Board index FlightGear Development New features

Multiplayer features: Shared carrier and dual control

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Postby AndersG » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:46 pm

MD-Terp wrote:I think another user may have asked this, but -- is it at all possible to continue to sync with the MP player even if the host player is on deck? Obviously, if the carrier's position were adjusted, the player's position would have to be adjusted as well. Would that work (someone else suggested that Weight on Wheels could be a determining factor) or is that not possible?

Just synchronizing the carrier while the player is on deck causes severe slipping. Moving the local player as well looked pretty ugly for other participants on MP (their carrier would not be in exactly the same position and would not teleport in the same way).

I think the main culprit here is the effect of simulation time slippage due to (among other things) model loading on the multiplayer event interpolation buffers in each participating FlightGear instance.

Weight on Wheels is a bit problematic since I think this is signalled by different properties for different aircraft.

/Anders
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Postby jano » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:59 am

hi just to tell about mp map issue:
today i wanted to stay sync wih the plane on board (me too) so i set the ai nimitz velocity to 0 (using property browser) when i was near KHAF, and i did the same for the plane, because once landed my ai nimitz had a little speed causing drift.

this maid the nimitz permanent on mpmap.

after to test i moved a little the nimitz and reset speed to 0, and this time it desappeared, moving it again and setting 0 and he was back permanent on google map.

that was my 2 cents.....
jano

Callsign: jano
Version: git

Postby technobill » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:01 pm

Hello,

On a Mac, what are the steps you take to use this? It seems that everything has a different procedure on a mac!
technobill

Postby AndersG » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:59 pm

technobill wrote:Hello,

On a Mac, what are the steps you take to use this? It seems that everything has a different procedure on a mac!

MPCarrier_fgfsCVS.tar.gz is installed like an(y) aircraft. Unpack the archive in $FG_ROOT/Aircraft/ (where all other aircraft also are).

To activate another player's Nimitz you need to set the property
/sim/mp-carriers/nimitz-callsign to the callsign of that player.
You can do that at run time via the property browser or at startup via a command line parameter (unlikely to be used on Mac)
--prop:/sim/mp-carriers/nimitz-callsign=Nimitz, or (most likely) in the startup GUI.

/Anders
AndersG

Postby HBlackbird » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:23 pm

Hi!

I, like others too, I think, enjoy this very much. But: is there a way to get the Nimitz to another location far away from KSFO? Or is it on the user to choose a place? Every pilot using Nimitz has big problems while other players connect to MP because of the lag the new player produces.

Who is to ask here, the one who takes over the nimitz as a player? The devs, who placed the Nimitz default on KSFO (what means at standard scenery where nearly everyone starts)? Can the MP-Nimitz be stationed elsewhere by command line parameter or else?

It's hard to land an aircraft on busy days, when everything hangs for seconds :D

Maybe any MP-Nimitz "pilots" read this and start the Nimitz far away from KSFO.. :)

regards, Flo
~ EDFH ~
Old callsign: BlackbirdH |<>| New Callsign: ThreepH
HBlackbird

Postby AndersG » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:53 pm

HBlackbird wrote:I, like others too, I think, enjoy this very much. But: is there a way to get the Nimitz to another location far away from KSFO? Or is it on the user to choose a place? Every pilot using Nimitz has big problems while other players connect to MP because of the lag the new player produces.

To move Nimitz you need to edit the position in AI/nimitz_demo.xml.
This holds both when just using the standard AI Nimitz and when using mp-nimitz (though in the later case only the Nimitz player needs to do this - or he could just drive the ship to the desired location.. :) ).

HBlackbird wrote:Maybe any MP-Nimitz "pilots" read this and start the Nimitz far away from KSFO.. :)

There was an MP-Nimitz on a lake further north today, so maybe they are doing that already..

If you want a carrier in a quiet place there is also Eisenhower and Foch. (Ok, Foch might still be unserviceable at the moment.)

Cheers,

Anders
AndersG

Postby jano » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:03 pm

hi, i was driving the nimitz in the lake near KLSV, i use the file menu, browse internal properties.
then go to /AI/Models/carrier/position and set it as you want (lat, long and elevation to adjust height)
it make the nimitz to teleporte...

eisenhower should be in AI/Models/carrier[1] and so on....

i recommend to set it's velocity to 0 by the same way, so that there's not drift when staying on board....

for exemple, today's position was 36.07N -114.76W and 1222 ft height.

and have fun!
jano

Postby HBlackbird » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:22 am

Hi!

Yeah thats good news, but still a problem to be solved, I think, because the Nimitz is the most popular carrier and standardly too near to KSFO. But I will give the Eisenhower a try, maybe some pilots follow.
What distance is needed for the Nimitz to not being interfered by joining people? (And sorry if this goes too far off topic now)
regards, Flo

//Edith sagt:
Few questions: is it possible to use multiple MP-Carriers? Yesterday we had issues because of two players using Nimitz (first both using "Nimitz", then "Nimitz2" and "Nimitz-"), e.g. "spamming" the Chat with double/multiple output.
What about creating a second one, or making the Eisenhower as MP-Carrier too? The clue behind this: one can serve the standard scenery near KSFO, another could serve a place out of range for lagging because of players joining on the server.
Last but not least: is it possible to add a new view, e.g. from the observation bubble and a second one for a better overview?
Thanks for reading ;)

regards, Flo
~ EDFH ~
HBlackbird

Postby jano » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:33 pm

is it possible to use multiple MP-Carriers

of course, if you look in fgrun, or with fgfs --show-aircraft, you should see 3 carriers available: nimitz, eisenhower and foch....

so 3 carriers can be used and seen together, provided the scenario are activated, and the properties adjusted.
just may be a problem with the foch who was't solid in cvs OSG .

i wanted to put them one after the other to land the AN225, but never tried yet :))
jano

Postby HBlackbird » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:02 am

Hi,

I know, there are three carriers. But: did you read the second sentence? And: how should we add the parameter for the startup/properties? E.g. --mpcarrier-callsign=Nimitz;Eisenhower;Nimitz2;Foch ? You see, I asked for MP Carrier, that means not AI. I should have said that, my fault, sorry. ;)

So, in this new light, is it possible to have multiple carriers? In the same Area?

regards, Flo
~ EDFH ~
HBlackbird

Postby AndersG » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:08 am

HBlackbird wrote:Hi,

I know, there are three carriers. But: did you read the second sentence? And: how should we add the parameter for the startup/properties? E.g. --mpcarrier-callsign=Nimitz;Eisenhower;Nimitz2;Foch ? You see, I asked for MP Carrier, that means not AI. I should have said that, my fault, sorry. ;)

So, in this new light, is it possible to have multiple carriers? In the same Area?

You can only have one instance of each carrier at the time, but you can select any of the present carrier players (using the right "aircraft") to control your carriers.
Code: Select all
--prop:/sim/mp-carriers/nimitz-callsign=<callsign of mp-nimitz player>
--prop:/sim/mp-carriers/eisenhower-callsign=<callsign of mp-eisenhower player>
--prop:/sim/mp-carriers/foch-callsign=<callsign of mp-foch player>

All three carriers can be in the same area.

/Anders
AndersG

Postby HBlackbird » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:44 am

Ah now its clear, sorry.

Thank you ;) I'm atm thinking that we would need a kind of announcement function to get people known what callsign they had to use.

regards, Flo
~ EDFH ~
HBlackbird

Postby AndersG » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:48 am

HBlackbird wrote:Ah now its clear, sorry.

Thank you ;) I'm atm thinking that we would need a kind of announcement function to get people known what callsign they had to use.

There is one of sorts.. Open the Debug->Nasal console and enter
MPCarriers.list();

and press execute. This will print a list of currently available carrier players in the text console FG was started from (not sure what happens when using fgrun). There will be a dialog box at some point.

/Anders
AndersG

Re: Multiplayer features: Shared carrier and dual control

Postby AndersG » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:38 pm

I have updated MPCarrier with a carrier selection dialog so that you don't need to set the carrier callsign properties on the command line any more.

(The dialog in the upper right corner is Till's multiplayer list available in FlightGear/CVS)

As usual MPCarrier is available here:
http://www.gidenstam.org/FlightGear/mis ... r_over_MP/

The carrier selection menu can be opened by calling MPCarriers.carrier_dialog.show(); from the Nasal Debug console.
A more convenient solution is to add a menu entry to do that. This can be done by adding this to FG_ROOT/gui/menubar.xml: (e.g. after the ATC/AI menu)
 <menu>
  <label>Network</label>
  <name>multiplayer</name>
  <item>
   <label>MPCarrier selection</label>
   <binding>
    <command>nasal</command>
    <script>
     if (contains(globals, "MPCarriers")) {
         MPCarriers.carrier_dialog.show();
     } else {
         gui.popupTip("Doh! No MPCarriers around.");
     }
    </script>
   </binding>
  </item>
 </menu>

There is already a Network menu in recent FlightGear/CVS so there you only need to add the <item>....</item> part inside that menu entry.

Users of recent FlightGear/CVS have/will also notice that old versions of MPCarrier and WildFire don't work anymore - this is due to a recent reorganization
in the Nasal library. I have uploaded a new WildFire version as well.

Cheers,

Anders
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Re: Multiplayer features: Shared carrier and dual control

Postby MD-Terp » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:05 am

Anders -- so for CVS it's only what's between the "item" tags but for 1.0.0 we should add that whole code box? Also, if several people are on but are representing different carriers, will the dialog box differentiate? Actually I guess I should back up a step first, and ask -- is MPCarrier as you've just updated it compatible with 1.0.0 still?
Cheers,
-Rob.

"Retired" from FlightGear involvement as of July 2010.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8809
MD-Terp

Callsign: N531MD, AVA0025

PreviousNext

Return to New features