Board index FlightGear Development Weather

Model view always snow

Everything related to weather simulation, visuals should be discussed in the shader subforum.

Model view always snow

Postby KL-666 » Mon May 25, 2015 12:55 pm

When i am climbing and in the mean time watch other aircraft on the ground or do tower view, the landscape gradually gets more snow. I think the wrong temperature is used, namely my current temp at alt. I would expect the temperature at ground level to be used. Probably that of the metar.

If i set landmass shader to halfway, the issue is not there. I am on 3.4, but i think i saw it 3.2 also.

Kind regards, Vincent
KL-666

Re: Model view always snow

Postby Thorsten » Mon May 25, 2015 1:40 pm

This is one more prominent of a handful of issues which occur once you separate plane and eye position too much.

While the renderer itself takes a strictly eye-centered approach, the environment simulation it relies on (in ALS quite heavily) takes a very airplane-centered perspective - if they're too far apart, mismatches occur.

The most general fix would be to duplicate the environment simulation to provide for airplane and for eye position (you'd find yourself running two instances of AW then to make sure you always see the right clouds at the viewpoint for example).

It's not really clear to me why we'd want to support this though. Why do we need to support e.g. tower view at arbitrarily large distance? My preferred solution, should we this really need one, would be to simply switch tower view off based on a distance cutoff.
Thorsten

Postby KL-666 » Mon May 25, 2015 3:55 pm

It is not so much tower view that i use. I like the model view very much when flying at fl 380 and have nothing better to do than view others landing. There is already a distance cap of 100 miles i believe. That is fine as far as i am concerned. I also understand that it is performance wise not feasible to get exact weather at other locations. That really does not bother me. Only the frozen up landscape is a bit annoying, because i can hardly make out the runway where the people i watch land. Changing only the temperature part of the weather in model view would make the big difference. On the other hand i can stay on half landmass shader. The landscape looks still good then. Just wanted to bring this most prominent issue/feature under attention, so i may be able to use full landmass shader in the future.

Kind regards, Vincent
KL-666

Postby Thorsten » Mon May 25, 2015 4:29 pm

Move the snowline up in environment settings - that should do the trick unless you're very far off / very high.
Thorsten

Return to Weather