Board index FlightGear Development New features

Google Earth Scenary for FlightGear?

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Google Earth Scenary for FlightGear?

Postby statto » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:10 pm

Kabuki wrote in Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:58 pm:I don't know what that reference to Win32 is doing in there, because the Google Earth plugin and API are platform neutral, in that the "platform" is a web browser.

The Win32 reference I made a year and a half ago was an analogy and had absolutely nothing to do with Google.

Kabuki wrote in Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:58 pm:The point is, Google is very generous with their Earth API, and nobody should think that it's "all locked up". There are many ways Google's Maps and Earth data can be used with Flightgear. If I'm reading this right, what can't be done is to make Google Earth data a necessary and integral part of Flightgear. But creating addons that use Google Data are fine with Google.

Generous isn't the right word, but yes, Google gains by having people use their API. You are right to say because of their license, we can't incorporate their data into our program - but at the same time, we can probably use data coming out of FlightGear and superimpose it on a Google Map. I'd vote for an OpenStreetMap default layer myself, but that's just me.
Custom Scenery available from http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear
statto

Postby skyop » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:07 pm

While I personally prefer using OSM for accurate map data, I think Google's API is an area worth exploring, if we had the programmers. There was a patch written to allow overlaying images on top of the terrain ("Nel's patch"), but it was never committed...
Aircraft: [ CRJ700-family | DC-10-30 ] Scenery: [ KBFL ]
skyop

IRC name: skyop
Version: next

Postby Prince Dark » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:20 am

Kabuki wrote in Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:13 pm:
King Of Aviators wrote in Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:20 am:The version of FlightGear I'm using (1.0.0) doesn't come with Terrasync, and downloading the scenery separately takes hours, AND the scenery is tgz files, I don't know how to use those.

Not to be flippant with you, but "that's your problem". Why don't you install 2.0? All you have to do is check a box, enter a port number in a box, and start flying. Scenery is loaded automatically.

You're working too hard at making things too hard. Upgrade!

My computer doesn't run that good with 2.0. All the aircraft are missing parts & the cockpit is all screwed up. I can barely see out the windshield with a whole mess of bars inside the cockpit
Formerly known as King of Aviators.
Prince Dark

Callsign: Hawkbit

Postby VicMar » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:50 am

King Of Aviators wrote in Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:20 am:
My computer doesn't run that good with 2.0.
Try turning off the material shaders first. If that doesn't make a significant difference, try turning off other rendering features one by one.

I know that sounds messy, but after a little experimenting, you should get a fair working version of FG, with Terrasync.

HTH
Cheers,
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby mike4lin » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:27 am

ATI related? I've bought recently a Nvidia GTX 460 for around 200.-$
mike4lin

Previous

Return to New features