Board index FlightGear Development New features

Multiplayer features: Shared carrier and dual control

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Postby MD-Terp » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:17 pm

AndersG wrote:Some possible causes are:
1. The local fgfs instance decided the Nimitz player went off-line. Given the (unexplained) intermittent behaviour of mp-nimitz on the multiplayer network this doesn't look unlikely.

Concur... wish I had the programming skills to help look into this with you... in the meantime, consider me one of your primary playtesters :)
Cheers,
-Rob.

"Retired" from FlightGear involvement as of July 2010.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8809
MD-Terp

Callsign: N531MD, AVA0025

Postby glazmax » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:44 pm

MD-Terp wrote:
Two thoughts -- (1) when approaching a carrier I often set the parking brake in advance, to assist the wire in getting the plane stopped. I know this is not strict real-world procedure, but I know that others do it as well. So the parking brake might be set even if the plane is not on the deck just yet.

Ok, that's cheating ;), but it should't be a problem to check for wow(weight on weels) as well.
MD-Terp wrote: (2) what about more than one plane on the deck?

Even better, all are bound to the user commanding the mp-carrier, so they are syncronous.

MD-Terp wrote:The MP Carrier does indeed show up, but intermittently.

That's the problem, the mp-carrier did not show up for me on the mpmap at all (I checked several times for 10-15sec) and besides fgmap is a helper tool it should not be required in my opinion.
So the only way is to make a blindshot to set the callsign to Nimitz and/or ask via chat.
Just imagine a pilot asking every 50nm "Is there a carrier around, and if, what's your callsign?"

fly on,
glazmax
glazmax

Callsign: jettoo/OE-JTO
Version: cvs

Postby AndersG » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:31 pm

The new version is up now. There were some really puzzling bugs in the previous one, hopefully this one works better.. :)

http://www.gidenstam.org/FlightGear/mis ... CVS.tar.gz

Cheers,

Anders
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Postby isantop » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:46 am

Quick question: What happens if you run into the shore?
isantop

Postby glazmax » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:01 pm

isantop wrote:Quick question: What happens if you run into the shore?

Just imagine, there is no shore ;)

g,
glazmax
glazmax

Callsign: jettoo/OE-JTO
Version: cvs

Postby MD-Terp » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:29 pm

isantop wrote:Quick question: What happens if you run into the shore?

See my post under Stories and Humor called "This is what happens when..."
Cheers,
-Rob.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8809
MD-Terp

Postby isantop » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:49 am

Yeah, saw that. Those are that days when I throw up my hands in dismay, and open PJ64 instead. :lol:

(Don't worry, I always go back to FG again the next day! :lol: )
isantop

Postby MD-Terp » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:01 am

Anders...

Myself and a few others played around some more with MPCarrier today and can report that it is working quite well. Whatever you've done for position calibration seems to be spot on, or else we were just all in good sync by accident today :)

There was a user logged on as "Nimitz" (seemed like Jester again), and myself and two other users ("Gaston" and "jano") were shooting approaches. At one point myself and Gaston were on deck on the front catapults. Gaston's alignment on the catapult looked great from my vantage. At that same time, Jano landed on deck. I had my view pivoted around to watch, and it appeared even to me that he caught the wire.

So, if you've done something to tweak the calibration of the relative positions of the carrier and its various aircraft, it seems to have done remarkably!
Cheers,
-Rob.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8809
MD-Terp

Postby AndersG » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:19 am

Nice to hear :)

No, I have not tweaked anything (though some of the previous versions seems to have had a broken distance test for the updates..). If the carrier isn't moving or only moving slowly it should be in good sync.

Cheers,

Anders
AndersG

Postby MD-Terp » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:26 am

Ah, well, at least it's not doing all of that sudden turning on final, or at least not today. Regardless, nice work. T'was a might bit of fun to play with this afternoon.
Cheers,
-Rob.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8809
MD-Terp

Postby jano » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:51 pm

hi,I was the nimitz yesterday (i run it at 8fps to fly an other plane in the same time), and i saw on board: f14, A6, an2, B1B, B2, lightning C130 and bo105.

few things:
- my ATC radar show only AI, nothing related to mpcarrier but with the ATC i think, i don't know if there's something to do to make it working again (it fails nearly a week ago).
-we tryed to set the nimitz full speed to allow a B2 taking off, but after a few moment, i saw both planes on board following the course given by the ai nimitz (turning left), as if i was only sending them my speed.
B2 finished in the water (he was crosswind when he tried to take off).
- when trying to take off with lightning, i come to the very beginning of the landing deck, and suddenly the nimitz sync again with it's real position causing me to swimm. probably because the nimitz once moved will never come back to 0.000000000 kt, but there's a little speed remainding, and the 200m limit is a little short.
with 220 in: if (aircraft_pos.direct_distance_to(carrier_pos) > 220.0)
(in mp-nimitz.xml) that's better, it don't sync anymore.

i just notice a little freeze (1-2 s) when entering the 220m distance when landing.
jano

Callsign: jano
Version: git

Postby AndersG » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:31 pm

New version up now: Added mp-foch and some minor code cleanup.
http://www.gidenstam.org/FlightGear/mis ... CVS.tar.gz

Note: It seems Foch isn't solid in FlightGear/CVS/OSG.

Adding the following to foch_demo.xml helps (Thanks Ron!):
Code: Select all
<solid>cat-1</solid>
<solid>cat-2</solid>
<solid>Ascenseur1</solid>
<solid>Ascenseur2</solid>
<solid>Pont1</solid>
<solid>Pont2</solid>
<solid>Pont3</solid>
<solid>Pont4</solid>

The airport closest to the default location of Foch seems to be LFTH.

Another neat trick is to postpone setting /sim/mp-carriers/nimitz-callsign or /sim/mp-carriers/foch-callsign until after FlightGear startup (e.g. with the property browser) - then you can start on the carrier with --carrier= (but of course the carrier will remain at its local location until after you have taken off).

Cheers,

Anders
AndersG

Postby MD-Terp » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:05 pm

Still a little bit of sync weirdness...

Landing on MP carrier is okay now. User "Basti" was sailing the MP Nimitz into the Frisco Bay while I was shooting approaches. One time I "hung" for a few seconds on short final, and upon resuming, I saw the Nimitz blink forward about a boat-length as if to "re-sync" with the MP player.

Once I landed, though, my carrier would cut a hard right (due West) while I noticed on the MP map Basti would continue Southbound. Then when I took off and circled, apparently the boats would "re-sync" again (exactly when, I could not tell; Aviate, Navigate, Troubleshoot, as they say!) and then when landing I could see on the MP map that our positions would coincide again until touchdown.

Definitely something is up which causes the host AI carrier to completely disregard the MP carrier player altogether while the host player is on deck... confusing enough for just myself, and it might cause havoc of sorts if multiple planes are "aboard".

Still -- It's a whale of a lot of fun to mess with and I am having a blast. Thanks again for all of your hard work! I hope I am being of some help in debugging efforts, and not a "pest" for focusing on problems.
Cheers,
-Rob.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8809
MD-Terp

Postby AndersG » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:27 pm

MD-Terp wrote:Still a little bit of sync weirdness...

Landing on MP carrier is okay now. User "Basti" was sailing the MP Nimitz into the Frisco Bay while I was shooting approaches. One time I "hung" for a few seconds on short final, and upon resuming, I saw the Nimitz blink forward about a boat-length as if to "re-sync" with the MP player.

That might indeed be a resync. I increased the minimum sync distance to 400m but that might also be a bit short.

MD-Terp wrote:Once I landed, though, my carrier would cut a hard right (due West) while I noticed on the MP map Basti would continue Southbound. Then when I took off and circled, apparently the boats would "re-sync" again (exactly when, I could not tell; Aviate, Navigate, Troubleshoot, as they say!) and then when landing I could see on the MP map that our positions would coincide again until touchdown.

Probably your system thought Basti had disconnected, that will cause the carrier to revert to its default program. Then as long as you are within the minimum sync distance it will not resync even if the player reappears.

MD-Terp wrote:Definitely something is up which causes the host AI carrier to completely disregard the MP carrier player altogether while the host player is on deck... confusing enough for just myself, and it might cause havoc of sorts if multiple planes are "aboard".

It shouldn't do that unless it thinks the carrier player disconnected. But I saw now that I set the carrier base course to the carrier player's heading rather than replicating the rudder angle. Adding the latter might help a bit.
It might also be possible to stick to the last known inputs for a while when the carrier player disconnects.

Cheers,

Anders
AndersG

Postby MD-Terp » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:36 pm

AndersG wrote:
MD-Terp wrote:Still a little bit of sync weirdness...

That might indeed be a resync. I increased the minimum sync distance to 400m but that might also be a bit short.

I didn't mind it. I was actually pleased to see the resync attempt, as I knew that upon touchdown I'd actually appear to Basti and others to be on the deck instead of hovering in midair somewhere off to the rear :)

As to the rest, it definitely seems as if whatever is causing the intermittent connection (on and off again every ten seconds or so) might be related to the issue of the carrier suddenly reverting to its AI programming. It sounds like a plausible theory, anyway. Hmmmm...

I think another user may have asked this, but -- is it at all possible to continue to sync with the MP player even if the host player is on deck? Obviously, if the carrier's position were adjusted, the player's position would have to be adjusted as well. Would that work (someone else suggested that Weight on Wheels could be a determining factor) or is that not possible?
Cheers,
-Rob.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8809
MD-Terp

PreviousNext

Return to New features