Board index FlightGear Media Challenges

C182S Ferry flight Scotland->Canada

Screenshot and video challenges. Send in your nicest media!

Re: C182S Ferry flight Scotland->Canada

Postby Aboim2 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:30 pm

Yes you're right!
I am sorry being pointing you in the wrong direction!
Try to find a similar aircraft.
Aboim2

Version: 2020.3.13

Postby AR-1 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:38 pm

Here is my first leg of this fabulous challenge. Without thinking too much I just started following VOR Stornoway at 321 degree and kept the heading when I lost contact about 100 nm out. After experiencing icing early on I couldn't climb over 6000 ft until 170 nm when I climbed free of icing to 12000 ft with a nice tailwind. As everything was running smoothly I accelerated the simulation until I reached my descent point. About 200 nm before destination I got a signal from VOR BIKF and to my surprise I was pretty much on course. In the descent I got hit again by icing, so I made a steep dive to low altitude and stayed there for the rest of the flight. At the landing I was greeted by a strong wind and was close to a crash, but luckily all went well after all. As I have an old laptop my settings for the flight were 'Low Specification' with '3D Clouds' for rendering and 'Basic Weather' with 'Live Data' for the weather. Even so the experience was absolutely realistic, thanks to all the devs of this great Flight Simulator.

AR-1

Callsign: AR-1
Version: next

Postby david.megginson » Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:48 pm

Go north! It's not obvious in a Metcator projection how close everything is.

A COPA (Canadian AOPA) member flew from Canada to Europe in a 182 for real a decade or so ago. They got permission to fly from the military field in Alert, Canada (CYLT) to somewhere in northern Norway.

FWIW, Alert to Svalbard, Norway (ENSB) is only 753 nm, and Svalbard to Hasvik, Norway (ENHK) is 479 nm — you could almost do it without a ferry tank (depending on your risk tolerance for reserves).

https://skyvector.com/?ll=70.8518812196 ... NSB%20CYLT
David MEGGINSON (he/him)
I need more tea.
Scenery: FlightGear Americas Scenery
Fediverse: @david_megginson@mstdn.ca
david.megginson

Pronouns: he/him

Postby Cyber_Gamer » Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:38 pm

HB-SIB wrote in Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:38 pm:Here is my first leg of this fabulous challenge. Without thinking too much I just started following VOR Stornoway at 321 degree and kept the heading when I lost contact about 100 nm out. After experiencing icing early on I couldn't climb over 6000 ft until 170 nm when I climbed free of icing to 12000 ft with a nice tailwind. As everything was running smoothly I accelerated the simulation until I reached my descent point. About 200 nm before destination I got a signal from VOR BIKF and to my surprise I was pretty much on course. In the descent I got hit again by icing, so I made a steep dive to low altitude and stayed there for the rest of the flight. At the landing I was greeted by a strong wind and was close to a crash, but luckily all went well after all. As I have an old laptop my settings for the flight were 'Low Specification' with '3D Clouds' for rendering and 'Basic Weather' with 'Live Data' for the weather. Even so the experience was absolutely realistic, thanks to all the devs of this great Flight Simulator.

What program do you use for the map, Little Navmap? And if so, how do you make it work with FG?
Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 9 4900HS, RTX2060 Max-Q, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Cyber_Gamer

Callsign: cyber

Postby AR-1 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:03 pm

The map is Viking (GPS Data and Topo Analyzer, Explorer, and Manager).

For this flight we don't use a map or GPS. I recorded the flight and then displayed and analyzed it with Viking from the standard Debian repository.
AR-1

Postby merspieler » Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:31 pm

Cyber_Gamer wrote in Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:38 pm:Little Navmap? And if so, how do you make it work with FG?

If you wanna know how to make lnm work with fg, look at this: https://gitlab.com/tgasiba/fgconnect

(Been over a year since we used it but back then it worked well once properly setup)
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler

Postby AR-1 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:39 pm

My second leg of this challenge (very challenging indeed)

I started heading 282 from BIKF VOR, climbed to 4000ft where I was met by icing conditions. So I had to stay below this altitude, until at 200nm there was even worse icing, what forced me down to 2000ft. As it turned out even this low I was not safe from icing, when at 300nm I was surprised by more icing and flying low already avoided crashing into the sea by pure luck. After this wake up call I stayed always well below the altitude where I suspected icing conditions. When I reached the first ice shelf of the coast of Greenland, I decided to stay near the sea because I didn' dare to climb over the mountains. So I followed the ice-water line until I got a signal from Prins Christian Sund NDB and then flew direct to it. After Prins Cristian Sund I received the signal BGBW NDB and tried to avoid any high mountains. At this time I realized that fuel will be an issue, so I slowed down to 90kts. In the end I arrived with only 5.6 gallons left, what again was only due to luck and not because I knew what I was doing.

Image Image
AR-1

Postby benih » Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:36 am

Nice report :)
And cool that someone actually picket up the challenge :)

Thanks for the viking hint, just installed it and will try somewhere in the future.
How do you actually record the GPS track, couldn't find an option to do so?
benih

Callsign: D-EBHX

Postby david.megginson » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:44 am

HB-SIB wrote in Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:39 pm:In the end I arrived with only 5.6 gallons left, what again was only due to luck and not because I knew what I was doing.

Well executed. These days, in real life, you'd never try that without removing the rear seats and plumbing in a ferry tank (and a GPS with terrain data for Greenland), and even then, you might wait days or weeks at each stop for the right weather to continue. In the old days, well, Lindbergh survived on pure luck, and lots of ferry flights across the Atlantic in WW2 simply never arrived.

I dealt a lot with avoiding icing layers during my two decades of flying small planes -- it's a fact of life in Ontario and Quebec -- and even though it was virtual, your narrative left me feeling a little shaky. Your virtual pilot flew very close to the Pearly Gates on that flight.
David MEGGINSON (he/him)
I need more tea.
david.megginson

Postby AR-1 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:57 am

@benih
Thanks. I guess it was about time someone picked up on it ;) I only have the hardware to run FG since last year and discovered this challenge only recently.
To record the flight I use IGC format with the following FG option (that's for 10s interval, if you want 1s replace 0.1 with1):
--igc=file,out,0.1,myflight.igc
Afterwards I use gpsbabel to convert it to GPX, there's even a GUI in the Debian repo.
Last edited by AR-1 on Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AR-1

Postby AR-1 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:01 pm

@David
Thanks for your kind words and good to know you're a real pilot. I need to investigate those Pearly Gates, seems to be interesting.
Last edited by AR-1 on Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AR-1

Postby benih » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:32 pm

HB-SIB thank you :)
benih

Callsign: D-EBHX

Postby david.megginson » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:21 pm

HB-SIB wrote in Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:01 pm:@David
Thanks for your kind words and good to know you're a real pilot. I need to investigate those Pearly Gates, seems to be interesting.

Once you arrive in Canada, stop by CYRO and I'll buy you a virtual burger at Tony's Mile High BBQ (not yet modelled in FlightGear, unfortunately).
David MEGGINSON (he/him)
I need more tea.
david.megginson

Postby wlbragg » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:27 pm

Any idea why I don't have any DME or NDB radio signals at Keflavik? Using 110.90 DME and 431 for NDB. Using terrasync. Is there some kind of update needed?

I was thinking of trying the challenge using either the PA-18-fg1000 or the c172p-fg1000.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby AR-1 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:48 am

@wlbragg
Keflavik VOR NDB are 112.0 and 392 here.

@David
Of course I will stop by CYRO with your scenery installed ;)
AR-1

PreviousNext

Return to Challenges