Board index FlightGear Development Weather

Click here if you want autostart AW

Everything related to weather simulation, visuals should be discussed in the shader subforum.

Click here if you want autostart AW

Postby onox » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:17 pm

Download start_aw.nas and put it in your FGDATA/Nasal/ folder.
Last edited by onox on Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
onox
Retired

Re: Click here if you want autostart AW and ALS

Postby MIG29pilot » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:23 pm

Why would one need a special file to do that?
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby Hooray » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:40 pm

how does this interact with reset/re-init (changing location/aircraft) ? Is it working properly ?
Have you considered getting in touch with Thorsten to get this reviewed/integrated as an optional feature ?
Note that we've had a number of discussions related to this particular patch.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby onox » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:18 pm

MIG29pilot wrote in Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:23 pm:Why would one need a special file to do that?

How would you otherwise have ALS and AW started automatically?

Hooray wrote in Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:40 pm:how does this interact with reset/re-init (changing location/aircraft) ?

ALS, shaders, and AW seems to remain enabled when doing a reset and changing location via "Select Airport".

Hooray wrote in Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:40 pm:Have you considered getting in touch with Thorsten to get this reviewed/integrated as an optional feature ?

No, he has said that it is impossible to start AW automatically.
Last edited by onox on Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onox
Retired

Postby punkepanda » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:35 pm

Most thorsten can't or will not do himself he says impossible. Or he try to make you loose faith in doing it yourself . Get used to it. Time and community often prove him wrong or get him on the right track.. But making a big discussion about it is just a waste of time.
"Dont ask, just fly" (new slogan) lol

Good work!! Not having the possibility to have this option on on every startup is making the FG community and developers look funny stupid with no sense of logic.
Last edited by punkepanda on Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
punkepanda

Callsign: LostFlight
Version: 2.12

Postby Thorsten » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:40 pm

How would you otherwise have ALS and AW started automatically?

Shader selections are user-archived, i.e. need to be configured once and are then set for every FG version. Selecting ALS per session or the shader quality level is completely unnecessary.

No, he has said that it is impossible to start AW automatically.

What he actually said is that it would be easy (and posted a one-liner to do it in the forum) but that it's not wanted by a sizable fraction of core developers. But why bother with details?
Thorsten

Postby Lydiot » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:45 pm

onox wrote in Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:18 pm:No, he has said that it is impossible to start AW automatically.

Like he said, it seems some think it would be undesirable to have it auto-start by default. I can't entirely disagree with that. Having the option to auto-start it is great (thanks! :D ), and a better dialog box for the setting (as far as the GUI is concerned) would also help.
Lydiot

Postby punkepanda » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:46 pm

Thorsten wrote in Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:40 pm:What he actually said is that it would be easy (and posted a one-liner to do it in the forum) but that it's not wanted by a sizable fraction of core developers. But why bother with details?

The community dont want a "Remember my settings" option in the setting??
Lets take a vote on it then.. Omg! Where do you get your consensus from :lol:
punkepanda

Callsign: LostFlight
Version: 2.12

Postby onox » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:49 pm

onox wrote in Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:18 pm:ALS, shaders, and AW seems to remain enabled when doing a reset and changing location via "Select Airport".

Maybe I lied a little, thorsten said in viewtopic.php?f=69&t=26221&start=15#p242702 that AW needs to be reset when you change to a different airport. But if I know the signal to listen for, that's easy to fix.

Thorsten wrote in Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:40 pm:Shader selections are user-archived, i.e. need to be configured once and are then set for every FG version. Selecting ALS per session or the shader quality level is completely unnecessary.

About the shaders: you're right about that, I had a --prop in my .fgfsrc file to set quality to 0. Removing:

Code: Select all
--prop:/sim/rendering/shaders/quality-level=0
--prop:/sim/rendering/quality-level=0

Makes ALS persistent as well. I've edited the gist to just start AW. Thanks.

Thorsten wrote in Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:40 pm:but that it's not wanted by a sizable fraction of core developers. But why bother with details?

Is that really still true? IMO Basic Weather needs to go away and AW should remain.
onox
Retired

Re: Click here if you want autostart AW

Postby LesterBoffo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:05 pm

What he actually said is that it would be easy (and posted a one-liner to do it in the forum) but that it's not wanted by a sizable fraction of core developers. But why bother with details?

'like'
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:56 pm

-
Last edited by legoboyvdlp on Wed May 16, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:00 pm

@onox I hope not! With AW on it is sometimes hard to have fps above 5! For me! What about Johan - do you get 10 with it on?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby onox » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:16 pm

Are you hiding the menubar, pilot list, and those fps counters? PUI harms your fps much more than AW does, and I see a lot of screenshots with PUI elements on them :(
onox
Retired

Postby Johan G » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:06 am

onox wrote in Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:49 pm:IMO Basic Weather needs to go away and AW should remain.

legoboyvdlp wrote in Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:00 pm:@onox I hope not! With AW on it is sometimes hard to have fps above 5! For me! What about Johan - do you get 10 with it on?

Well, I actually use ALS and AW all the time now, and at between 10 to 30 fps depending on terrain complexity and cloud coverage, but that is for the price of 800 x 600 px resolution and 10 km visual range. :wink:

Depending on the cloud cover I would guess I loose between 3 and 5, maybe sometimes even 10 fps due to ALS and AW. Somehow I get the impression that AW with 3D clouds is less expensive than regular weather with 3D clouds though.

At the other hand I have lately been flying a lot around the island Gotland in the Baltic Sea, so I might get less performance over land (I suspect in particular over mountainous terrain).
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Thorsten » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:52 am

IMO Basic Weather needs to go away and AW should remain.

Short-sighted. Stop assuming everyone else uses FG like you do. There are several use cases which AW does not deliver:

* multi-monitor setups driven by multiple FG instances - the BW random cloud algorithm produces the same pattern on every monitor, the AW algorithm does not (the huge variability AW delivers is usually a virtue, but not here)

* weather sync over MP - the BW weather patterns will be more similar than the AW ones if both get the same METAR (again, the variability - AW assumes that the same METAR may refer to different cloud configs, which is true in the case METARs following each other in time, but not for METARs being interpreted for the same time on different machines)

* performance testing - BW allows you to define a specific set of atmospheric conditions, AW does not and in general gives you very little control over details - thus, if you want to train an approach in windshear, you need BW, AW can't do this

* (possibly more)

As to performance, my impression is that the weather system management routines don't feature much - it's the number of clouds to be rendered that counts. I would suspect that for clear skies both BW and AW have negligible performance impact and that all in all the cloud density and rendering range sliders influence performance more than the weather engine. So it's completely natural that sometimes AW and sometimes BW has better performance - in particular broken layers are probably more efficiently rendered by AW, whereas AW also has framerate hogs like Stratocumulus layers.
Thorsten

Next

Return to Weather