Board index FlightGear Development New features

Feature Poll

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

What would you want to see most of all in the next flight gear major release? You got 3 votes!

More Aircrafts
2%
Improved Aircrafts
19%
Better Scenery (better textures)
13%
More Accurate Scenery
14%
Better Sky
2%
Better Sea
2%
Improved Physics
10%
Better Sound
2%
Crash And Other 3D Effects
4%
Improved Performance (frame rate)
12%
More 3D AI Models (cars on the roads and trains on the railways)
5%
Better GUI
4%
Improved fgrun Tool (easier to use)
3%
More 3D Buildings And Objects
4%
Space Flight Support
4%

Total votes : 252

Feature Poll

Postby Sebulba » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:20 pm

What would you want to see most of all in the next flight gear major release? You got 3 votes!
Sebulba

Re: Feature Poll

Postby Hooray » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:52 pm

Sebulba wrote:What would you want to see most of all in the next flight gear major release? You got 3 votes!

:lol:
Don't you think it would have been better, to first collect suggestions for features and then start a corresponding poll??
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby Sebulba » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:56 pm

i believe i covered every possible suggestion but even if i didn't one can always write an answer including something else
Sebulba

Postby xyz32 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:05 pm

For "Space Flight Support" it will be nice to merge FG with Orbiter or better yet with Celestia
xyz32

Postby Sebulba » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:19 pm

xyz32 wrote:For "Space Flight Support" it will be nice to merge FG with Orbiter or better yet with Celestia

that is a great idea but in the case of the orbiter i don't know what is going on with the licence
Sebulba

Postby xyz32 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:33 pm

Another problem with orbiter is the fact that it is using DirectX and I don't know if there is an abstraction level between the code and the engine. As for the licence doesn't look like it is using GPL http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/disclaimer.html
xyz32

Postby simbabeat » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:23 am

And it would be absolute hell to try and merge two programs into one.
simbabeat

Postby someguy » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:34 pm

Most important: the ability to disable stuff that isn't supported on computers that don't have the latest video cards, to get the frame rate back up into double digits and stop the freezes whenever a new user spawns.

Other than that, shadows would be nice.
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby flameout » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:12 am

This should probably be split into a separate thread, but I have to mention this.

You mentioned space flight. A month ago (os so,) I really looked hard for an open-source spaceflight simulator. I could not find one (Orbiter is freeware.) However, very recently, I ran across OpenOrbit (I'm not sure about its capitalization.) This is a spaceflight simulator that is in its early stages. I may begin to focus on it, rather than FlightGear, as my main open-source project.

Here are my three wanted features:
1. Graphics throttling, I envisioned something where it would automatically change the detail level to keep the framerate constant.
2. Improved aircraft.
3. More reliability (not actually a feature, but having it work with no additional configuration on a larger variety of systems is always a goal.)

I hope we get most of these features -- but some of them are just not FlightGear's goals.
Also known as Johnathan Van Why.
flameout

Callsign: MSJF
Version: GIT

Postby simbabeat » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:30 am

1. Graphics throttling, I envisioned something where it would automatically change the detail level to keep the framerate constant.

Ya that would be nice. In X-PLANE the game automatically manages all rendering options and automatically sets the best detail levels for the framerate you specify as the target framerate. Now of course, you can override the sim's rendering decisions but if you are more for framerate than eye candy it is very nice. This probably wouldn't be to hard to implement either. FlightGear obviously knows what framerate it currently has and it could be told to automatically turn something off if a certain framerate comes up and automatically turn it on at a certain framerates. Some good info to know for developing that would be approximately how many framerates a feature takes up when turned on. Say I'm getting 50, then I turn something on and it goes to 42, that features framerate effect would be 8fps. So Flightgear could be told to automatically turn features on at a certain framerate without the framerate dipping 24. I say 24 because 24 is the industry medium (correct me if I'm wrong here) for video. Soooo anyway that would be cool.... :D

Cheers
simbabeat

Postby flameout » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:23 pm

Actually, I just looked through my FGDevel email folder, and found that there is currently a huge discussion about terrain detail level adjustment. This may be a new feature soon.

I hope this helps.
Also known as Johnathan Van Why.
flameout

Callsign: MSJF
Version: GIT

Postby MD-Terp » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:00 pm

simbabeat wrote:I say 24 because 24 is the industry medium (correct me if I'm wrong here) for video.

I believe motion picture (film) is 24, and television (and videotape) is 36...??
Cheers,
-Rob.

"Retired" from FlightGear involvement as of July 2010.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8809
MD-Terp

Callsign: N531MD, AVA0025

Postby simbabeat » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:19 pm

Hmmmm why would television be so much higher?
simbabeat

Postby Sebulba » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:02 am

flameout wrote:Actually, I just looked through my FGDevel email folder, and found that there is currently a huge discussion about terrain detail level adjustment. This may be a new feature soon.

I hope this helps.

It would be very helpful if any of the developers came here and give us such info for sure. But we are just trying to lead them into the desired direction here aren't we? Anyway i think the results of the poll are starting to be clear. We need improvement on the current(many) aircrafts, better terrain (more accurate and better looking), and improved performance. I believe these three things for the time being are the most desired from the users
Sebulba

Postby redneck » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:06 am

Does it matter? Graphics throttling would be awesome! When I can get 20 fps just by checking a couple boxes, I'll be VERY happy with FG.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Next

Return to New features