Board index FlightGear Release candidates

Please test the 3.6 RC

Release candidate testers are encouraged to post their feedback here. Please read the introduction topic for details.
Forum rules
Please read the introduction topic for details.

Re: Please test the 3.6 RC

Postby someguy » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:34 am

^ Nimitz is good. ;)
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby Thorsten » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:35 am

This bug can only be solved by commenting out the two prototypes, so, yes it is serious

My understanding (largely based on googling the error message and Edward's tests) is as follows:

* the shader compilation fails if the function in question is declared in the header, regardless of whether it is actually used or not, i.e. commenting out the function in the body doesn't help, it has to go completely

* the Noise2d and Nosie3d functions are liberally used all over the terrain rendering, they seem to run fine there or we'd see black terrain all over the place, so there's no indication that anything is problematic with them as such, they just don't compile in the particular context of the thruster flame function

* I've found a few places in which the error message given was explained to be linked to a bug in the driver

* there appear to be workarounds to the driver bug, however my knowledge of GLSL is largely on the algorithm side - I don't know how to apply dirty tricks around roadblocks on the driver level

* I don't thing we can declare a function in a shader conditionally - the only thing that could be done to run something conditionally is to write a condition into the effect and run a different shader if the condition is true. We seem to have some ability to test for architecture, but I'm frankly not sure if we want to start that kind of workarounds assuming the root cause is with the driver

Given these circumstances, a posted instruction how to deal with it if it appears seems a viable strategy to me.
Thorsten

Postby rafa_elds » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:26 pm

I have the very same problem in Windows 10, Nvidia GT 630. But commenting out the mentioned lines did not change anything.

Warty wrote in Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:46 pm:Image

That seems to have fixed it, by commenting out the following lines in
FlightGear.app/Contents/Resources/data/Shaders/thrustflame-ALS.frag

Code: Select all
//float Noise3D(in vec3 coord, in float wavelength);
//float Noise2D(in vec2 coord, in float wavelength);

and
//if (use_noise ==1)
//   {
//   noise = Noise2D(vec2(pos.x - osg_SimulationTime * 30.0 , d_rad), noise_scale);
//   }

Cheers! :D
Rafael dos Santos
rafa_elds

Version: 3.7nightly

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:04 pm

KL-666 wrote in Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:32 am:Sorry wkitty, system is not at all a problem here. i7, 12gb, gtx 670 mx. Please learn for the better of flightgear from the test work i do.

i see and read all public posts so yes, i do see what you write and i understand it... all i said was that it appears that you are running afoul of a known multi-player and AI problem... more information and testing is needed to find the fault causing the problem you are seeing...

my comment was triggered by you saying that an a330 spawned at an airport where you were located and that is exactly one of the symptoms... you also mentioned the erj-195 causing you problems when it appeared at an airport where you were located... again, the same symptom... the solution? removing the craft that caused the crash which is what you apparently did to recover and be able to run fgfs again... that points exactly to the problem i mentioned...

i have no comment on the terrasync problem because i do not use terrasync... it is much too slow over my connection... i use terramaster to pull all my scenery files ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Thorsten » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:04 pm

I have the very same problem in Windows 10, Nvidia GT 630. But commenting out the mentioned lines did not change anything.

That would indicate that it is in fact a different problem ;-)

What plane (i.e. is it the F-14 bug Richard already identified)? Any errors related to shader compilation to the log file (something with 'fragment' or 'vertex' in it)?
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:05 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:40 am:Actually, wkitty you can replace the glider with any model you want. KSFO terminal 2. The daedelus. The f-14. Whatever ;)

yes, i'm aware of that... i can just see someone replacing it with the a330 and continually crashing any time they see another craft they don't have loaded ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby chriscalef » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:24 pm

Just downloaded the RC and tried it on win 7, 2.7GHz AMD, 4G RAM, with the result of functional fgrun all the way up to the point of starting FG, and then instant crash. Sent in automated bug report, haven't had time to diagnose further, except to try it several times from different angles. FG executable crashes hard every time.

I do intend to do a 3.6 build soon, so I could try to run it in debug mode, but it may not be possible within the next couple of days, unfortunately.
chriscalef

Postby Hooray » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:49 pm

the startup log file, located in $FG_HOME, would be good to have.
Note that those crash reports just end up being stored on a server without anybody necessarily taking a look - which mainly due to the lack of manpower
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby chriscalef » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:22 pm

Hm, it doesn't appear to have gotten to the point of making a log file... would it be fgfs.log? I'm always confused by the global directories and variables in FG, I'm wondering if my 3.6.0 version is trying to point to some old data or something? I did find a modified fgrun.prefs, if that helps at all:

; FLTK preferences file format 1.0
; vendor: flightgear.org
; application: fgrun

[.]

version:30600
fg_exe_init:F:\\Program Files (x86)\\FlightGear 3.6.0\\bin\\fgfs.exe
fg_exe:F:\\Program Files (x86)\\FlightGear 3.6.0\\bin\\fgfs.exe
fg_aircraft_init:C:\\Users\\Chris\\Documents\\FlightGear\\Aircraft
fg_aircraft:C:\\Users\\Chris\\Documents\\FlightGear\\Aircraft
ts_dir_init:C:\\Users\\Chris\\Documents\\FlightGear\\TerraSync
ts_dir:C:\\Users\\Chris\\Documents\\FlightGear\\TerraSync
fg_root_init:F:\\Program Files (x86)\\FlightGear 3.6.0\\data
fg_root:F:\\Program Files (x86)\\FlightGear 3.6.0\\data
fg_scenery:C:\\Users\\Chris\\Documents\\FlightGear\\Custom Scenery;F:\\
+Program Files (x86)\\FlightGear 3.6.0\\fgdata\\Scenery;C:\\Users\\Chris\\Documen
+ts\\FlightGear\\TerraSync
fg_scenery_init:C:\\Users\\Chris\\Documents\\FlightGear\\Custom Scenery;F:\\
+Program Files (x86)\\FlightGear 3.6.0\\fgdata\\Scenery;C:\\Users\\Chris\\Documen
+ts\\FlightGear\\TerraSync
airport:23Q
airport-name:Meadowlark Field
carrier:
parkpos:
runway:<default>
scenario-count:0
x:72
y:87
width:1026
height:600
aircraft:Dragonfly
aircraft_name:Moyes Dragonfly
random_objects:0
random_trees:0
terrasync:0
fetch_real_weather:0
time_of_day_value:morning
time-match-real:1
time-match-local:0
start-date-sys:0
start-date-gmt:0
start-date-lat:0
time_of_day:0
aircraft-mru-item-1:Dragonfly;Moyes Dragonfly
aircraft-mru-count:5
geometry:1024x768
aircraft-mru-item-2:A6M2-Bombable; A6M2 Zero (Yasim, Guns/Bombable)
aircraft-mru-item-3:bo105;Eurocopter Bo105
scenario-item-1:BOMB-MarinCounty-TwoZeros
fullscreen:1
ai_models:0
ai_traffic:0
show_cmd_line:1
specular_highlight:1
clouds3d:1
aircraft-mru-item-4:sopwithCamel-YASim-Bombable;Sopwith Camel 1F.1 (YASim, Guns/
+Bombable)
aircraft-mru-item-5:sopwithCamel-YASim;Sopwith Camel 1F.1 (YASim)
horizon_effect:0
callsign:
multiplay1:
multiplay2:
chriscalef

Postby Hooray » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:15 am

that sounds like fgrun (the launcher, a separate program) may not be working correctly - so you are well-advised to try fgfs standalone, and check $FG_HOME

http://wiki.flightgear.org/$FG_HOME
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby superlou » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:59 pm

Torsten wrote in Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:45 am:Linux users don't need a download link :-)

Sorry for the dumb quesiton, but since the edge PPA contain builds of 3.7, what's the recommended way for Linux users to test the 3.6 RC?

Edit: I'm dumb. Found pre-release.
superlou

Postby KL-666 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:28 pm

There are some very serious problems in the MP section of this version. I have no idea what it is. There were no meaningful messages in the log.

Yesterday i tried to participate in the Usa Tour with some 20 other aircraft. Flightgear would crash soon after being started up near that 20 planes. To exclude any aircraft and memory arguments, i removed all the aircraft i have installed, and tried again. Still flightgear crashed soon after startup. It seems like the number of aircraft only is enough to crash it.

With 3.4 i have already flown with some 20 others without any problem whatsoever, and with all my installed aircraft active. 3.6 is in this condition unusable for me, so i reverted to 3.4.

Kind regards, Vincent
KL-666

Postby chriscalef » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:10 pm

Hm, with my problem, it doesn't appear to be caused by FGRun. I often start FG with a batch file, so I set one up for this version, using the following commands:

"F:\Program Files (x86)\FlightGear 3.6.0\bin\fgfs.exe"  --aircraft=Dragonfly --fg-root="F:\Program Files (x86)\FlightGear 3.6.0\data" --fg-aircraft="F:\Program Files (x86)\FlightGear 3.6.0\data\Aircraft"  --fg-scenery="F:\Program Files (x86)\FlightGear 3.6.0\data\Scenery" --timeofday=morning --airport=23Q

Still a hard crash right after the splash screen, not sure what's up.
chriscalef

Postby superlou » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:23 pm

Back with that dumb question for Linux testing via the flightgear-prerel PPA. I am trying to install the "flightgear-data" package from it, but Ubuntu (Linux Mint 17.2) doesn't see it. Is it a result of the version not being tagged with the Trusty distribution? Is there a way to force the install? Flightgear requires flightgear-data 3.6 to complete it's install, and because the data package isn't found, it complains it can only install the 3.0.0 data from the Mint software sources.
superlou

Postby Hooray » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:24 pm

@chriscalef: it should create a log file in $FG_HOME
if not, please try the minimal startup profile first and report back with the results
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

PreviousNext

Return to Release candidates