Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Systems

Modelling Electric Motor and Batteries

Modeling aircraft systems, like electrical stuff, hydraulics, pneumatics? Feel free to ask support.

Modelling Electric Motor and Batteries

Postby zero_sync_rate » Wed May 29, 2019 3:15 pm

I'm considering building a detailed model for an RC plane and the biggest hurdle is modelling the electric power systems. As far as I know electric motors are currently specified as just a power rating and that power is controlled with the throttle. I'd like to create an RC model which I can specify typical motor properties such as motor Kv, resistance, and startup current, similar to Marc Drela's motor model: http://web.mit.edu/drela/Public/web/qpr ... theory.pdf. I'd also like to be able to specify a battery with number of cells, average cell resistance, and cell capacity in mah.

Was wondering if someone could offer some advice on how to proceed with this task. Is it best to do this with a NASAL script or to implement new functionality within the JSBSIM code? Are there other simulator models out there that have a more detailed electrical systems model that I could pull from?
zero_sync_rate

Version: 2018.1.1

Re: Modelling Electric Motor and Batteries

Postby Thorsten » Wed May 29, 2019 4:30 pm

JSBSim is very suitable for the task - closest example I can offer is the fuel cell model of the Space Shuttle electrical system which has a load-dependent voltage, degradation of fuel cell performance and such goodies - essentially it's quite easy to do that from scratch in JSBSim.
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Wed May 29, 2019 11:21 pm

FWIW: i don't know which one it is/was but i'm sure i've seen RC models in FG flying at KSFO... i have no idea which of the 600+ available craft in FGAddon are RC models, though...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Alant » Thu May 30, 2019 12:16 am

JSBSim has been used on many similar student projects such as yours.
I f you Google "jsbsim electric motors" you will come across many of these, and you may be able to contact some of those who have trodden this path.
Searching for JSBSim quadcopter, or JSBSim drone will probably turn up more.
Alan
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: from Git

Return to Systems