Board index FlightGear Development Weather

Cloud strange roll

Everything related to weather simulation, visuals should be discussed in the shader subforum.

Re: Cloud strange roll

Postby Thorsten » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:46 pm

Um... why? I just told you a few posts above that AW uses the same technology as BW for clouds via fgcommand and we know that the issue is with that hard-coded system (and I am the AW developer) and Stuart even identified the likely transform - so I admittedly don't get why you pick a random line of a completely unrelated part of the subsystem that we can be relatively sure doesn't cause the issue and suggest it as the culprit.

I know you're trying to be helpful, but such random finger-pointing really is not - what really happens as a result is that people skim what's written and later remember wrongly that the issue is somehow with this and that - and so we get all these pretty misconceptions about how things work that are so hard to get rid of.

Did you try to understand from the code what coordinate is rotated here? The name of the file gives a hint - it deals with weather tiles, not clouds (and clouds don't know of tile coordinates, they're placed using (lat/lon/alt).
Thorsten

Postby V12 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:15 pm

I didn't analyze code. So I was in mistake that clouds placement is somehow linked with the weather tile.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:15 pm

@V12: i would probably have thought the same thing if i had seen that "Coordinate rotation" message in a console like you did... especially after "transform rotations" was just commented about right above your post... the key link between the two being the word "rotation"... so we both would have had 2+2=5 which is true for sufficiently large values of 2 :lol:
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:01 pm

I was out walking this morning and saw some clouds that reminded me of AW's sometimes-rotated clouds. Not being very bright in the early hours I thought that I had to restart AW before I realised that was impossible :mrgreen:

I wonder are the clouds rotated as a feature, and not a bug? :P
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Previous

Return to Weather