Board index FlightGear Development New features

Ubuntu PPA

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Ubuntu PPA

Postby Chris10 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:29 pm

Flightgear has a launchpad project, I think it would be good if this was expanded to include a ppa (package archive). This could contain flightgear, related tools (fgrun, atlas,...), aircraft and scenery. This would simplify installing and upgrading flightgear and all its components.

What does everyone think,

Chris
Chris10

Re: Ubuntu PPA

Postby brisa » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:08 pm

Idea is good, I would like to do it, but it seems that launchpad only acceepts source packages (And I have no idea on hove to build source packages).

I mean I take cvs code, compile it, and build binary package of it.
i.e. how to build a source package for an aircraft ?
anybody knows ?
brisa

Callsign: brisa

Postby Canseco » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:54 pm

Building the Source Package

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/ ... %20Package

Packaging/PPA/BuildingASourcePackage

https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PP ... rcePackage

For aircraft, i was thinking on using cvs to download them, like terrasync does with terrain.
System specs:
AMD Ahtlon 64 X2 Dual Core 2.2 GHz, ASUS M2N4-SLI,3 GB DDR2 800 MHz
Nvidia GT240 1GB 1440x900, 25-30 fps
Canseco

Callsign: Canseco
Version: Git

Postby Chris10 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:53 pm

I think you can package anything (not anything, but any file/files). In the ubuntu repo's some apps have there binary files packages separately to the data. This is how flightgear is packaged.

The nice thing about using debs is that your not re-writing code that already exists, ubuntu can handle dependencies, updates and installations, all we have to do is package the stuff.

Unfortunately I have a very limited understanding of the packaging system and have never packaged anything before, I am looking in to it currently but I have enough trouble keeping ubuntu bootable let alone usable.

What would be useful (I think) is some scripts (bash maybe) that can be use to create packages for scenery and aircraft. Once you have scripts made for the process it becomes really simple. You could even use quickly (an ubuntu packaging tool) to do the upload for you.
Chris10

Postby Chris10 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:11 pm

I have worked out fully how to package aircraft now, you can package anything, and upload it to launchpad. So far I have just package all the aircraft, for more info see here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7665 .

Chris
Chris10

Return to New features