Board index FlightGear Release candidates

2016.1.0 joystick programming causes crashes

Release candidate testers are encouraged to post their feedback here. Please read the introduction topic for details.
Forum rules
Please read the introduction topic for details.

2016.1.0 joystick programming causes crashes

Postby dilbert » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:26 pm

Windows 8.1 running on AMD 4-5000 APU with Radeon Graphics 1.5 GIG; Windows 7 Home Premium running AMD 4 3420 APU with Radeon HD graphics 2.8 GIG;
Windows 8 running on Celeron CPU N2830 @ 2.16 GIG. Flying F14 using Logitech Supreme Joysticks.

Totally wiped all vestiges of 3.4.0 on all three machines and installed 2016.1.0. Copied f14 to aircraft. Selected GEJSBSIM model. Very pleased with how program ran. Flight dynamics seemed better than in 3.4.0. All was well until attempt was made to program the "none" buttons on the Logitech Extreme joystick (3,7,8,9,10). Programming these buttons to perform any function did so, but also jammed the rudder and nose wheel hard left or hard right, so when starting on the runway the aircraft veered off, and if already flying it went into an uncontrollable bank . You can watch this happen on the runway in model view by programming any of the buttons . Re-programming the button to "none" does not fix the problem. Fortunately, resetting the joystick to default does clear the fault. Happily, the throttle, buttons 3,4,5,6 (flaps and trim), and 1 (brakes) are logical and work fine, so the aircraft is readily flyable using keyboard for other functions.

Revisited problem, which still exists today. Note that Logiteck 3d Pro works interchangeably between FX and FlightGear, provided you don't try to program buttons 2,7,8,9, or 10. Doing so slaves the rudder and nosegear
to the throttle, with unfortunate results. Resetting the stick returns it to the default settings, which clears the errors.

Thinking the bug might be in the stick programming routine I modified the default program itself in 3.4.0. to circumvent any problem in the programming routine. The revised default routine programmed button 7 for gear down, 8 for gear up, and 10 for toggling speed brake. Unfortunately, when program ran the various functions worked, but the rudder and nosewheel slaved to the throttle as before. Since 2, 7,8, and 10 remained programmed, the problem could not be cleared by resetting. Whereas "esc" worked "exit" was somehow deactivated. Had to resort to the task manager to get out. Restored the original default program from backup, but problem persisted .(menu bar didn't want to display so couldn't use reset). Deleted Flightgear.org from roaming-still persisted. Uninstalled and reinstalled-still persisted. Ended having to search $FG and delete similar files to clear error. Nasty little bug. Like the Logitech, especially having buttons 11 and 12 programmed for toe brakes which facilitates maneuvering on the carrier deck, but it's a shame buttons 2,7,8, 9, and 10 can't be used.
Last edited by dilbert on Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dilbert

Callsign: db1
Version: 220.3.19

Re: 2016.1.0 joystick programming causes crashes

Postby dtlan201 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:54 am

Make sure you delete http://wiki.flightgear.org/$FG_HOME then it will work
dtlan201

Callsign: MIA0774
Version: nightly

Postby Johan G » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:31 am

Did you program the joystick buttons directly in the joystick configuration file with a text editor, in the joystick dialog in FlightGear or with some software included with the joystick.

If you used a vendor provided software it could make a big difference. I modified and extended my first joystick configuration file before installing drivers (as it worked right out of the box) but after installing drivers all my settings went nuts and I had to do it all over again as installing the driver renumbered all joystick buttons! :| :roll:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby dilbert » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:55 pm

I had not used a vendor's software. However, had switched and reprogrammed between FlightGear and FSX, which possibly
could have triggered the problem. I had also programmed Saiteck sticks at one point or another on all three machines..Note that throttle position controls rudder and nose gear position. Crazy. Thanks for responding. Best, Dilbert

Reinstalled 3.4.0 on one machine, and found same thing happened, so either all my sticks are messed up, or it's a problem with the stick programming
routine for the Logitech Extreme 3D PRO in both program versions, and one that's around awhile.
dilbert

Callsign: db1
Version: 220.3.19

Return to Release candidates