Board index FlightGear Development New features

Introducing SquawkGear

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Introducing SquawkGear

Postby reeed » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:15 am

http://squawkgear.wordpress.com

The SquawkGear files are ready for use !

SquawkGear ("SquawkBox for FlightGear") is a program that lets you fly your FG sim on the VATSIM network. Current features include:
- human ATC via text and voice
- private messages with ATC and other aircraft
- you can visualise other VATSIM aircraft out your windshield

Runways and taxiways appear well aligned between VATSIM (MSFS scenery) and FlightGear in my tests.

Outstanding issues:
- you will appear as a B747-400 to the controller and other pilots. I'm working on a fix so that you can specify your aircraft type and capabilities
- VATSIM weather is not injected into FG. But if you use FG's live metar updates, this is usually quite close to VATSIM weather.

-ivan
reeed

Callsign: SQC7294

Re: Introducing SquawkGear

Postby Lukosius » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:29 am

Excellent work reeed.

Sorry I haven't got back to you yet re the beta testing. Have been a little busy lately but am going to try it out over the next week or so.
Callsign: Lukosius (or Lukosiu if you only see 7 characters)
Preferred Aircraft: 777-200ER, 787, IL-96, MD-81, Citation X, B1900d, DHC6, Seneca II
Physical Location: Kalgoorlie, Western Australia
Lukosius

Callsign: Lukosiu, AVA0017
Version: 2_4

Postby Mike4Linux » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:34 am

Thanks for your work.
Mike4Linux

Postby simbabeat » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:23 pm

When will we get our models to show up on their screens? Couldn't this just be as simple as their sim rendering a .ac model flying around? I know x-plane doesn't use .ac. I don't know about msfs.
simbabeat

Postby Lukosius » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:03 pm

simbabeat wrote:When will we get our models to show up on their screens? Couldn't this just be as simple as their sim rendering a .ac model flying around? I know x-plane doesn't use .ac. I don't know about msfs.

reeed wrote:Outstanding issues:
- you will appear as a B747-400 to the controller and other pilots. I'm working on a fix so that you can specify your aircraft type and capabilities
Callsign: Lukosius (or Lukosiu if you only see 7 characters)
Preferred Aircraft: 777-200ER, 787, IL-96, MD-81, Citation X, B1900d, DHC6, Seneca II
Physical Location: Kalgoorlie, Western Australia
Lukosius

Callsign: Lukosiu, AVA0017
Version: 2_4

Postby simbabeat » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:51 pm

Lukosius wrote:
simbabeat wrote:When will we get our models to show up on their screens? Couldn't this just be as simple as their sim rendering a .ac model flying around? I know x-plane doesn't use .ac. I don't know about msfs.

reeed wrote:Outstanding issues:

I know......... I was just asking for more details.
simbabeat

Postby reeed » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:00 am

The whole issue of models and liveries is very complex. The VATSIM clients have evolved their protocol over the years; SquawkGear has a lot of catching up to do. Hopefully one day we would be able to contribute to and use AI models like those at http://colsquawk.webege.com/ , http://projectai.com etc
reeed

Callsign: SQC7294

Postby hovkid » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:53 am

@Simbabeat, MSFSX Uses .mdl format for 3D models, not .ac
Fav Airliner - MD81 - Fav Fighter - F4J76 - Fav Light Aircraft - DHC2
hovkid

Callsign: GB-TYER or AA-124

Postby simbabeat » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:52 pm

hovkid wrote:@Simbabeat, MSFSX Uses .mdl format for 3D models, not .ac

Oh ya I didn't say it was .ac I just said I didn't know what it was. Well if both x-plane and msfs don't use .ac how will we EVENTUALLY be able to be seen on vatsim?
simbabeat

Postby HHS » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:23 pm

simbabeat wrote:
hovkid wrote:@Simbabeat, MSFSX Uses .mdl format for 3D models, not .ac

Oh ya I didn't say it was .ac I just said I didn't know what it was. Well if both x-plane and msfs don't use .ac how will we EVENTUALLY be able to be seen on vatsim?

The program tells the other sim which model you are flying like 737-300. It uses then their model in their format of a 737-300 if available.
Up, up and away
HHS
Retired

Version: GIT

Postby redneck » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:57 pm

MSFS can try to substitute aircraft models for one that closely fits yours if you don't have that model. For example, I tried the FSX mp with just the original planes. Someone showed up as an F14, which is an addon. Instead of seeing nothing, or a glider or whatever, it used a CRJ-700 to try to closely match the model. Like say I fly the c172p on squawkgear. FSX doesn't have a c172p, but it has a c172sp, which it will probably load to represent me on their end.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby YourDailyTsunami » Sun May 02, 2010 6:13 pm

redneck wrote:MSFS can try to substitute aircraft models for one that closely fits yours if you don't have that model. For example, I tried the FSX mp with just the original planes. Someone showed up as an F14, which is an addon. Instead of seeing nothing, or a glider or whatever, it used a CRJ-700 to try to closely match the model. Like say I fly the c172p on squawkgear. FSX doesn't have a c172p, but it has a c172sp, which it will probably load to represent me on their end.

Well, as far as I can imagine it shouldn't be too hard to write a manual converter for that. With that you could simply assign certain fsx or xplane-models to the flightgear model you are using
I'd be a lot more comfortable with that than with an automatic converter because these automated scripts are bound to screw things up from time to time! (Especially when they were written in Redmond :P :twisted: )
all the booze is free, airline goin' broke, here come the ladies with another jack'n'coke... :P
YourDailyTsunami

Callsign: Tsunami

Postby redneck » Tue May 04, 2010 1:18 am

I'm thinking of trying squawkgear. Do I need the CVS version to use it, or will it work with an official release?
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby YourDailyTsunami » Thu May 06, 2010 12:39 pm

*sry I got it wrong*
Last edited by YourDailyTsunami on Thu May 06, 2010 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
all the booze is free, airline goin' broke, here come the ladies with another jack'n'coke... :P
YourDailyTsunami

Callsign: Tsunami

Postby snipey » Thu May 06, 2010 1:33 pm

fgroot is the data folder and not the folder containing the bin and data folders
snipey

Callsign: snipey
Version: GIT

Next

Return to New features