Board index FlightGear Development New features

New mice.xml for Mouse Users

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: New mice.xml for Mouse Users

Postby Zexe » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:26 am

Merik wrote:Everything is great with this new mice.xml file; the only thing I'm missing is having a way to control the trim when in mode 1. Since the mouse wheel is used for changing to mode 2, we can't have that anymore.

Is this possible to have it back? I suggest:

1) Holding down left mouse button and using mouse wheel would lower/raise the trimmer.
or
2) Pressing left and middle mouse button together would be used to switch to mode 2.

The elevator trim is controlled in mode 0, there you can mouse wheel up or down to control it. So the function is there, but not in mode 1. I've found that having elevator trim in mode 1 caused me a lot of trouble when flying at high speeds at low alt., if for some reason it doesn't work in mode 0, you can always use the HOME and END button i think. For rudder control, you can press and hold left click and control the rudders in mode 1. As for your suggestion, I will try and see what I can do. What planes specifically do you want to control the trim with? I haven't had much problem with any plane trimming... I can understand your problem with not having a button to control the trim with in mode 1, let me get back to you when I have the time to edit the mice.xml file.
-Zexe
Zexe
AIRPORTS: CYYJ, KHAF, RJTT, KEYW
PLANES: m33, grob115, pa22, Goose, MD-81, Velocity-XL, Rallye, F-5E Tiger II, Bocian,
User avatar
Zexe
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 7:12 am

Re: New mice.xml for Mouse Users

Postby Merik » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:29 am

I'm only using C172p for now.
I'm using FlightGear Git version on a Win 7 machine with an onboard ATI graphic card and 3 GB of RAM.

These are the link I've found useful: Types of AirspeedE6B emulatorAirspaces explained with examples
Merik
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:14 am

Re: New mice.xml for Mouse Users

Postby Zexe » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:52 am

Merik wrote:I'm only using C172p for now.

I read somewhere just recently that the c172p doesn't have elevator trim. You might want to double check that.
Zexe
AIRPORTS: CYYJ, KHAF, RJTT, KEYW
PLANES: m33, grob115, pa22, Goose, MD-81, Velocity-XL, Rallye, F-5E Tiger II, Bocian,
User avatar
Zexe
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 7:12 am

Re: New mice.xml for Mouse Users

Postby Mike4Linux » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:21 pm

somehow not what i want...i would have a mice to click in 3D mode and get rid of flight controls. 3D mode should also be less responsive and be able to zoom out like in X-Plane. Maybe i find time to look at that
Mike4Linux
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:48 am

Re: New mice.xml for Mouse Users

Postby Zexe » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:29 am

Mike4Linux wrote:somehow not what i want...i would have a mice to click in 3D mode and get rid of flight controls. 3D mode should also be less responsive and be able to zoom out like in X-Plane. Maybe i find time to look at that


Mike4Linux, the mice.xml file is for FG mouse users, this implies that the file is for those who do not own a joystick or prefer mouse controlled yoke. Therefore getting rid of the flight controls would present us mouse users a great inconvenience. 3D mode doesn't ring a bell for me since the mouse mode is categorized as 0, 1, and 2, but regarding responsiveness, you can edit the mice.xml file yourself by changing the <factor> value. I have not used X-plane and so I don't understand what you mean by "be able to zoom out like in X-plane". If you want to zoom, press lowercase 'x' or uppercase 'x'.

Please note that I am not a developer of FG. Also, please review the guidelines for posting comments on the FG forums. Although I am open to all comments, I am not quite sure as to why you posted anything at all.
Zexe
AIRPORTS: CYYJ, KHAF, RJTT, KEYW
PLANES: m33, grob115, pa22, Goose, MD-81, Velocity-XL, Rallye, F-5E Tiger II, Bocian,
User avatar
Zexe
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 7:12 am

Re: New mice.xml for Mouse Users

Postby Zexe » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:34 am

nickyivyca wrote:From what I've read, this is cool! I haven't been able to try it yet, though. Seems better than the old. Though I'd like for the middle button hold down to be move around, scroll to zoom in/out, left stays for rudder, and right for throttle, but I haven't played around with FG's XML much and don't know my way that well around it.

One problem-I can't access the menus!

Hey man, was just re-reading your post, if you want to access your menu when you're in mode 1, just scroll your mouse wheel down, and then after that right-click out of mode 2 so that you go into mode 0, your cursor shouldn't have the limit anymore.
Zexe
AIRPORTS: CYYJ, KHAF, RJTT, KEYW
PLANES: m33, grob115, pa22, Goose, MD-81, Velocity-XL, Rallye, F-5E Tiger II, Bocian,
User avatar
Zexe
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 7:12 am

Re: New mice.xml for Mouse Users

Postby suto » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:24 pm

Hi,
I very appreciate this setup. I can imagine joystick is the best choice, however now I trying out mouse and found this controls very useful. I see this is older thread, but maybe there is someone around.

regarding responsiveness, you can edit the mice.xml file yourself by changing the <factor> value

This means that when I want say less responsive airplane control in mode 1, I should change simply "factor type" in mice.xml to lower value for all controls? Now it is 2.0 - so for 1.0 or 1.6. It is mentioned somewhere for sure but foun info only about joystick. It is maybe simpler to lower mouse sensitivity directly in windows ..., but this should be more effective. 8)

3D mode doesn't ring a bell for me since the mouse mode is categorized as 0, 1, and 2

If I understand this correctly, there is not simple way how to "cancel" mode 2. It would be better for me to change directly from mode 1 to mode 0. Could it be possible to change it by say wheel-up?
suto
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:35 am
Location: SR
Version: 2

Re: New mice.xml for Mouse Users

Postby Zexe » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:36 pm

suto wrote:Hi,
I very appreciate this setup. I can imagine joystick is the best choice, however now I trying out mouse and found this controls very useful. I see this is older thread, but maybe there is someone around.

regarding responsiveness, you can edit the mice.xml file yourself by changing the <factor> value

This means that when I want say less responsive airplane control in mode 1, I should change simply "factor type" in mice.xml to lower value for all controls? Now it is 2.0 - so for 1.0 or 1.6. It is mentioned somewhere for sure but foun info only about joystick. It is maybe simpler to lower mouse sensitivity directly in windows ..., but this should be more effective. 8)

3D mode doesn't ring a bell for me since the mouse mode is categorized as 0, 1, and 2

If I understand this correctly, there is not simple way how to "cancel" mode 2. It would be better for me to change directly from mode 1 to mode 0. Could it be possible to change it by say wheel-up?


***EDIT: I looked into the mice.xml file again and can't seem to find anything that could represent a so called 'back' button, going from mode 1 to 0. However, as you said, it is very possible to wipe out mode 2 entirely so that you have mode 0 and mode 1 only. However, by doing so means you can no longer adjust view using your mouse... or can you?

Original:
Lowering mouse sensitivity is as you say, change the factor value for each. Changing the Windows mouse settings won't change each and every factor the way you want it to. For example, I like to use a setting of factor 2 for ailerons, but a factor of 1 for elevators. Window's can't do this for you.
Anything is possible with regards of customizing your mice.xml. I tried only having two modes, but I soon realized that the 'pan view' function is quite important. So this is why I kept the three mouse modes. However, I never thought to have a 'back' button to go from mode 1 to mode 0. Let me look into it. :D
Zexe
AIRPORTS: CYYJ, KHAF, RJTT, KEYW
PLANES: m33, grob115, pa22, Goose, MD-81, Velocity-XL, Rallye, F-5E Tiger II, Bocian,
User avatar
Zexe
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 7:12 am

Re: New mice.xml for Mouse Users

Postby suto » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:20 pm

Hi,
However, as you said, it is very possible to wipe out mode 2 entirely so that you have mode 0 and mode 1 only. However, by doing so means you can no longer adjust view using your mouse... or can you?

I think not, but nevertheless I wiped it out. :mrgreen: For me viewing option in mode 1 of your mice.xml is enough for now and later maybe I put it back.
However I thought about possible replacement betwen rudder control and mode changing in mode 1. It would be better to have rudder controlled by mouse wheel scrolling (I am not sure) and I can change to mode 2 (or 0) by left clicking (or right). But I have no idea how to make rudder controlled by mouse wheel (in mode 1). It could be done by changing this? :
Code: Select all
<!-- Left button pressed: control rudder -->
    <binding>
     <condition>
      <and>
       <property>/devices/status/mice/mouse[0]/button[0]</property>
       <not>
        <property>/devices/status/mice/mouse[0]/button[1]</property>
       </not>
      </and>
     </condition>
     <command>property-adjust</command>
     <property>/controls/flight/rudder</property>
     <factor type="double">0.7</factor>
     <min type="double">-1.0</min>
     <max type="double">1.0</max>
     <wrap type="bool">false</wrap>
    </binding>

or it should be adjusted elsewhere too?

EDIT: Dont know, if this post should not be in support forum instead. :mrgreen: I have seen idea with rudder controlled by mouse wheel somewhere in the forum. Nevertheless I am fairly content as it is. :)
suto
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:35 am
Location: SR
Version: 2

Re: New mice.xml for Mouse Users

Postby Zexe » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:02 am

Nah, this should stay here since it is in the Development section.

I'll take a look into the mice.xml and see if tweak some things. The rudder and wheel thingy is quite possible. In fact, all we have to do is switch properties with the buttons.

-Zexe
Zexe
AIRPORTS: CYYJ, KHAF, RJTT, KEYW
PLANES: m33, grob115, pa22, Goose, MD-81, Velocity-XL, Rallye, F-5E Tiger II, Bocian,
User avatar
Zexe
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 7:12 am

Re: New mice.xml for Mouse Users

Postby suto » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:43 pm

That would be great :!:
In fact, all we have to do is switch properties with the buttons.

It sounds quite easy. :)
suto
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:35 am
Location: SR
Version: 2

Re: New mice.xml for Mouse Users

Postby ivonakis » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:43 pm

Hello everyone. Here is scroll rudder code,the way i figured it out. I will never use auto rudder again :) .
The upper two rows are for ease of finding.
Code: Select all
  <!-- extra buttons control elevator trim -->
   <!-- these are often assigned to mouse-wheel motion in Linux -->
   <button n="3">
    <binding>
   <command>property-adjust</command>
     <property>/controls/flight/rudder</property>
     <step type="double">0.14</step>
    </binding>
   </button>

   <button n="4">
    <binding>
   <command>property-adjust</command>
     <property>/controls/flight/rudder</property>
     <step type="double">-0.14</step>

    </binding>
   </button>
ivonakis
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:09 pm

Re: New mice.xml for Mouse Users

Postby suto » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:07 am

Many thanks for it. Rudder is much more accurate with mouse wheel than controlled by keyboard. Still, is it possible to take-off with it relatively precisely? I still have some problems to keep aircraft above runway, sometimes it go well but often I find myself to left or right of it. :roll:

Edit: A kind of late response. :oops: I tried also automatic rudder (which I do not know that exists before) but when trying to take-off I found it hard to steer on the ground.
suto
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:35 am
Location: SR
Version: 2

Re: New mice.xml for Mouse Users

Postby Zexe » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:36 am

suto wrote:Many thanks for it. Rudder is much more accurate with mouse wheel than controlled by keyboard. Still, is it possible to take-off with it relatively precisely? I still have some problems to keep aircraft above runway, sometimes it go well but often I find myself to left or right of it. :roll:

Edit: A kind of late response. :oops: I tried also automatic rudder (which I do not know that exists before) but when trying to take-off I found it hard to steer on the ground.


I'm kinda confused here Suto, but FYI, the mice.xml original and my version rudder control was press'n hold left click and then slide the mouse left or right, I found that very responsive and accurate. But then again, you may have the left click button reserved for something else.

What kind of planes do you fly? Most propeller planes need your full attention on the rudder and throttle until airborne. Jets are a little more forgiving. Let me know when you can, thanks. :)
Zexe
AIRPORTS: CYYJ, KHAF, RJTT, KEYW
PLANES: m33, grob115, pa22, Goose, MD-81, Velocity-XL, Rallye, F-5E Tiger II, Bocian,
User avatar
Zexe
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 7:12 am

Re: New mice.xml for Mouse Users

Postby suto » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:17 pm

I am flying Cessna 172. When on the ground there is no problem to keep on track but immediately after take-off it is harder to keep above runway - I am thrown to left (or with excessive input on rudder to right) - after that it is easy to get plane back problem is only immediately after rotation. Maybe should find out exact rudder, needed shortly after take-off. Sometimes I am happy with it sometimes find myself 5 meters next to the runway. I tended to use keyboard shortly after take-off controlling only elevator and ailerons by mouse - that was maybe wrong.

I am using your mouse setup and I am very content with it. I am trying both scrolling wheel and left press'n hold click - now I have both possibilities in mice.xml.
suto
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:35 am
Location: SR
Version: 2

PreviousNext

Return to New features

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests