Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Systems

Missing characters

Modeling aircraft systems, like electrical stuff, hydraulics, pneumatics? Feel free to ask support.

Missing characters

Postby mixam » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:23 pm

On pretty much any aircraft with a CDU, I find that a large portion of the letters and numbers that are missing, resulting in random spaces in the middle of words. This makes it difficult to understand some of the displays. Moreover, the words and numbers that do not appear vary from plane to plane. Strangely, this occurs on the aircraft loading screen (the one with the splash image and everything). I have windows 10 and flightgear 2017.2.1, however this problem occurred in previous updates of flightgear and the aircraft themselves. Anyone know why or how to fix?
mixam

Re: Missing characters

Postby Necolatis » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:33 pm

I know a guy who has the same problem. It seems to be due to Intel graphics driver OpenGL issues.
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore

Hangar: https://sites.google.com/site/fghangar/
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2019.1.2

Postby fb237 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:50 pm

I'll take it Necolatis was referring to me, and yeah, I had that problem with my Intel HD 4000 on Windows 8.1. I also dual boot with Linux on this system, and with the MESA driver, I do not get the same issues. It's a driver specific problem I believe, particularly with how Intel implemented OpenGL, try updating the driver if you are on Windows, though the problem still persists when I use FG on Windows (haven't done that in awhile), but they may have released a new driver in that time period (did not confirm).
fb237

Callsign: fb237
Version: next

Postby mixam » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:49 am

Could you specify exactly which driver to update? I updated the "Display adapters" driver and it seemed to have no effect.
mixam

Postby fb237 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:03 am

The graphics card driver would be the culprit in this problem. Seems you probably updated the correct driver. This is definitely not a FlightGear-related issue. Maybe let Intel or whomever your graphics card manufacturer is know that there is an OpenGL-related issue, developers can't fix what they don't know is the issue.
fb237

Callsign: fb237
Version: next

Return to Systems