Board index FlightGear Development Weather

Live Data METAR OVC with '///' might not be parsed

Everything related to weather simulation, visuals should be discussed in the shader subforum.

Live Data METAR OVC with '///' might not be parsed

Postby mjanicki » Sun May 03, 2015 5:26 pm

Hello, all.

I've been flying in New Zealand the last few weeks where overcast conditions below 1000ft have been the morning norm, so I've noted this issue for at least a couple of weeks. When Live Data pulled METAR contains the '///' modifier for overcast cloud cover, no overcast layer appears in the sim. As an example, the current METAR for NZCH that I just tried is:

NZCH 031600Z AUTO 02004KT 9999 OVC007/// 09/08 Q1026 TEMPO BKN010

If I manually configure an overcast layer, the weather engine includes it. If I select an airport in some other part of the world which I know is also overcast but reported without '///', then the weather engine includes the reported overcast layer as per the METAR report at the new airport. As far as I can tell, the layer is only dismissed in cases where overcast is reported as 'OVCnnn///', at least in New Zealand.

As always, I'm probably just doing something wrong. :) But I thought I'd mention in just in case it is a small system problem. Thanks.

04 May 2015 Edit
Having a closer look, I realize that it is not just the overcast layer that is being affected by some kind of failure to parse '///' in the METAR string. QNH/inHG, temperatures, additional cloud layers, effectively anything in the METAR string touching *or after* the '///' is not showing up in FG weather. I looked at /environment/metar/data (containing the actual METAR string) and all of the information is there. However, looking at /environment/metar/pressure-inhg, /environment/metar/pressure-sea-level-inhg, /environment/metar/temperature-degc, and any of the cloud layers shows that none of the information from the METAR string is getting through.

If I manually edit the /environment/metar/data string and remove the '///', all of the information in the METAR report is instantly updated in the sim. That's a temporary way to get around it, but it will be overwritten on the next METAR grab so doesn't help in the long run.

Hopefully that info will allow someone who knows more about the METAR parsing to see what's happening. Thanks again.

-- Mike
Happily flying on VATSIM using FlightGear!
VATSIM Pilot P1
mjanicki

Callsign: N22SF
Version: 3.4

Re: Live Data METAR OVC with '///' might not be parsed

Postby Johan G » Tue May 05, 2015 3:51 pm

What should the '///' be interpreted as, or rather, what does it mean?
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby abcaster » Tue May 05, 2015 5:20 pm

http://www.lfv.se/sv/FPC/AISMET/Kodnyckel/

Missing Type of Cloud or Data Missing
abcaster

Callsign: LNRCX
Version: 2018.2.0

Postby sanhozay » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:44 pm

For those of you compiling 2016.2.0, I believe I've fixed the problem with these forward slashes, so METAR strings like this should now work, giving cloud layers as specified, valid temperature and pressure:

NZCH 031600Z AUTO 02004KT 9999 // OVC007/// 09/08 Q1026 TEMPO BKN010
sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ
Version: Git

Return to Weather