Board index FlightGear Release candidates

Confused about version ...

Release candidate testers are encouraged to post their feedback here. Please read the introduction topic for details.
Forum rules
Please read the introduction topic for details.

Confused about version ...

Postby Oswald » Thu May 07, 2020 10:20 pm

Hello pilots and developers,

after several years with FG I am still and again a bit confused about FG version.

My last (and well working) version is 2019.1.1

The website and sourceforge say that the latest version is 2018.3.5

In download.flightgear.org there is a 2020.1.1 rc version, rc = release candidate I guess.

Does this mean 2020.1.1.rc is the stable version for current download? For testing in real life and bug reporting or just for flying?

Regards, Oswald
Oswald

Re: Confused about version ...

Postby vanosten » Fri May 08, 2020 6:22 am

2018.3.5 is the latest sable version with long term support.
2019.1.1 is the current release, but not with long term support. I.e. some severe bugs might be corrected in a minor version, but most bugs will just be fixed in an upcoming version.
2020.1.1 is the next release (currently a release candidate, and therefore for testing). Like 2019.1.1 it is not a long term support release. It is probably the last release before the next long term release, which means it has a lot of new features, but they are not battle proofed.
2020.2 is the planned next long term release, which will get bug fixes over a long period.
Maintaining osm2city. Contributing with ground attack stuff to the OPRF FlightGear military-simulation community.
vanosten

Pronouns: he/his
Callsign: HB-VANO
Version: latest

Postby Oswald » Sat May 09, 2020 8:39 am

Thank you! That is to say, if I am happy with 2019.1.1 I stick with it, if I want to try and test new features (I am very much interested in Swift), I get 2020.1.1 and possibly report any real life bugs. Is that the idea?
Oswald
Oswald

Postby Isaak » Sat May 09, 2020 9:06 am

Correct. You have to be aware that the occasional crash might occur. Bummers when flying on Vatsim, but most of the time it works good ;-)
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: next

Return to Release candidates