Board index FlightGear Development New features

Improved loading screen

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Improved loading screen

Postby ikarus » Thu May 06, 2010 6:35 pm

Hey all,

What do you think of a new/better loading screen? Some are awesome, some, not so much, either way, they get you in the mood while you're waiting...

I was thinking of putting the top link and loading texts on a column on the right. This would leave more "creative freedom" on the aircraft screens (since the column would separate the 2) and you could have a nice terminal sign effect on the loading indicators (we'd need to use a different font though - maybe one from fontstruct).
ikarus

Callsign: bumper

Re: Improved loading screen

Postby Hooray » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:46 pm

ikarus wrote:Hey all,

What do you think of a new/better loading screen? Some are awesome, some, not so much, either way, they get you in the mood while you're waiting...

Splash screens can be easily created, modified/updated and contributed simply by using an image editor like the GIMP, so please do feel free to create new ones. They should be GPL compatible though.

ikarus wrote:I was thinking of putting the top link and loading texts on a column on the right. This would leave more "creative freedom" on the aircraft screens (since the column would separate the 2) and you could have a nice terminal sign effect on the loading indicators (we'd need to use a different font though - maybe one from fontstruct).

Are you aware that these things require modifications to the C++ source code, as well as the possibility to rebuild FG from source?
This cannot be done by just editing images.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby ikarus » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:48 pm

Hooray wrote:Are you aware that these things require modifications to the C++ source code, as well as the possibility to rebuild FG from source?
This cannot be done by just editing images.

Well, the right column would be for all loading screens, so I suppose a code intervention might be jsutified. I am aware this doesn't imply just image editing (otherwise I would've done it), I was just suggesting.
ikarus

Postby Hooray » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:47 am

So was this just meant to be a suggestion for other developers to consider?
Or are you familiar with C++ programming? Do you need help implementing your idea?
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby ikarus » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:00 am

Yup, just a suggestion. I'm blank at C/C#/C++ , sorry :(.
ikarus

Return to New features