Board index FlightGear Development New features

Island Virtual Airways (FlightGear Virtual Airways)

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Island Virtual Airways (FlightGear Virtual Airways)

Postby Gijs » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:17 pm

I've just started today developing a Virtual Airline for FlightGear. The development is in an early-status, but you already could take a look at it. I've to do a lot more work to get it work right, but I think this is a good addon to make our flights more realistic.

See: http://fgva.freehostia.com/main.php

PS: If there's anyboy who would help, pm me.
Last edited by Gijs on Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby simstick » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:17 am

I signed up. As a side note FGcom is coming along nicely so voice ATC won't be far away. The Linux client is working fine and the ATC radar in CVS is ready to be used so it is coming together.
simstick

Callsign: simstick IVA010

Postby Gijs » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:22 pm

I've send you your login and password.
Please note that it's not done, so not everything's working and I don;t know how I would everything works :)
But maybey you could help and give me some tips?

Thanks,
Gijs
Gijs

Postby new-at-flying » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:17 pm

I might join later, but here's a tip: you know that when you go to mpserver04.flightgear.org (or mpserver 02, doesn't matter), would it be possible to make something like that for your va, only displaying the current flights for your va.

Oh and what would be the paintjob on your fleet?

Edit: When I click on to view the guidelines, nothing happens. :?

Edit: Another tip: make a small exam when signing up, you know, the very basic stuff, like how would you get online to play. And how would you land safely.

And here's another tip: If you want this va to become good, we need the best cockpits of planes.

Edit: Here another tip (lol): How would you get two people into one plane??? I think that's necessary when teaching some and when giving someone a practical exam.
new-at-flying

Postby simstick » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:39 am

new-at-flying wrote:I might join later,

Then you can give tips and hints when you join. Over the years the VA's I have seen succeed have been because of the one or two people that do all the work and have the perseverence and time. (not me).

How would you get two people into one plane???

AndersG has been hard at work on a co-pilot system for the Cessna 172.
simstick

Postby sneo » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:48 am

this looks promising. gives more purpose to my random flights. =)

edit: tried pm, couldnt work. i would be glad to chip in on it (but no high level programming or texturing stuff, im only good with M$ Excel)
sneo

Postby simstick » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:27 am

Gijs wrote:Please note that it's not done, so not everything's working and I don;t know how I would everything works :)
But maybey you could help and give me some tips?.......
Gijs

Nope, the site looks good. Will log my flight tommorow. Looks like you have the right ideas but like I said it usually comes down to one or a few people that have the drive for that particular thing which is like anything else I guess.
I think they have PM's disabled on this board but people could email you through the webpage from the link in the first post.
simstick

Postby Gijs » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:59 pm

Nice to get your reactions!
As I said before I don't really know all of the functions and posibilities and that will stay for the next weeks I think. I'm now trying all of the functions and try to understand them. That'll take some time :)

There's a lot of posted last day, so here's a quick answer to all of your posts.

As a side note FGcom is coming along nicely so voice ATC won't be far away. The Linux client is working fine and the ATC radar in CVS is ready to be used so it is coming together.
Ok, I don't understand the whole CVS thing so I use the stable version, but when it's possible in CVS it won't take a long time before we can do it whith the stable version.

new-at-flying wrote:you know that when you go to mpserver04.flightgear.org (or mpserver 02, doesn't matter), would it be possible to make something like that for your va, only displaying the current flights for your va.

Yeah, I really like to get that done. But I think I can't do that myself. Maybey there's someone out there who could do this part? I think it's not pretty diffucult to let the map, when we'll use callsigns starting with FG or so, only show planes from our va.

new-at-flying wrote:what would be the paintjob on your fleet?

Yeah. that's the question. It's not based on a real airline so we have to design our own paints. Maybey we (or I) could make some paintings with the FlightGear logo, colors etc.? The only problem is that other people, wich aren't part of our airline can't see the planes with FG-painting without downloading it (am I right?).

new-at-flying wrote:When I click on to view the guidelines, nothing happens.
I'll try to fix that.

new-at-flying wrote:Another tip: make a small exam when signing up, you know, the very basic stuff, like how would you get online to play. And how would you land safely.
Nice idea! Any suggestions for questions?

If you want this va to become good, we need the best cockpits of planes.
Ok, that's right. But we do have already some nice cockpits (like the Boeing 777)... We always need more, but I think we don't need special cockpits for our airline do you?

simstick wrote:
new-at-flying wrote:How would you get two people into one plane???

AndersG has been hard at work on a co-pilot system for the Cessna 172.

That would be really nice. I could use that to, because I'm not a really good pilot to be honest :P
Gijs

Postby AndersG » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:15 pm

simstick wrote:AndersG has been hard at work on a co-pilot system for the Cessna 172.

I would not say it is quite ready for prime time yet but it is available here:
http://www.gidenstam.org/FlightGear/misc/c172p-dual_fgfsCVS.tar.gz

Note that the pilot needs to run a fairly recent FlightGear/CVS or a recent 0.9.11pre snapshot and the copilot MUST have a fairly recent version of the OSG based FlightGear/CVS or else he/she cannot click on any buttons or even see the aircraft once airborne.

Cheers,
Anders
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Postby Gijs » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:17 pm

Thanks for posting your stuff. But I don't have the CVS, as I said before, so I can't test it :(
Gijs

Postby new-at-flying » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:22 pm

Ok Gijs, I'll get cracking on some questions and then I'll e-mail them to you. About the cockpits, Ok first of all, I think there should be some easy-to-bild-plane-maker, You know, you specify the characteristics (Vne, etc... and the engine power, then you just design the plane, and then you can just drag-and-drop instruments unto the panel). But I think that to make this airline enjoyable we'd need some cool cockpits, as in every switch from seatbelt signs to all other instruments.
Oh and how hould you design a paintjob for the planes, cuz I wana have a go at it.
And I think we really need to join VATSIM of IVAO or maybe both.
new-at-flying

Postby Gijs » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:31 pm

It's very simple to paint an aircraft, just look for the right (.rgb) file in the Models subfolder of the plane's folder and change it to your wishes.
Gijs

Postby new-at-flying » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:46 pm

What program do you open it with with?

Anyway, I found something helpful, go to http://www.vroute.net/ and download the program, then register and it coose your route and it shows you a route for vatsim networks.
new-at-flying

Postby Gijs » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:58 pm

Try http://www.gimp.org

PS: Is vroute also working with FG?
Gijs

Postby new-at-flying » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:07 pm

What u mean does it also work with FG? Its for all flight simulators who have joined vatsim but you can browse around the routes without any flight sim.
new-at-flying

Next

Return to New features