Board index FlightGear Development New features

What can I do?

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

What can I do?

Postby rafa23189 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:45 am

Hi!
Im a 4th grade electronic engineering student, Ive had a C course and I know a little python too. I get on wll with physics. What can I do? I thought about design of new instruments (I cant design planes because my two pcs have intel graphics). what else?
My brother is a 737ng pilot, maybe I can ask him for some information about the Fmc.

Is there a light and free 3d design software? Something that runs on intel graphics pcs.
Cheers
Rafa
rafa23189

Re: What can I do?

Postby Hooray » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:32 am

With your background there are many possibilities actually.
Personally, I would suggest to stay within the confines of the base package, i.e. refrain from touching the C++ core source code, and instead concentrate on scripting.
FlightGear has a fairly well documented scripting language that can be used for doing many interesting things.

You mentioned physics and designing a new instrument, some time ago we talked about implementing a so called "FLARM" (wikipedia/google) in FlightGear using just Nasal scripting and some textures: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9547&p=96003#p96003

A "FLARM" is basically a very simple TCAS-like device for glider pilots. It permanently recomputes 3D trajectories to provide situational awareness for pilots. This could be easily done for both, AI traffic as well as multiplayer traffic.

So such a project would comprise a fair amount of physics and maths, and it would be about creating a new instrument.
Still, it should be possible to implement this entirely within the base package, without touching any core C++ code.

Regarding the FMC idea, FlightGear has currently relatively insufficient support for modeling such modern FMC/FMS systems, these things are currently under active development.
You may want to check out the wiki or do a forum search.

Also, a forum or wiki search would also be useful for coming up with a list of useful software, such as for example Blender 3D (google) or GIMP for creating 3D models and textures.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby El Flauta » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:14 pm

Anything related to glass cockpits, radars, adevanced EHSI features and FDM issues will be wellcome :)
Vive FlightGear! Have you a Ñ on your keyboard? Spain-LatinAmerica FlightGear community!
--
PZL M18B Dromader
CASA C-101 Aviojet
Cessna 337G Skymaster
El Flauta

Callsign: CC-FLT
Version: 3

Postby kyokoyama » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:36 am

Also, you mentioned modeling at the end.
There is a free program by Google called "Google SketchUp", which allows you to make models of scenery buildings fairly easily.
(Also aircraft, but... that takes skill)

To import this, there is a script (somewhere out there) that allows SKP models to be converted into AC3D models (which are the model types used in FG).
Get those two, learn how to model (the simplest buildings only take an eighth of a second to make!), and you're already set to go!

(I say that, yet I never actually do that... So hypocritical..)
Look for "B-BIRD" "N127KY" or "AVA0004" -that's me.

Despite having over 1700 posts here, I am not even close to being the most skilled guy here... I'm just words and bad drawing, not experience. :P
kyokoyama

Callsign: B-BIRD, N127KY
Version: 2.12.1

Return to New features