Board index FlightGear Support Tools FGx

FGx 2.8.0 release for osx

A launcher for FlightGear.
Forum rules
Note that FGx has been unmaintained for years. Users may want to use the built-in Qt Launcher instead.

FGx 2.8.0 release for osx

Postby gral » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:08 pm

Hi all

Here you can download FGx 2.8.0 "final" for osx:
http://downloads.fgx.ch/OSX/FGx-2.8.0.zip

--------> Use the new rendering tab

--------> Choose free startup location with doubleclick on the map

--------> Save and load your FlightGear profiles

--------> Add one or multiple custom scenery paths ... and a lot of other new features.

Enjoy, gral
gral

Callsign: HB-GRAL
Version: GIT

Re: FGx 2.8.0 release for osx

Postby gral » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:32 am

Some additional notes:
  • FGx 2.8.0 is not tested on 10.5. It should work with 10.5 but feedback is much appreciated here or in the tracker: http://code.google.com/p/fgx/
  • Use Windows->Show logs to see separated logs of FlightGear, Terrasync, FGCom, FGx
  • Use Mode->Debug mode to start all processes separately
Thanks a lot, gral
gral

Postby F-JJTH » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:45 pm

Hi gral,

Your launcher is fabulous ! Thanks you very much for this launcher !

Cheers,
Clément
F-JJTH

Postby fabio777 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:53 pm

It works fine, but the runway lights are too big!
fabio777

Postby F-JJTH » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:31 pm

gral,

Is it possible to start fgx with parameter ? like fgrun. Exemple :
Code: Select all
./fgx --fg-exe=/my/path/to/fgfs --fg-root=/my/path/to/fgdata

In fact I prepare a merge request in order to add your excellent launcher to the "download_and_compil.sh" script created by brisa : https://gitorious.org/~f-jjth/fg/f-jjth ... 2d1da524cf
and these parameters can help to "pre-configure" the launcher for novice user.

Cheers,
Clément
F-JJTH

Postby gral » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:45 pm

Hi Clément

FGx has some standard profiles in src/resources/default to set this paths the first time when FGx is launched. You can add such a standard profile for the brisa script locations i.e., so no one needs to start FGx with ./fgx and presetting paths . Once it is started with such a profile on first tab (core tab) you can change paths individually, and save this as a different profile. You can also add additional command line arguments or environment vars to the profile, you’re free to use as many predefined options as you need i.e. for brisa distribution. The syntax is very easy, have a look to the osx_default.ini. (btw. we still miss a windows.ini, hope someone could care about this asap).

May I ask you to edit such a profile (i.e. brisa-script.ini or whatever name) and send it to me, or send a merge request to FGx repo? I will add this immediately.

Starting FGx with command line arguments directly for paths options I’m going to discuss meantime with the other developers, it’s interesting ... maybe there will be also some other use I don’t see at the moment. Implementation would take a while, unless someone will start to help to improve FGx exactly for this purpose at the moment. For me there remains a lot of other work the next weeks/months ...
gral

Postby Oscar » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:17 pm

I really like this launcher, but it doesn't seem to be working for me at the moment. I'm using OS X 10.8.1 (Mountain Lion) and the launcher itself works, but when I click on 'start' it won't start anything. So far I haven't found a topic here that already discusses it; is there one, or is this not solved yet? Thanks!
Oscar

Postby JM-26 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:57 pm

Oscar wrote in Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:17 pm:I really like this launcher, but it doesn't seem to be working for me at the moment. I'm using OS X 10.8.1 (Mountain Lion) and the launcher itself works, but when I click on 'start' it won't start anything. So far I haven't found a topic here that already discusses it; is there one, or is this not solved yet? Thanks!

Hi everybody,

It's the same for me with 10.6.8

Regards
JM-26

Callsign: JM-26
Version: 2.8

Postby gral » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:09 pm

JM-26 wrote in Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:57 pm:
Oscar wrote in Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:17 pm:I really like this launcher, but it doesn't seem to be working for me at the moment. I'm using OS X 10.8.1 (Mountain Lion) and the launcher itself works, but when I click on 'start' it won't start anything. So far I haven't found a topic here that already discusses it; is there one, or is this not solved yet? Thanks!

Hi everybody,

It's the same for me with 10.6.8

Regards

Is this the only FGx install you have or did you download and run a release candidate before? Is it a fresh FGx install and have you been asked to save your first profile as "New profile"?

I’m investigating, but I don’t get this behaviour on my 10.6 testing machine (also not on a 10.7 and 10.8 ). I guess there is a conflicting profile or conflicting preferences.

Many thanks for answering the questions above, gral
gral

Postby Oscar » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:15 pm

I had the last 2.8 release candidate and before that, also some version of FGx, I believe the 2.6 one. I had installed the release candidate, which also didn't work but then I installed this 2.8.0 release because I thought that could maybe solve the problem.

All I did to install this, was download it and overwrite the old FGx, as I think is described somewhere to be the correct method. Just now, I tested overriding old profiles and loading them again, but no success there either.

I hope this can help you a bit further!
Oscar

Postby gral » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:55 pm

Oscar wrote in Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:15 pm:I had the last 2.8 release candidate and before that, also some version of FGx, I believe the 2.6 one. I had installed the release candidate, which also didn't work but then I installed this 2.8.0 release because I thought that could maybe solve the problem.

All I did to install this, was download it and overwrite the old FGx, as I think is described somewhere to be the correct method. Just now, I tested overriding old profiles and loading them again, but no success there either.

I hope this can help you a bit further!

Hi Oscar

Sorry for that, I have to ask some other stupid questions but I want to exclude everything about wrong profiles or fgfs version in use. The issue pointed out here is a release candidate issue and shows somehow that there is something wrong with paths/preferences/profiles probably.

- Did you (re)move former FGx versions from your Application folder ?
- Did you copy/overwrite FGx in the application folder (and did not rename FGx) ?
- Did you launch FGx the first time from application folder or from i.e. the downloads folder ?
- Did you check when you startup FGx paths in core tab pointing to the right fgfs for sure (following the whole path and control it doesn’t point to the release candidate fgfs) ?
- Did you remove all files in oscar/Library/Preferences containing "fgx" ?
- What does the FGx window title show: "FGx 2.8.0" or "FGx 2.8.0rc4" ? (this is the most stupid question, I know :oops: )

Cheers, gral
gral

Postby Oscar » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:27 pm

That's ok, I know how annoying it can be to find a tiny little bug. And I suppose that's what we're dealing with here, as I somehow solved it!

First, to answer the questions:
- I did not remove the old folder, but see the next question:
- I dragged FGx from my Downloads to Applications, overwriting the entire old FGx folder
- Nope, the first time I launched it was from the Applications folder
- I did not, until a minute ago *
- I did not
- "FGxFlightGearLauncher - 2.8.0"

*I clicked the little 'folder' icon next to the "Path to FlightGear program (fgfs)" and it was correct. So I clicked 'cancel', as to make sure I would not change it to a faulty value on accident anyway. Then I did the exact same thing with the "Path to FlightGear data directory (fgdata)". Then I clicked Start and it worked! So to be clear: I opened FGx, went to the "Core Settings" tab and checked both the folders, but clicked Cancel and not Choose.

I'm pretty sure it was the fgdata folder, because: after checking the fgdata path, it warned me -even though I had clicked on cancel- "Importing can take a few seconds", so I clicked "Import" and it's working again.

So maybe it would be a good idea to somehow automatically recheck the fgdata path on startup of FGx?

I hope, and I'm sure that this will help you at least a bit further :D Good luck with it!
Oscar

Postby gral » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:11 pm

Oscar wrote in Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:27 pm:So maybe it would be a good idea to somehow automatically recheck the fgdata path on startup of FGx?

The check was here, maybe there is "something" broken with this code. I have to dive into the next days. Many thanks for reporting (it’s also reported at FGx tracker, so it doesn’t get lost). And hopefully happy flying with current FGx version, I’m happy that it worked finally and hope other users with the same issue can follow this thread and solve it too.

Thanks, gral
gral

Postby JM-26 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:43 pm

Hi Oscar,

I need your help to solve my problem. Despite your explanation, this still does not work.
Can you show me a screenshot of the "Core settings" page before start of FGX because I don't understand where should point the link of "Path to FlightGear program (fgfs)" and "Path to FlightGear data directory (fgdata)".

PS : Have you enabled Rembrandt ? It works ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards
JM
JM-26

Callsign: JM-26
Version: 2.8

Postby Oscar » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:27 pm

Hey JM,

Sure, I'll just write a quick guide below here so others can follow along as well:

Here's a screenshot of the Core settings:
I've marked the two folder icons, so you can see which ones I meant.

So first click the icon for "Path to FlightGear program (fgfs)", then click this:
Image => Image
And make sure the path goes (from bottom to top): <your computer>/Macintosh HD/Applications/FGx/Contents/MacOS and select fgfs there.
(it's partly in Dutch here; but most of the folders are English anyway, you'll figure it out :wink: )

For the "Path to FlightGear data directory (fgdata)", do the exact same thing, but check for: <your computer>/Macintosh HD/Applications/FGx/Contents/MacOS and select the folder named fgx-fgdata and click Choose.
If it asks about importing, click Import!

And that should do it! Thanks again gral for the awesome launcher :)

Oh and yes, Rembrandt works for me now, it's under the Rendering tab, look for "Deferred Rendering (Rembrandt)".
Oscar

Next

Return to FGx