a METAR string contains).

So if you supply a METAR string and then switch the engine to 'realistic weather' (which is the instruction to the offline engine to generate large scale weather patterns), it's telling you that it won't do this.

In other words, you can't ask to be able to have control (by supplying a METAR string) and not control (by asking the offline engine to create weather).

All that has nothing to do with the bug and its fix which is about how the METAR string enters the system in the first place, because the weather systems are all agnostic to where it comes from, they just work from the parsed string.
Thorsten

Postby swwon » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:15 am

Awesome thanks Thorsten, that clears the "why it does that?" for me.
But when I dictate the METAR I didn't change anything with the Realistic Weather option, I just left it where it was, which normally a have it in real weather cause I fly a lot offline. So based upon your explanation that would mean if I select a manual METAR string I also need to change the option in the custom weather page, FROM realistic weather TO METAR, correct?
And if so, it brings me back to my original question. Does that mean I will only fly with the same weather all the way through a 15 hour flight over two continents and 10 time zones?

And as far as the glitch, which was the 2nd part of my question, I don't think I've had a drop of rain touch my windscreen while flying through beautiful lightning flashed ALS shaded inclement weather since switching to 2016.1.1...does that mean I need to do something about that in the code or is it a lost cause?
swwon

Version: 2016.2.1

Postby Thorsten » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:24 am

If you have the 'detailed weather' radiobutton selected and the select 'Manual Input' from the dropdown menu, in the advanced options 'Tile selection mode' is automatically set to 'METAR', so if you do nothing, you get weather for that METAR generated.

Does that mean I will only fly with the same weather all the way through a 15 hour flight over two continents and 10 time zones?

Yes and no - since you just told the system to use manual input, it will honor your request and only change the weather when the current METAR string changes. You could for instance drive AW with your own weather engine writing a new string into the property tree, and the weather will change accordingly. Or you can do it by hand (I believe once you open the weather dialog again, it jumps to a lot of default selections again, so that'd be more of a re-start).

So yeah, once you select manual input, you have to really input changes manually.

I don't think I've had a drop of rain touch my windscreen while flying through beautiful lightning flashed ALS shaded inclement weather since switching to 2016.1.1

The raindrops on the windshield aren't generated weather-side, they're generated aircraft-side based on weather info - so the plane you might be flying with might never have been equipped with the effect, or it may be broken aircraft side, but the effect itself is working fine.
Thorsten

Postby swwon » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:42 am

Thanks for all your answers.
I'll be more specific regarding the rain. I probably said it incorrectly. I can "see" the rain in the distance in the form of black sheets below the storm clouds, but when I fly into that area for instance there aren't raindrops in the air around the plane. I'm not so concerned about having drops splash on the windscreen as I miss getting the feeling of flying in the rain by seeing horizontal or diagonal lines of rendered raindrops as I pass through them. I had that in 3.6.
swwon

Version: 2016.2.1

Postby rominet » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:19 pm

Precipitation (outside the aircraft) is broken in FG 2016.1.1 (known problem), and also still in current development versions (2016.2.0)—I tested it about 3 days ago.
rominet

Callsign: F-KATS
Version: Git next

Previous

Return to Weather