Board index FlightGear Release candidates

3.7 A different TerraSync problem

Release candidate testers are encouraged to post their feedback here. Please read the introduction topic for details.
Forum rules
Please read the introduction topic for details.

3.7 A different TerraSync problem

Postby VicMar » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:55 am

When a scenery object has been moved using the update process, the change is shown correctly on the mapserver, but when I run 3.7 the object is still rendered in it's old position and the .stg file has not been updated.

AFAIK new models and placing shared models input works OK.

This problem started before 3.7 was available and I had hoped it would be cured with the new release, however it seems no-one else has picked it up.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Re: 3.7 A different TerraSync problem

Postby VicMar » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:51 am

Having discussed this with the scenery team, investigations proved it was my 'Client' (whatever that is) which was not pulling the updates from TerraSync.

The solution was to remove the FlightGear folder from my Mac's hidden files ( ~/Library/Application Support/FlightGear ), which caused the whole file to rebuild from scratch the next time I started FlightGear.

That is a bit of a drastic solution, but I'd already tried everything else suggested.

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby Necolatis » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:06 am

If you run with the option --console do you get errors like this?:

file remove failed: (C:/Users/Nikolai/Documents/FlightGear/TerraSync/Models/.terrasync_cache) reason: Permission denied

Ignore the first part of the path, that is from windows, don't know how it looks on Mac.
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby VicMar » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:51 am

Hi Necolatis,

Thanks for joining in on this problem. I've just removed the 'Solved' marker because the drastic measure of deleting the FlightGear folder from my hidden files only brought my FG up to date at that time. It appears to have decided not to update my test object update yesterday.

I'm going to wait for todays TerraSync update to make sure it isn't waiting to be processed today.

Assuming the problem still exists I'd like to see if I get the report you mention, but on Macs the console gives dozens of reports - Which report should I be looking for?

There are already fgfs.log and fgfs_0.log in my hidden files ( which is where the TerraSync folder, TerraSync cashe etc. are kept.) but they do not appear to have any reports like your suggestion has. If I remove the TerraSync cashe it is replaced next time I start FG, but that doesn't make the update take effect.

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby ludomotico » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:35 am

Probably, you don't need to remove the whole TerraSync directory. Just removing the terrasync-cache file, inside the TerraSync directory, is probably enough to force a check for an update of the scenery.

This file includes some timestamps with the last time your local scenery was updated. I strongly believe there is some code somewhere saying "if the last update was less than a week ago, do not contact the server for an updated file". It is a good compromise to save bandwidth in the terrasync servers, but it may bother scenery developers because they don't see their updates immediately.

On the other hand, the timestamps are in "seconds since the epoch" format... but the epoch is defined differently in Linux and IOS. May this fact confuse the terrasync client? The code to manage this terrasync-cache file probably deserves a check.
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby VicMar » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:36 pm

Hi Ludo,

Removing the terrasync-cashe file doesn't have any effect except to slow down the initial load while it downloads the scenery where I am spawning (EGKA). The .stg file is not being altered.

I'm waiting until after today's TerraSync update to see if my test input was just delayed for a day. I'm told one of the developers is looking at a TerraSync problem which might include this, so I remain hopeful.

Cheers,

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby VicMar » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:41 pm

UPDATE

Todays TerraSync update did NOT update my .stg file. I repeated the removal of the terrasync-cashe.xml from the FlightGear folder and launched FG again, but it had no effect on the result.

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby f-ojac » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:39 pm

Yes, the update does appear on the Terrasync server part, but is not downloaded client-side. So it's probably due to a bug on Simgear James is working on (ie : it's code, not infrastucture).
f-ojac

Version: GIT

Return to Release candidates