Board index FlightGear Development Weather

Reloading real weather produces better results!

Everything related to weather simulation, visuals should be discussed in the shader subforum.

Re: Reloading real weather produces better results!

Postby Thorsten » Mon May 18, 2015 6:07 am

There's a /Docs/ folder in FGData containing lots of documentation.
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Mon May 18, 2015 5:41 pm

wow! there sure is... i wasn't aware of it and had found no pointers in fgfs to it... at least none that seemed obvious...

question: is README.local_weather.html the one you referenced earlier when you said that advanced (detailed??) weather used to be local weather? if so, can the document be renamed and updated?

also, there's some discrepancy in the use of advanced and detailed... here we're calling it AW or Advanced Weather but in the simulator it is labeled Detailed weather... can this also be dealt with somehow to avoid confusion?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Thorsten » Mon May 18, 2015 6:18 pm

question: is README.local_weather.html the one you referenced earlier when you said that advanced (detailed??) weather used to be local weather? if so, can the document be renamed and updated?

also, there's some discrepancy in the use of advanced and detailed... here we're calling it AW or Advanced Weather but in the simulator it is labeled Detailed weather... can this also be dealt with somehow to avoid confusion?

Yes, that's the relevant readme.

Ah well, it's political. Calling it 'Advanced Weather' in the GUI didn't sit well with everyone. Internally it's still called local weather everywhere in the code. What can I say?
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Mon May 18, 2015 6:28 pm

:lol: i hear ya! :lol:
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby tigert » Mon May 18, 2015 6:34 pm

The question I have sometimes pondered too, is whats the difference in advanced weather settings called "metar" (obvious) and "realistic weather"? Is the weather patterns only in "realistic weather" and not in metar mode? Is Metar not realistic? :-)

I guess I should dig into the docs too.

//Tuomas
tigert

Postby Thorsten » Tue May 19, 2015 7:19 am

It's the difference between 'realistic' and 'real' if you like - 'realistic' is asking the offline weather engine to produce weather changes that could happen in reality, METAR is asking the online-weather engine to produce weather close to what is really happening in reality at the moment.
Thorsten

Previous

Return to Weather