Board index FlightGear Development New features

Introducing SquawkGear

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Introducing SquawkGear

Postby D-TB7 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:54 pm

Hi,

I've also installed SquawkGear, SB747 and friends. Since SB747/AVC is Windows only, I'm running it on a tiny Netbook, while FG stays on Linux. It's working quite nicely, just took an hour or two to setup. Really quick - compared to the time it'll take to learn proper VATSIM ATC... :shock:

I do have one issue though. SB747 does not control my AVC client automatically (e.g. does not connect it to voice channels) :(. Manually connecting to a "chatroom" (using the AVC dialog) works.
When I select a COM1 frequency in FG, I receive the VATSIM ATC messages via SB747. And I also see the selected COM frequency is highlighted in SB747's "Controller in range" dialog. So, the FG to SB747 link works perfectly.
But since the SB747 to AVC link does not work, I need to manually change the chatrooms whenever I change COM1...

How's this supposed to work? Does SB747 usually start the AVC client automatically? Do I need to start AVC manually - prior to SB747? I've tried all combinations - noting seems to work... Surely I'm missing something obvious...?

cheers,
Thorsten
D-TB7

Callsign: D-TB7
IRC name: ThorstenB
Version: GIT

SquawkGear and transponder with the 777

Postby D-TB7 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:08 pm

ChocBoy wrote:
redneck wrote:Well, something must have went wrong somewhere, so try again. There is only one step to getting the transponder in the radios dialog, so it shouldn't be too hard to download the file again and try overwriting again.

I've replaced the file again and again, and I still don't have a transponder. And I know it's the correct file because I saw the transponder commands in it.

I'm sure you found another solution by now. But for everyone else who likes the 777, you could download an updated radio stack dialog, which now includes configuration of the transponder (squawk ID). I guess it'll be in FGDATA at some time. If you can't wait, download this:
http://gitorious.org/syd-s-flightgear-c ... eivers.xml
and overwrite your 777-200/Systems/transceivers.xml.
The 777 has a custom radio dialog, so the "radios.xml" update coming with SquawkGear does not help with the 777.

cheers,
Thorsten
D-TB7

Postby reeed » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:56 pm

you'll need to issue a dot command to setup SB747 to do 'auto-tuning' of AVC.
Code: Select all
.rw a/on

If for some reason that didn't work, you can tune AVC manually (set voice server and channel) using
.rw h/servername
.rw j/channelname

Read through chapter 6 ("Roger Wilco") of the SB747 manual for details. It's just 3 pages :-)
reeed

Callsign: SQC7294

Postby redneck » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:03 pm

reeed wrote:If for some reason that didn't work, you can tune AVC manually (set voice server and channel) using
.rw h/servername
    .rw j/channelname

Or you could just type the voice server/channel into AVC. I find that easier than using a dot command to manually tune.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby D-TB7 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:25 pm

reeed wrote:you'll need to issue a dot command to setup SB747 to do 'auto-tuning' of AVC.
.rw a/on

If for some reason that didn't work, you can tune AVC manually (set voice server and channel) using
.rw h/servername
.rw j/channelname

Read through chapter 6 ("Roger Wilco") of the SB747 manual for details. It's just 3 pages :-)

Ah thx, that's working nicely! :D
Got confused by this "Roger Wilco" stuff, since it seemed to be an outdated voice client. But the commands for AVC are the same - of course... since they are SB747 commands...
And sending ".rw a/on" once is enough - it's maintained in between sessions.
D-TB7

Postby mueddib » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:35 pm

Hello all,

I using and tested FlightGear 2.0, SquawkBox 747, SquawkGear and AVC program. My operating system is Debian GNU/Linux and FG running git version. SquawkBox 747 and AVC running wine :) and is not the problem..

I connected VATSIM network, ".freq" command using SquawkBox 747 screen and AVC works automatically.

Command: .freq 122.800 (no online atc service, frequency is used 122.800)
Command: .scan on

There was a problem "squawk charlie mode / squawk standby / transponder" and reeed fix this problem :) thank you very much..

But seems to be a problem real name not sending Delivery ATC. VATSIM need a real name and surname used. When you send flight plan to VATSIM, not sending real name and surnames. Flight Plan sending online ATC but instead of real name "name unknown" error.

I uploaded screenshot: http://img194.imageshack.us/i/tcatafp.jpg/

Another pilot in the screenshot is the real name and surname: http://img259.imageshack.us/i/sur4476fp.jpg/

I think this should solve the problem of information and real name have to be seen by the ATC.

Regards

Ozgur Karatas
mueddib

Callsign: mueddib
IRC name: mueddib

Postby redneck » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:42 pm

Have you gone to File>Setup, and filled out the form with your name?
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Postby timekiller24 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:59 pm

The approach that I always take is to not submit the flightplan using SB747, which seems to solve the name problem. It also solves the problem of not being able to specify the the aircraft type.

Instead, I submit the flight plan via http://www.vatsim.net/fp/ and in the SB747 flight plan dialog, clear it all out -- except for the call sign, which would match what you submitted as your callsign in vatsim's web system.
timekiller24

Postby mueddib » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:10 pm

redneck wrote:Have you gone to File>Setup, and filled out the form with your name?

redneck hello,

yes, I have setting file setup menu insert my name, but the actual online ATC says "does not see the real name".

:)

Regards

Ozgur
mueddib

Callsign: mueddib
IRC name: mueddib

Postby redneck » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:27 pm

Okay, if I were you, I would take timekiller's advice. Alternatively, you can file on www.simroutes.com, which will calculate how much fuel you should load into plane based on your cruising speed. Furthermore, it fills in part of the flight plan form for you.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby timekiller24 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:33 pm

Yeah, great point redneck. Simroutes will come up with a couple of routes for you, once you choose a route, it will let you pick your plane and populate a pop-up window of the vatsim flight plan submission.

One note on this -- you cannot submit a new flight plan with the vatsim dialog if you have sb747 logged in. If you need to modify your plan, ask ATC to do it for you or log off of sb747, hit submit on the vatsim flight plan submitter, and then log right back into to sb747.
timekiller24

Postby timekiller24 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:41 pm

One more note on the above -- sometimes when I use the vatsim fp submit site, I will get a complaint from ATC that they don't know my first and last name. These complaints are rare, but in every case my name _does_ show up in servinfo, VATSpy, and Vattastic. I tell them that and they lay off -- at the end of the day, they want me in the air as much as I want to be in the air (or maybe more than I want to be in the air) so they'll probably always give me a pass.
timekiller24

Postby D-79 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:15 am

IMHO, even easier to use is the VatRoute Desktop Client http://www.vatroute.net/web_client.php . It saves a list of aircraft for you, pre-files the route online, and with a tiny bit of editing, you can even upload exported flightplans into the FG Route Manager.

Cheers
David
callsign: D-79
Scenery contributions: EDDM, EDDP, LOWI, ENAL and ENSD, North Sea oil platforms, taxiway signs at EDDF and EDDT
D-79

Postby MaverickAlex » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:33 pm

Atlas Virtual Joins Vatsim!

http://www.atlasvirtualairlines.com
Modeller of: TNCM TBPB MDPP TFFF TJSJ FMEE TKPK TFFG TQPF KLAX KATL EGNJ EGGW APACHE, EUROFIGHTER, HP VICTOR, DHC8
FGcom 122.75
creator Terragear GUI
MaverickAlex

Postby Chrison » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:21 am

I'm running FG on Ubuntu 10.10 and I have VMWare installed. Has anyone successfully used SquawkBox & Friends running in a Windows virtual machine using VMWare? If so, were there any differences in how it's installed compared with the info here in this thread and also on the SquawkBox site?

Thanks!

Regards,

Chris
"Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat!" (Jackie Gleason)
My final approach announcement: "Seats up... Trays locked... Articles stowed... Seat belts on... And may God have mercy on your souls!"
Chrison

Callsign: Chrison, AVA0066

PreviousNext

Return to New features