Board index FlightGear Development New features

Poll: Should FlightGear go for VATSIM?

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

In your opinion, should FlightGear go for VATSIM Network?

Poll ended at Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:58 am

Yes, that would be great!
36%
Neutral, i don't care
32%
No, i'm against going for VATSIM.
32%

Total votes : 28

Poll: Should FlightGear go for VATSIM?

Postby Ozgur » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:58 am

I'm confused... I know there's an ongoing topic about this, which is really active, my question is simple.Why FlightGear should go for VATSIM network and should it?
See ongoing debate here

PS:If administrators find this topic awkward, please remove.I don't want to create any problem while the things started to develop.Poll open for 30 days.
N499H
Ozgur

Callsign: N499H, TR-49

Re: Poll: Should FlightGear go for VATSIM?

Postby Sebulba » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:02 am

here is all the things flight gear should go for: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7441
obviously vatsim is not our problem and to make flight gear much better the developers should focus on other things that seem to bother most users now
Sebulba

Postby Ozgur » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:03 am

obviously vatsim is not our problem and to make flight gear much better the developers should focus on other things that seem to bother most users now

That's the reason for me to create the poll...Thank you...
N499H
Ozgur

Postby reeed » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:00 pm

No, FlightGear should not go to VATSIM. FG must remain open and free.

Yes, FlightGear users should have the option of flying on VATSIM if they so desire.

I think the way you designed your poll reveals that there is much misconception and misunderstanding about what it means to 'fly on VATSIM'. FlightGear as a community does not need to join VATSIM, or become a part of VATSIM, or get absorbed / integrated / incorporated into VATSIM. FlightGear users deserve the opportunity to experience online flying with VATSIM, that's why a client is needed. The client does not necessarily need to be integrated into FlightGear, or be distributed with the FlightGear distribution; it's perfectly OK for the client to be completely separate and optional from FlightGear.

The way I see it, there needs absolutely no policy change on the part of the FG developers. There is no need to agree or disagree on whether "FG should go for VATSIM". It's about choice.
reeed

Callsign: SQC7294

Postby SkyWlf77 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:17 pm

I marked "No" as well as I just don't see that that should be a priority at this time. Spending time trying to work out the license differences and implement it is time that could be spent working on the core code to make FlightGear a better simulator overall.

-Jason
SkyWlf77

Callsign: SkyWlf77
Version: 2

Postby reeed » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:23 pm

Another thing I forgot to mention:

Out there in VATSIM world, virtual airlines really come alive, with real time flights, communicating with human ATC, seeing your company aircraft (human pilots!) parked next to you at the terminal...

Once again, nothing to do with FG developers, who ought to concentrate on perfecting FG.
VATSIM is for FG users, not developers.
reeed

Postby MD-Terp » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:59 pm

Those of you who are against it... really, what's the harm in offering it to those who want to use it? If you don't want to use it, don't.
Cheers,
-Rob.

"Retired" from FlightGear involvement as of July 2010.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8809
MD-Terp

Callsign: N531MD, AVA0025

Postby Sebulba » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:05 am

MD-Terp wrote:Those of you who are against it... really, what's the harm in offering it to those who want to use it? If you don't want to use it, don't.

i voted "Neutral, i don't care" and you know what is the problem for those who voted "no vatsim"? the priorities. like this one: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7441
Sebulba

Postby reeed » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:47 am

Sebulba wrote:i voted "Neutral, i don't care" and you know what is the problem for those who voted "no vatsim"? the priorities. like this one: http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewto ... f=6&t=7441

FG users having the ability to fly on VATSIM has nothing to do with any of the priorities on that thread. Those are for the FG developers (core as well as non-core). VATSIM is an option for the users.

Saying "No to VATSIM" is like saying "No to virtual airlines". Makes no sense. Both do not detract from FG developers' work. Both are options that are good to have; users have choice.
reeed

Postby gooneybird » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:10 am

MD-Terp wrote:Those of you who are against it... really, what's the harm in offering it to those who want to use it? If you don't want to use it, don't.

Yeah, this seems daft to me, I won't be able to use it, but why should I or anybody else want to block others from using it. If people are willing to work on it, what's the harm :roll:
Perhaps we need a poll to see if we need another poll :wink:
My Github repository (mostly AI stuff) https://github.com/gooneybird47
gooneybird

Postby Gijs » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:17 am

To me it looked like the poll was asking if FlightGear should abandon its multiplayer servers and set all in on VATSIM. Like VATSIM is the way to go. If that was/is the question, I defenitely say no.

Maybey I am wrong...
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby gooneybird » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:32 am

Gijs wrote:To me it looked like the poll was asking if FlightGear should abandon its multiplayer servers and set all in on VATSIM. Like VATSIM is the way to go. If that was/is the question, I defenitely say no.

Maybey I am wrong...

It seems there is a lot confusion over this :?
The way I read it is that VATSIM is an alternative to FGFS multiplayer, for those who want a more realistic ATC interaction between pilots, not a replacement.

Then again I maybe wrong, again.
My Github repository (mostly AI stuff) https://github.com/gooneybird47
gooneybird

Postby SP-CEZ » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:51 am

It's a bit messy situation isn't it?

A poll is just a poll. ;) I think, from one side there are: "I-wanna-fly-vatsim" enthusiasts (another thing is if they would be capable of make just single proper flight according to all vatsim rules - setting flight plan, making all those things with transponder, radio procedures etc. I'm afraid their first flight on vatsim can be a huge disappointment if they will not learn many things about aviation yet. For example, I don't feel ready for full procedural flight under vatsim yet as well),

next we have people who say "vatsim? why not?",

third group is "I don't care as long as it stay an option but not a necessity"

and at the end, two groups oppositionists:
- "We can do it better on our own, we don't need them"
- "Fck the vatsim and Microsoft, we will fight for free software no matter what, where and when"

I voted "I don't care" because I'm aware of all benefits of opening FG to Vatsim (but not merging!!!), from another side I'm really discouraged by some vatsim veterans who treat newbies like old soldiers treat fresh ones in army. I saw it on Polish forum many times. Some of those actions were fully apropriate (young trolls etc), but in many cases situation looks like "we are elite, you are trash". I never met such behaviour in FG community and that's why I love FG for.

Yes, I know the situation only from Polish vatsim. Maybe there is different in other countries. I know there are many nice guys on vatsim, but I'm sure you all know how party sucks, when among ten cool friends we have one bonker who all the time must be the best one, the wisest one, etc. So that's my concern and worry. That's why I can't be an enthusiast of this idea. But I'm not against it as well.

We will see, how it will develop in time.
SP-CEZ

Postby Ozgur » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:53 pm

Maybe i should have explained but everybody got the point at the end...

Yes Vatsim=FG Developing resources should focus on expanding and integrating with VATSIM integration...

No Vatsim= FG should continue independently from all propriety software and focus on making FG better...

Thanks.
N499H
Ozgur

Postby Vikthor » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:28 pm

Then you are probably missing option like: "No need to focus on VATSIM integration, but if somebody feels like doing it, let him go ahead and support him." Which is IMHO like most subprojects work in FG(and in FOSS in general).
Vikthor

Callsign: OK-VIK/Vikthor

Next

Return to New features