Board index FlightGear Support Tools FGx

FGx 2.8.0rc2 for OSX

A launcher for FlightGear.
Forum rules
Note that FGx has been unmaintained for years. Users may want to use the built-in Qt Launcher instead.

FGx 2.8.0rc2 for OSX

Postby gral » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:28 pm

Hi all

Here is the download link to the next FGx release candidate for OSX >= 10.5: http://downloads.fgx.ch/OSX/FGx-2.8.0rc2.zip . The rc1 has been tested on different machines, I got some feedback and it seems to work. There are some minor issues I will work on until the official FlightGear 2.8.0 release which will be the release date for FGx 2.8.0 too I guess.

Please do not hesitate to use the FGx bugtracker to report FGx issues: http://code.google.com/p/fgx/
And please post also tons of feature requests there !

Now rc2 comes with an slightly different aircraft selection (777, A6M2, ASK13, ATC, b1900d, bo105, c172p, CitationX, f-14b, MPCarrier, Senecall, Snowplow!, Storch, ufo and ZLT-NT ---> this is closer to the official aircraft base package now). The reason for the different aircraft package is to reduce bytes to download. Zipped FGx rc2 download for OSX is going to 750 MB now with this selection, I would like to keep it around 700 MB, but how ;-) FYI the FlightGear version shipped with FGx is origin/release/2.8.0 branch from SimGear, FlightGear, fgdata, from today.

rc2 has HLA/RTI support with OpenRTI libraries if someone wants to start a RTI experiment ;-) You need to read the wiki about HLA/RTI to see what you can do here. For the moment you need the "Additional Command Arguments" on "Expert" tab to use it. Future versions of FGx will have a RTI tab, pending enhancement ...

But beside of RTI, further easy and simple testing of FGx rc2 on different OSX, using fgcom and other multiplayer-network-tools-options is very welcome !

Thanks, Cheers, gral

Please note: FGx is just (oh no !) another launcher, the official launcher for FlightGear still is FGrun and for OSX macflightgear. While FGrun and macflightgear are not cross platform, FGx is because it’s built with qt. The OSX version has a fully functional FlightGear application in the bundle, for different reason for now, linux and windows user can use the "launcher only version" for starting their own FlightGear installs. But also OSX users can run every FlightGear install with FGx, just set the paths to the FlightGear binaries and your data. Have a look !

Edit: Removed link to the FlightGear tracker, seems to be confusing.
Last edited by gral on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gral

Callsign: HB-GRAL
Version: GIT

Re: FGx 2.8.0rc2 for OSX

Postby CharlieTheNinth » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Hello Gral,

I'm not sure where to post this, but this thread seemed the most appropriate one.
I have an issue with FlightGear on the new Mac OS X Mountain Lion: FlightGear simply won't start up. FGx, however, starts up effortlessly. I reported this issue on http://code.google.com/p/flightgear-bugs/ including some copy-pasted command lines from the console, but I just wanted to let you know through the forum as well.

In FGx, I tried several different settings and locations, but since none of them seemed to make FlightGear work, I presume the issue lies elsewhere. Thanks for making this RC possible though :)

Hänsel
CharlieTheNinth

Version: 280rc2

Postby gral » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:55 pm

Hi Hänsel

First many thanks for testing FGx 2.8.0rc2. I fear this a FGx issue and not a FlightGear one. That's why I set the issue in the FlightGear tracker to "invalid". Now I ask you to post the issue in the FGx tracker here: http://code.google.com/p/fgx/

May I ask you to post the full log there. In top menubar in FGx you will find "show logs" which opens a window with separated logs for FGx and FlightGear. Try to start FlightGear again with your settings and then after it fails please copy both logs and post it to the FGx tracker.

Thank you very much, Cheers, gral
gral

Postby CharlieTheNinth » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:45 am

I now posted the logs on the FGx tracker. Do you want me to post them in this thread as well?

Also, I used to make new sound files for aircraft to make them sound more realistic, but it seems that I can't access the FlightGear data folder anymore... This was possible with the old FlightGear launcher. I simply had to click the "open FlightGear Data folder" button and I could access all the scripts and files of FlightGear so I could edit them. Is there a way to access the FGData folder through FGx?
CharlieTheNinth

Postby gral » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:24 am

It’s the same mountain lion problem like showed up in another thread in the mac forums. I will have a look today.

When you’re looking for the fgdata folder: right click on the FGx icon and open the bundle. Doubleclick on "Contents", "Resources" and ther you will find the data folder. But please note that with FGx you can set *every* fgdata folder as your fgroot, so when you change the path to the fgdata folder on first tab in FGx you will need to have a look where this points to.

-gral
gral

Postby CharlieTheNinth » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:51 pm

Thanks a lot gral.
CharlieTheNinth

Postby gral » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:23 pm

gral wrote in Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:24 am:It’s the same mountain lion problem like showed up in another thread in the mac forums. I will have a look today.

-gral

Just to add a note, I’m preparing a FGx 2.8.0rc3 with svn support in the bundle. Will be ready in the next few hours, I already tested it on a fresh mountain lion install and it seems to work as expected. (I would NOT recommend the xcode/svn hack proposed in the mac forums, even it will also work for FGx of course).

Cheers, gral
gral

Return to FGx