Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Systems

Ground services vehicles route? (777)

Modeling aircraft systems, like electrical stuff, hydraulics, pneumatics? Feel free to ask support.

Ground services vehicles route? (777)

Postby HTLocal » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:35 pm

Hi guys,

thanks for the encouraging start into this.
Would you guys be interested in some ground services work?

To get things going I started with some catering trucks, just to learn where to put things:

Now I was thinking animated trucks. Would you have a recommendation how to get into that?
I think a basic spawn and move into position would be nice to start out with.

Let me know if it is wanted for the official aircraft. I'm just messing around for myself so far.
I also blatantly ripped off the announcement system from the 787 because I like it so much. Was thinking about using different sounds, but haven't bothered so far.

Cheers and great project. I really like the 777-200.
HTLocal

Re: Ground services vehicles route? (777)

Postby Hooray » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:21 pm

Hi & welcome,

I would suggest taking a look at the wiki, specifically any related efforts that were recently announced/update, for instance: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Ground_Services

You could try to reach out to the people involved/interested in this and see how things unfold.
It is obviously a good idea to share your interests/background to see if you can find common grounds to work on this with others interested in some aspect of this.

Speaking in general, it does help not to make things too narrow (read: too aircraft specific), to get more people involved.
One of the most common failures around here is that people have a highly concrete project/effort or feature in mind, but seem unable to look at the bigger picture, i.e. they are often unable to see that there is tons of overlapping functionality, which could get other contributors involved, at the mere cost of generalizing things and making compromises/concessions (even if just temporarily) for the sake of the greater good.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Isaak » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:02 am

Hi there, great to see some work in this area! Please go ahead and ask anything you 'd like. I can always get your work committed in FGaddon. If you 'd model a fuel truck, please take a look at some of the more complex fueling systems that already exist (e.g. in the 787 if I 'm correct), because the current fuel & payload dialog doesn't feel quite realistic (in fact I always set my fuel through the property browser because you can't control the sliders precise enough. I have this on my long term todo list, but if you 'd like to take it up I would be very gracious!
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: next

Postby HTLocal » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:33 am

Hey guys,

thanks for the tips. I did some more reading and had a look into animations and also addons, as Hooray suggested.

My intention was indeed to get functionality that is available on other aircraft in the one I like to fly most. It would certainly be great to have a way that works for all.
Having said that though, this is a task that gets more difficult the more you think about it. Different types of aircraft require different types of ground ops, the door and fuel port positions would all need to be implemented in the aircraft, you restrict yourself to pretty much only one 3d model, except you build functionality to switch them out and what a mess would that be... Keep in mind I only just started with some simple stuff, so my experience is limited.
Other simulators have similar problems where you have drastic differences in functionality from plane to plane, so I wouldn't know of a way to make it work for everything.
The ground services project is great, but having a groundnet for every airport in the game seems impossible to me and I don't want ground ops like fuel truck and catering and such to be restricted by that.

For now I'll probably end up porting a lot from the 787 which has pretty much all I ever wanted. Later, it could be worth thinking about generalizing that and make it an addon like GSX (never used it but seen it in videos).
HTLocal

Postby HTLocal » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:17 pm

First iteration is done. I added some little tweaks here and there to integrate as much as possible with the 777s systems, but all in all it's pretty much identical to the 787s systems minus the de-icing truck.

The catering truck will move up to the door when toggled and the fuel truck can be used to set the fuel more precisely (has already been the case for 787).

^ docked jetway, fuel truck, external power unit ^

^ catering and baggage services ^

^ gear chokes ^

Next I'll be looking into expanding the fuel truck menu to let you switch to lbs instead of kg.

And if we only had some doors that would open 8)
HTLocal

Postby biloute974 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:03 am

Really nice, good job. 777 is my favorite plane and I'm really appreciate to see this plane evolve. Thanks a lot.
Intel I7 7700 - 16Gb DDR4 - Nvidia GTX970 - FG 2017.4.0 from D&C
biloute974

Callsign: U974
Version: 2016.1.0

Postby Isaak » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:31 pm

Great job! If you have something commit-able, just let me know, I 'm happy to see this implemented in the 777!
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Postby Isaak » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:24 pm

hi HTlocal, did you make any progress with your work? Is there a repo or the like I can check on? I 'm thinking of making some improvements in this area, but I don't want to interfere with your work. Thanks a lot!
Isaak

Return to Systems