Board index FlightGear Media Challenges

Screenshot contest for the new FlightGear VFR tutorial

Screenshot and video challenges. Send in your nicest media!

Re: Screenshot contest for the new FlightGear VFR tutorial

Postby Michat » Sat May 04, 2013 10:58 pm

GIJS, agree that airliners can be rather surprising o a VFR tutorial, however they are not out of the rule. VFR is a rule also for airliners.

Agree that those photos couldn't match the text, but I can't did what you say, what I did was to rescue some old photos and share them if maybe some were useful, for what I saw that this thread was blank, so i decided to contribute with some photos, then the author will decide if some of them are useful. Not a big deal. :wink:
Michat

Version: 191b

Postby chris_blues » Mon May 06, 2013 3:44 pm

Page 39:
If you have trouble downloading it, I can send it via email to you... Sorry bout the text in the lower left, I simply don't know what it means or even how to get rid of it...
Admittedly, this doesn't look soo different from yours, I have played with these environment-settings and local weather settings to bring in some more color and fog...
then again, it's not so nice a scenery in itself, not much there to look at...

If you have specific pictures you want to have made, you should let us know! :)

I'll go through the tutorial and try to make some on my own...

Cheers
chris

Edit:
Page 34:

Page 35:

Page 36:

Page 37:

Page 38:

Page 40:

Page 41:

Page 42:

Page43:

Here's a download of all pics in original size etc:
http://musicchris.de/public_pics/VFR-tu ... FGpics.zip

Nice trip btw! Thx! :)
Last edited by chris_blues on Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Debian stable 64bit - i7 8x2.8GHz - 20GB RAM - GeForce GTS 450
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Callsign: chris_blues
Version: GIT

Postby de profundis » Tue May 07, 2013 12:29 pm

Spectacular screenshots chris_blues !!
Many thanks !

they are downloaded but before I begin work on replacing the default images in the tutorial we must wait until May 10 - to decide the best page 39 image.
chris_blues wrote in Mon May 06, 2013 3:44 pm:Admittedly, this doesn't look soo different from yours, I have played with these environment-settings and local weather settings to bring in some more color and fog...
then again, it's not so nice a scenery in itself, not much there to look at...

yes, I realize now that this is a "poor" scenery area. On the other hand you and Eternal Fire made it look much more interesting compared to the default one I used. Some of my impressions regarding your screenshots:
    >> I fell in love with the last one from page 37 (Mono lake and Cirrus(?) clouds).
    >> looks like you made a very nice approach and landing.
    >> since they are so nice, they deserve extra space in the document. I had my screenshots shrunk so that the low resolution wouldn't be so apparent
    >> a request: page 31 Comanche image (free choice of frame and background)

Michat wrote in Sat May 04, 2013 6:22 am:Lets say this is not a contest, is a meta contribution for this excellent megatutorial. Be free to share.

Right on! (although "excellent megatutorial" might be too much... :oops: )
this contest thing is meant to inspire contribution and sharing.
your screenshots are among the best I've seen from FG. Some link?

Thorsten wrote in Fri May 03, 2013 11:54 am:That's probably an unclassified terrain patch which gets mapped by default to forest - so you need a regional definition for SW USA which maps those to desert.

if I understand correctly, this will not go out or change nomatter what in-game display settings someone uses.
what is your oppinion, as a developer and eye-candy expert, for the screenshots already submited?

eycharisto
(thanks)
Michalis
Cross Country Tutorial II - a VFR guide all that's VFR and more...!
de profundis

Callsign: SX-ATM M-J4MC
Version: 3.4

Postby Johan G » Tue May 07, 2013 12:48 pm

@chris_blues: Nice! :shock: 8)

I need a better computer, I get that fps with all shaders off except water shader, no random objects, no random vegetation, no 3D clouds, and while staying away from more developed and trafficked airports (i.e. KSFO). :lol: (At the other hand, given the specs of my computer it runs FlightGear really well, see my profile.)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Thorsten » Tue May 07, 2013 1:06 pm

what is your oppinion, as a developer and eye-candy expert, for the screenshots already submited?

When in doubt, compare with the real thing:

Imagejpg[/img]

We'll note that

* the forest belt may actually be real, in which case we're just in for bad luck with the scene - short of having better land classification, Bishop is going to look too blocky
* texture of the shrublands around the town works actually pretty well - we could use a tad more dust perhaps, but...
* I think that's pretty much as good as it gets in default terrain

I need a better computer, I get that fps with all shaders off except water shader, no random objects, no random vegetation, no 3D clouds, and while staying away from more developed and trafficked airports (i.e. KSFO).

Yes, you do - I get 60 fps with all goodies on in this scenery and more than 80 km visibility 8)

Sorry bout the text in the lower left, I simply don't know what it means or even how to get rid of it...

You took the ufo and clicked somewhere into the scene, which triggers the object placement feature of the ufo, it placed a cursor and indicated the fact to you by the green message. Well, actually you placed 12 cursors. There's a key to delete placed objects, just look up the ufo helpfile.
Thorsten

Postby chris_blues » Tue May 07, 2013 1:55 pm

Thanks! Though I don't think it's the top of the line, of what FG can do. I haven't even looked up, where exactly I have been flying. So, competitors! There's room for improvement, I think.... :wink:

Wasn't so easy to find the right spots to picture your landmarks! :) Had to circle them very often to find some perspective approximating yours...
The approach, I actually had to do twice, I missed some timings and places in the first run, and because the replay option seems to bring my machine to some limit, always, when I ended replay to continue the flight it has that moment of passing control back to the plane, when it has a big hick-up, and on the spot I have to recover the plane from serious turbulence! After a second it's all back to normal, except for the planes attitude... Not so easy... Had to interrupt the flight quite some times, then again, there were enough airfields to restart from. But that messed up my idea of providing the FlightRecorder-Tape. That would have made it easier for others to redo the whole flight and make some screenshots of the places without having to search them...
Anyway, I had big fun, trying to repace your steps.

What I thought, as well, maybe it would help, if you provided some Metar or sth. The ATIS - well, I just wasn't able to translate it into a proper METAR-String, so I chose the high pressure weather in the end...

One thing that confused me: You talked about setting first notch of flaps in the pattern, then the last notch of flaps on approach; I felt quite ashamed, I was only able to set flaps full or retract full. Didn't found out, how it is done on the comanche...

About that pic on page 31, I'll look into it right away...
...here we go:
Taken at LFLG - France PAF scenery - that's what you get, when you leave me free choice of place and frame :mrgreen:

and for the sake of correctness, here's one taken at KRNO:

Cheers
Last edited by chris_blues on Tue May 07, 2013 3:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby chris_blues » Tue May 07, 2013 1:57 pm

Sorry bout the text in the lower left, I simply don't know what it means or even how to get rid of it...

You took the ufo and clicked somewhere into the scene, which triggers the object placement feature of the ufo, it placed a cursor and indicated the fact to you by the green message. Well, actually you placed 12 cursors. There's a key to delete placed objects, just look up the ufo helpfile.

I'll do that!
On the other hand, I guess, de Profundis will eventually crop them to fit the format of the pdf, so this small corner will end up in the trashbin hopefully. :)
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby Michat » Sat May 11, 2013 1:54 pm

@Michalis. I'll rescue more screenies, I'll send you more links as soon as possible.
Michat

Postby chris_blues » Mon May 13, 2013 9:56 am

Updated the zip-file, included the parking-pics.
Same link: http://musicchris.de/public/VFR-tutorial_FGpics.zip

Hopefully I can do the other shots you requested later today...

Cheers
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby Michat » Mon May 13, 2013 11:40 pm

@chris_blues, nice tour.

@Michalis, these are a few photos that I could rescue.

Cheers

Michat

Postby chris_blues » Tue May 21, 2013 8:15 pm

Sorry it took me so long to get this done, actually the pics are on my disk for some time now, but I didn't find the time and quiet to sort them out and all that. Now I'm getting to believe that it's never gonna happen, so before they fall to dust in the depths of my hard drive, I better send em to you and you can see for yourself!
Unfortunately I didn't get the colors right, I realized that afterwards. too bad. I hope these are worth sth to you, since I obviously did some things wrong this time... (This flight was about the double of time of what it took me the first time! :shock: I flew rounds and rounds to find the landmarks... :roll: )
well, here you go, I hope this helps somehow...
http://musicchris.de/public_pics/vfr-tutorial-pics_v2.zip

Cheers
chris
Last edited by chris_blues on Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby de profundis » Fri May 31, 2013 9:20 am

(sorry for being late to announce the obvious results - I got married in the meantime!) :D

chris_blues wins the contest !!!

now the FlighGear Cross-Country II tutorial comes with the magnificent screenshots he created !

these are so nice that I think other people who might had consindered submiting screenshots were discouraged...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
we will continue accepting screenshots for the tutorial but they will have to be unquestionably superior to chris_blues ones
in order to replace them in the document (for now it seems impossible, who knows..? in the future...)

Michalis
Cross Country Tutorial II - a VFR guide all that's VFR and more...!
de profundis

Callsign: SX-ATM M-J4MC
Version: 3.4

Postby Johan G » Fri May 31, 2013 11:46 am

de profundis wrote in Fri May 31, 2013 9:20 am:I got married in the meantime! :D

Congratulations! :D
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby chris_blues » Fri May 31, 2013 11:54 am

Congratulations! :)
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby Michat » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:55 pm

Excellent job for the tutorial. :D

Congratulations
Michat