Board index FlightGear Development Weather

METAR and temperature

Everything related to weather simulation, visuals should be discussed in the shader subforum.

METAR and temperature

Postby Necolatis » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:38 am

I have tried different METAR codes to try and change /environment/temperature-degc, but the temperature does not change.

Is the temperature a function of air-pressure only?
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Re: METAR and temperature

Postby Necolatis » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:50 pm

Just started at Thule Airbase. It has M21/M25 in METAR, still the outside temperature is around 15degC.

Made a feature request: https://code.google.com/p/flightgear-bu ... il?id=1701
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby Thorsten » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:58 pm

Doesn't seem to be parsed from the string for some reason... I suggest to report this to the list.

If you need a testbed, AW offline system sets temperatures and you can use the offset to push any weather scenario below zero.
Thorsten

Postby Necolatis » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:05 pm

Actually I did some more patient testing.

It does seem to be semi-implemented, the issues is just that it can take very long to reach that temperature, and that its only the startup METAR that decide the temp, any further metar updates will be ignored it seems (for a couple of minutes at least):

If I start up at Thule with M21 in METAR, the temperature starts to decrease with about 1 degC per 5 seconds, down from 15degC. So takes a couple of minutes to reach the temperature.
After it has reached -10degC and still descending, I relocate to KNUQ and get a 14 degC in METAR, however the temperature keeps decreasing towards -21degC.
After some further minutes, it slowly starts to go towards the correct temperature, this time even slower, about 50 seconds for each degreeC.

So there is 2 bugs:
1 - It starts with wrong temperature and only slowly goes towards the correct one.
2 - Updating metar wont update the temperature until after a while, and this time even 10 times slower than the initial very slow rate.
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Return to Weather