Board index FlightGear Media Challenges

Paris Challenges: From Avenue Kleber to Wagram

Screenshot and video challenges. Send in your nicest media!

Paris Challenges: From Avenue Kleber to Wagram

Postby eatdirt » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:51 am

Dear all,
I am pretty sure many of our fellow simulation flyers know the "Champs Elysées" in Paris, and its beautiful Arc de Triomphe at the top, and even the Arch of La Défense even further ;)

Do you know "Avenue Kléber"? It is another beautiful, but small avenue, connecting the "Trocadero" to the Arc de Triomphe as well. Let me guide you to the touristic tour.

It is on your right-hand side in this picture facing the Champs Elysées:

From the inside of the avenue, you can see, here, in the background the "Trocadéro":

And, as said above, on the other side, you join the roundabout de l'Etoile where lies the Arc de Triomphe:

The gound is much better in reality than in this picture, but the traffic is actually much much worse:

The Arc de Triomphe itself is covered with fine art, roses on the ceiling, but you need to stop to be able to appreciate it. The following picture is a bit blurry, too slow exposure time I suspect, and I was a bit shaky on the camera too...

Finally, on the other side, you reach the "Avenue de Wagram", beautiful as well, but I was really happy then to take some altitude again, far too hot so close to the ground ;)

I made a little video summary of the tour, hope you'll visit the place as well!

visitingetoile.webm

PS: Before this stupid thing, I would not have guessed a plane could fly at 90 degrees roll!?!

Cheers,
Chris.
eatdirt

Re: Paris Challenges: From Avenue Kleber to Wagram

Postby erik » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:10 am

eatdirt wrote in Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:51 am:PS: Before this stupid thing, I would not have guessed a plane could fly at 90 degrees roll!?!

All planes can but depending on the speed it may require a very high beta-angle (angle between the forward verlocity angle and the pitch of the nose in 90 degrees angle).

Since the P-51D is a high speed aircraft it probably requires little beta to stay true. Oh and the propeller induced velocity does count too which is high for the Mustang.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Re: Paris Challenges: From Avenue Kleber to Wagram

Postby eatdirt » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:40 am

Since the P-51D is a high speed aircraft it probably requires little beta to stay true

Exactly, you can actually feel it. At first I thought it would be easier to target the hole at low speed, but then it is hardly stable. At the end, stability start showing up at around 250mph.

As a side remark, I've seen a lot of issues with the Paris scenery, I don't know if others have spotted this. Power lines and pylons do not honour the Rendering settings, they're always there, popping in even in the middle of the city. And, the default LOD settings are far too big for Paris, even with a GTX1080, the frame rate was going down to 5fps, I had to tune everything down (like less than 1 km for detailed LOD, less than 2 for bare etc...) to get something manageable (2020.3.3). Too bad, many building are actually very well designed and close to the originals!
eatdirt

Return to Challenges