Board index FlightGear Development New features

Newbie questions

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Newbie questions

Postby rafa23189 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:38 pm

Hi
Im running Ubuntu and I installed blender to design some planes, everything works fine, but when handling more than 2 or 3 cubes or spheres Blender becomes incredibly slow, my processor is Intel dual core, and my graphics is Intel 4500mhd.

Other questions for future developments (Is anything of these I can do with my basic knowledge on C and Pyhton?):

1-Ive flown in many types of different aircrafts and one thing I consider important is the vibration of the plane when taking-off or landing.
2-I worked at Iberia and had the chance to sit in the cockpit. The runway from the pilot seat looks much wider than it looks in flightgear. In fg you dont get the feel that youre siting 10m above the floor too.
3-Turbulence doesnt look very realistic, no wind-shear that drops the altitude a few feet.
4-The landing gear does not slow down the aircraft.

Other questions :
How distances are designed? Is fg a true 3d representation of reality?
How do I desing 3D cockpits if I have all the cabin distances? Blender?
The flight models simulate the 3D geometry designed at Blender and form that calculate the plane behaviour? If so, why landing gears do not influence flight?

Cheers
Sorry for my english :?
rafa23189

Re: Newbie questions

Postby HHS » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:07 pm

Well...

rafa23189 wrote:Hi
Im running Ubuntu and I installed blender to design some planes, everything works fine, but when handling more than 2 or 3 cubes or spheres Blender becomes incredibly slow, my processor is Intel dual core, and my graphics is Intel 4500mhd.

Your graphic card is to weak...
Blender and FGFS makes "heavy" use of 3d-graphic. For this it uses OpenGL.
To my knowledge this all isn't very supported by your graphic card....

Other questions for future developments (Is anything of these I can do with my basic knowledge on C and Pyhton?):

1-Ive flown in many types of different aircrafts and one thing I consider important is the vibration of the plane when taking-off or landing.

vibrations?
Well, it might be important, but I think the overall flight behaviour is much more important, or?
But if you mean with "vibration" the rolling on the runway, it depends on the type of fdm.

2-I worked at Iberia and had the chance to sit in the cockpit. The runway from the pilot seat looks much wider than it looks in flightgear. In fg you dont get the feel that youre siting 10m above the floor too.

It depends on the airport- if it is made realistic it should be as wide as the real one. There are some, which are not.
Another thing is the FOV used in the aircraft, and the fact that ususal monitor can't give the 3d-experience we have sitting in a real cockpit....

3-Turbulence doesnt look very realistic, no wind-shear that drops the altitude a few feet.

No, but I heard there is some work going on. Weather isn't yet our strongest point.

4-The landing gear does not slow down the aircraft.

Depends on the type of fdm and the the fdm itself (is it done good, or bad....)

Other questions :
How distances are designed? Is fg a true 3d representation of reality?

Yep, 1 meter in FGFS is 1 meter in reality. That's self-evident.

How do I desing 3D cockpits if I have all the cabin distances? Blender?

I don't understand quite what you are asking here...
You can model the cockpit with every 3d-model-tool you want: Blender, AC3d, Skecthup, Maya...
If you want to make it 100% right, you need the dimensions of the cockpits, maybe some blueprints etc.
Often just pictures are enough

The flight models simulate the 3D geometry designed at Blender and form that calculate the plane behaviour? If so, why landing gears do not influence flight?

Yes and no!
We have several different types of fdm, and all act different. You are speaking here about YASim, but we have JSBsim also which has to be made completly different. The effect of the gear isn't that noticeable ( but it is to my knowledge), on JSBSim it is.
Up, up and away
HHS
Retired

Version: GIT

Postby rafa23189 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:45 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply!!!

One doubt I still have. Look at the photo below, the black lines clearly show the dc-6 and the pink ones the model that Yasim will simulate? If so, isnt it better to use the same blender object for both? the pink one doesnt look realistic at all. Is Cpu an issue? , when running fg on my cheap Dell inspiron, the intel 4500mhd igc seems to be desperate for commiting suicide but the Cpu is ok, I mean its not at 100% most of the time, there is some processing power still left.

rafa23189

Postby HHS » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:47 pm

The pink is YASim, and it can't be more detailed.
That's a limitation of YASim.

Have a look into data/Docs/YASIM.Readme.....
Up, up and away
HHS
Retired

Version: GIT

Return to New features