Board index FlightGear Release candidates

Please test the 3.6 RC

Release candidate testers are encouraged to post their feedback here. Please read the introduction topic for details.
Forum rules
Please read the introduction topic for details.

Re: Please test the 3.6 RC

Postby Hooray » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:27 pm

clrCoda wrote in Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:10 pm:Gosh my pet peeve is that one can not scroll thru the route manager at Sids and Stars if they are installed, because the dropdowns don't seem to have a way to add scroll bars, said zakalawe to me in IRC years ago.

to be fair, since I am now a little familiar with the PUI widget set (having prototyped the pui2canvas parser), I don't think that this is necessarily an accurate statement about PUI limitations.

In fact, should you feel a little adventurous, I would suggest to make a copy of $FG_ROOT/gui/dialogs/route-manager.xml and then open it in an xml editor.

Next, you can navigate to the "combo" widgets for the SID/STAR controls, and replace the opening/closing "combo" tags with "list" instead:

as per $FG_ROOT/Docs/README.gui:
list
----

like "combo", but displays all values in a scrollable list box with
slider on the right side. Updates the <property> to the selected
entry. On <dialog-update> re-scans the <value> nodes and updates
the list.

(I don't know if the underlying C++ code is sufficiently clever, so this may cause a crash)

EDIT: See: http://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/mai ... /28621165/
Last edited by Hooray on Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby clrCoda » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:38 pm

Getting a bit more brave for me, I began to test the Moving Map thingy you mentioned above, but loaded at a deserted airport and noticed you mentioned 'pilots in range' so I moved to KSFO and was immediately reminded that the splash DOES work with out Rembrandt, but for me, only on RESET ( as I 'moved' to KSFO using Select airport )

You can just see the proof as I quickly remembered to take the shot.

Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby clrCoda » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:42 pm

moving map test

Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby Hooray » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:08 pm

yeah, great - so the Canvas/MapStructure code is working correctly even for people on AMD/ATI hardware with buggy drivers (this is using the exact same code that the map-canvas dialog is using, it's just not embedded in a pui dialog as a pui widget).
Regarding your previous posting - that is kinda to be expected, because the reset/re-init code paths are not quite the same as those that are used during initialization (startup/booting).
To summarize, according to your tests, a native Canvas UI should work perfectly well for you, and others, on AMD/ATI hardware as long as it is not using any PUI stuff - so no workarounds needed anymore.
Equally, native Canvas displays (PFD, ND, EFB etc) should work properly, too.

To see if there are any issues with certain effect/shader levels, you would want to re-run those tests using different quality settings - possibly in conjunction with Rembrandt.

But in the long-term, Canvas may even help those interested in Rembrandt, because Rembrandt needs a handful of rendering buffers to work, so called "offscreen rendering targets" (RTT/FBOs) - which is exactly what Canvas is really good at - so at some point, it would make sense to re-implement Rembrandt rendering buffers using Canvas FBOs, which would also help unify the rendering back-end.

Thanks again for all your testing, and please do feel ecouraged to spread the word on having an INTEGRATED Canvas UI using a parser for people on ATI/AMD hardware who currently have to use workarounds, because that will help even regardless of the UI, i.e. for features like 2D panels, the HUD and the splash screen, and it will also enable the OSG optimizer to do certain optimizations that it cannot do as long as all the legacy GL code is running in the main loop

The waypoint/scrollbar issue could probably be split off and continued elsewhere (if it works ...)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Hooray » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:15 am

clrCoda wrote in Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:05 am:Flightgear still crashes if exit with a dialog open. Adding bug report:
http://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/codetickets/1811/

This is a bug in the way the FlightGear/PUI integration is using Nasal:

Code: Select all
#0  0x08c9d6cb in naHash_get ()
#1  0x08707265 in FGNasalSys::createModule(char const*, char const*, char const*, int, SGPropertyNode const*, int, naRef*)
    ()
#2  0x08461738 in FGPUIDialog::~FGPUIDialog() ()
#3  0x08461a10 in FGPUIDialog::~FGPUIDialog() ()
#4  0x08477b87 in NewGUI::shutdown() ()
#5  0x08d02a8f in SGSubsystemGroup::shutdown() ()
#6  0x08d02d2f in SGSubsystemMgr::shutdown() ()
#7  0x082fbb2f in FGGlobals::~FGGlobals() ()
#8  0x082fc190 in FGGlobals::~FGGlobals() ()
#9  0x0830642e in fgMainInit(int, char**) ()
#10 0x082c9cf7 in main ()

I know how to fix this, but I would rather see the pui2canvas parser improved so that Canvas would be used for these purposes, which will make it easy fix, and avoid, such issues in the future (you can see for yourself by keeping a Canvas dialog open and exiting then (no segfaults then).
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby clrCoda » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:03 am

Yes, I witnessed just what you said, Hooray.

Even having the Nasal dialog open when using it to call the canvas exit dialog you had me run, hitting the exit switch of the exit dialog to close the simulator and that was the first time I have experienced the simulator shutting down without crashing with a dialog open.

Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby clrCoda » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:06 am

I failed to mention that the 'cancel' of that exit dialog didn't seem to 'cancel' the dialog and instead printed an error code in the Nasal Dialog instead, so you see the exit dialog in several of the pics above.
--Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby Hooray » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:06 am

yes, thanks for reporting - you are right: I orginally prototyped the whole thing using just exit.xml, because it's such a simple dialog - but subsequently, I began adding more features, including support for embedded Nasal - the way the code on the wiki currently works is that it expects ALL dialogs to have embedded Nasal blocks, but that is obviously wrong - as you noticed when loading exit.xml - it is trying to run non-existent Nasal code when you click the cancel button.
I will update the wiki article shortly - but like I said elsewhere, the parser is mainly intended to be a proof-of-concept that will need to be extended (or even re-implemented from scratch) should people decide that they want to use this approach - so it really is far from being polished.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Hooray » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:15 am

I was gonna check the list (scrollbar) thing you mentioned, and at least here, the route manager dialog sems totally borked and ends up crashing FG immediately, even if I just select KSFO/KSFO as origin/destination airports (prior/during rwy selection):

Code: Select all
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x085f0384 in RoutePath::commonInit() ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x085f0384 in RoutePath::commonInit() ()
#1  0x085f1687 in RoutePath::RoutePath(flightgear::FlightPlan const*) ()
#2  0x08601494 in flightgear::FlightPlan::rebuildLegData() ()
#3  0x08601cbc in flightgear::FlightPlan::unlockDelegate() [clone .part.29] ()
#4  0x086040ee in flightgear::FlightPlan::setDestination(FGAirport*) ()
#5  0x083e664a in FGRouteMgr::setDestinationICAO(char const*) ()
#6  0x083ec9c5 in SGRawValueMethods<FGRouteMgr, char const*>::setValue(char const*) ()
#7  0x08cc546f in SGPropertyNode::set_string(char const*) ()
#8  0x08cc160b in SGPropertyNode::setStringValue(char const*) ()
#9  0x0845f759 in FGPUIDialog::applyValues(std::string const&) ()
#10 0x082dd103 in do_dialog_apply(SGPropertyNode const*) ()
#11 0x08cd81b9 in SGBinding::innerFire() const ()
#12 0x0845f415 in action_callback(puObject*) ()
#13 0xb763686c in puInput::invokeDownCallback() () from /usr/lib/libplibpu.so.1
#14 0xb7631854 in puMouse(int, int, int, int) () from /usr/lib/libplibpu.so.1
#15 0x084af5c2 in FGMouseInput::doMouseClick(int, int, int, int, bool, osgGA::GUIEventAdapter const*) ()
#16 0x084af6c7 in mouseClickHandler(int, int, int, int, bool, osgGA::GUIEventAdapter const*) ()
#17 0x088835a5 in flightgear::FGEventHandler::handle(osgGA::GUIEventAdapter const&, osgGA::GUIActionAdapter&) ()
#18 0xb7a6edfc in osgViewer::Viewer::eventTraversal() () from /usr/lib/libosgViewer.so.99
#19 0xb7a7090c in osgViewer::ViewerBase::frame(double) () from /usr/lib/libosgViewer.so.99
#20 0x088891b8 in fgOSMainLoop() ()
#21 0x08306405 in fgMainInit(int, char**) ()
#22 0x082c9cf7 in main ()

Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Bug Bunny » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:19 pm

I will test it tomorrow after download, I had some issues with earlier version for sure. Will check. Also, will look at this viewtopic.php?f=37&t=27511

Edit: bugs found! Including pretty nasty ones. Will post later today
Last edited by Bug Bunny on Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bug Bunny

Version: 3.6.0RC

Postby clrCoda » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:52 pm

I discovered and I believe reported that routemanager crash some time back ( 3.4 maybe) but the
problem seems to be when selecting the same airport for depart and arrive.
The workaround seems to be to fill out the departure first, Airport, Rwy, sid, then to fill out the arrival, Airport, rwy, Star or approach and then there should be no crash.

Should work until the fix is in.
--Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby Hooray » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:54 pm

that's more than just a little unfortunate, and it would probably make sense to file a proper bug report - the segfault is not even at the UI level, but deep in the navcache/route path territory apparently
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Bug Bunny » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:52 pm

Everything was tested on default Cessna, so I don't know if those bugs appear on other plains.

Bugs:
+ When playing tape, plane flies with its shadow just below it (can not reproduce anymore :S) - https://i.imgur.com/E3nWEsR.jpg
+ Changing via airport "Location -> Select airport" causes Cessna bounce 100-200m into the air and crash violently - try several times to catch it.
+ Stopping some flight records make big bounce and damage to the Cessna (if recording stop somewhere at ground).
+ Aircraft bounce on game loading if you fool around with alt+tab or launch it in background.
+ Red random building bug (of course it is in ALS on/off, could be mitigated by setting lowest quality or model shader to min)
+ Red screen after Cessna crashing, no indication what to do now, reset/restart or whatever.
+ Ending replay when in flight will reset Cessna and stop its engine, so I need to restart it again in flight (not sure if it is a bug)
+ Cessna jiggle and slight moving on brakes when 5 ms wind behind (was detected ones), but taking off is ok (happens spontaneously)
+ Partial search by ICAO in launcher is not working (like typing UK does not give me UKON, UKOO etc)
+ Launcher not saving settings on quit
+ Default tab on launcher is always "settings", it does not remember my tab of choice.
+ Checklist menu list for Cessna is too large even on large monitor. / https://i.imgur.com/DncKB4n.png
+ Walker jump animation will block the view when he jumps (in first person view)

Enhance:
+ "Use point sprites for runway lights" - please make it automatic, if it is not working properly on ATI cards turn it off automatically! (please! on/off/auto)
+ "Mouse is controlling" bullon in the middle of the screen (why?), maybe move it somewhere to unblock the view at least.
+ Aircraft tab in launcher: Height of the aircraft entries is fixed, but width of the image of an aircraft can be different and text is displaced a little to left or right, would be nice if pictures and text will be lined up/resized properly (height should be fixed as it is now).
+ When I switch with alt+tab between simulator and other programs flightgear will change its mouse behaviour (TAB key).

I will test it some more later.
Last edited by Bug Bunny on Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bug Bunny

Postby Thorsten » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:01 pm

+ "Mouse is controlling" bullon in the middle of the screen (why?), maybe move it somewhere to unblock the view at least.

There's a view option to switch it off.

+ "Use point sprites for runway lights" - please make it automatic, if it is not working properly on ATI cards turn it off automatically! (please! on/off/auto)

For me, these settings are saved properly upon exiting FG cleanly - so you need to set this once as a user. Even if that doesn't work, you could edit preferences.xml.

+ Red screen after Cessna crashing, no indication what to do now, reset/restart or whatever.

Guess you're dead after the crash... ;-)

+ Ending replay when in flight will reset Cessna and stop its engine, so I need to restart it again in flight (not sure if it is a bug)

I have a suspicion you're expecting quite a lot of the replay function. Not sure if it was ever designed with all of this in mind. Also, there needs to be a lot of customized stuff done airplane-side for complex planes to preserve all animations, ...
Thorsten

Postby Bug Bunny » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:21 pm

Not sure if it was ever designed with all of this in mind.

I'm not sure either, I just want to help you as much as I can (reasonably) to make a +/- good release without bugs in your face.
Also, I remember another graphic glitch that is quite ancient, and you probably know it, it is when FG just started and you look around, when you look behind, you will get just 1-2 big freezes for few seconds (caching?), I've measured it and plotted on the graph https://i.imgur.com/MEov3pb.png, first spike is a first freeze when I look ~160 deg to my right and second big freeze - when I look to my left, after that my fps is totally smooth without any stutter/freezes. Is this a bug?
Also 2, launcher -> location tab has "On 10-mile final", when I set it, I spawn in air but with engine off, is this correct?
Bug Bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Release candidates