Board index FlightGear Development Weather

FlightGear and TAF...

Everything related to weather simulation, visuals should be discussed in the shader subforum.

FlightGear and TAF...

Postby berkut » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:22 pm

OK guys I would like to ask something...

I was wandering around some airports lately,among them is UHMA Ugolny airport in the far east of Russia. It's quite close to the Alaska actually,but anyway. So downloaded the airport ,and expected the weather to be accurate...no way near.

It seems that FG Weather can't work with TAF format,which is unbelievable,since the fact that a lot of airports in the world use that format,and here in FG,we can't have the realistic weather of those airports. Sp the question sis,is there any way to get the actual weather from the airports with TAF? And,if not,is there anyone working on it? I mean,FG seriously needs that.

Regards and thanks
A winner is a dreamer who never gives up...
berkut

Callsign: Berkut
Version: 2017 3 1

Re: FlightGear and TAF...

Postby ludomotico » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:40 pm

You are right, FlightGear does not support TAF (as far as I know) But it does support METAR reports, and I strongly believe these are the reports you are talking about. Remember:

- METAR: a report about the current weather conditions at the airport
- TAF: a forecast of the weather conditions for the next 24 hours at the airport

In both cases, remember they are describing the weather exactly at the airport. Sometimes, it is different from the weather in a near town. In fact, the weather conditions on one end of the runway might be different to the conditions on the other end, and in this case the METAR includes data for both ends of a runway.

Check you are using the option "fetch real weather online" in the launcher, and check you are using this information inside FlightGear: Environment->Weather->Conditions="Live data".
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby berkut » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:00 pm

Yes I know what is TAF and how it works,but FG should support that format. And I really mean it.

The only setting of weather that I use in FG is Live so ,that one is ok,for sure. :D

Cheers
A winner is a dreamer who never gives up...
berkut

Callsign: Berkut
Version: 2017 3 1

Postby ludomotico » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:26 pm

Please, reconsider your understanding of what information a TAF includes. If you really know what a TAF is, you'll realize these sentences doesn't make any sense:

berkut wrote in Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:22 pm:It seems that FG Weather can't work with TAF format (...) and here in FG,we can't have the realistic weather of those airports. Sp the question sis,is there any way to get the actual weather from the airports with TAF?

No, there is no way to get the actual weather with a TAF because a TAF doesn't include information about the current weather.
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:14 pm

I would love if forecast = actual weather. It never seems to.
Why would you want to use a forecast and pretend it is the actual weather?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Return to Weather