Board index FlightGear Development New features

New mice.xml for Mouse Users

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

New mice.xml for Mouse Users

Postby Zexe » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:52 am

2/1/2010 Updated version: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16442048/Zexe.Mice.rar

For Mouse Users

Was getting tired of having to use my left hand for views and resetting views to default, as well as right-clicking hundreds of cycles, so I rearranged a few functions in the mice.xml file. There is a readme file that hopefully explains thoroughly the buttons and the new configuration. There is also a backup file of the mice.xml should you want to revert back to the original.

Installation: Extract, place the mice.xml into your flightgear/data folder. Done.

Zexe's New Configured Mice.xml

The main difference between the default and my version is that in mode 1, I combined the control function of mode 1 with view function of mode 2 so that you don't have to cycle out of control mode everytime you want to look around. Another new thing is that the mouse is active in modes 0 and 1, which means you can toggle instruments on and off on the go without switching modes.

Mode=0 (First default mode when FG starts)

left-click= Toggle on/ off hotspots
Wheel up/Wheel down= Trim elevator
right-click= Select next mode (which is mode 1)

Mode=1

No buttons pushed= Controlling the yoke

left-click= Toggle on/off hotspots
press-n-hold left-click= Rudder

press-n-hold right-click= Look around
shift + press-n-hold right-click= Lock view

press-n-hold MMB (middle mouse button)= Throttle
wheel-down (about two wheel clicks)= Next mode (which is mode 2)

Mode=2

Same as default mode 2. The reason why I kept this mode is for the seat adjustment controls. By pressing Middle Mouse Button (MMB), you can adjust your seat height and move right or left. Additionally, by pressing Control + MMB, you can adjust seat position forward and back.

Notes

In mode 1, you can press-n-hold right-click, look around the cockpit and simultaneously left-click on a hotspot to toggle it on or off. Release and the view will reset to your forward default view. The purpose of mode 1 is to ideally be able to fly in one mode. Mouse mode 1 gives you the option of looking around in the same mode as well as toggle on hotspots without cycling through the different modes.

**Remember, the instant you release right-click, your mouse will become the yoke. You will gain control of your airplane!!

** If you'd like to look around, keep pressing the right click, or use shift to lock the view, but the view is locked, not the controls which means if you're still in mode 1 and no buttons are pushed, your mouse will be the yoke. Otherwise, use the keyboard view (shift +left, shift+ right , etc...) or mode 2 to look around

**Only mode 0 and mode 1 have active cursor ability, mode 2 is now just to look around.

** Press 5 to center all controls.

Have fun! For alternative configuration, please check out Merik's Mice.xml configuration here: http://flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10902&p=132299#p132299
Last edited by Zexe on Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Zexe
AIRPORTS: CYYJ, KHAF, RJTT, KEYW
PLANES: m33, grob115, pa22, Goose, MD-81, Velocity-XL, Rallye, F-5E Tiger II, Bocian,
Zexe

Re: New mice.xml for Mouse Users

Postby nerd1925 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:42 am

Where is the back up file of the mice.xml because i'd like to change back.
But your version is great aswell it's just im used to the first version.
Favorite Airport(s) : FADT,KLAX,KSFO,KJFK,TNCM,VHXX,VHHH,TNCC,SBVT,KDFW
Favorite Aircraft(s) : 767-300ER, A330-200, 777-200ER, 757-200, 747-400, A380, CRJ-200LR,787-800,A340-600,737-900
CEO and Founder of Delta Virtual Airlines
Pilot for Star Alliance
nerd1925

Postby etienneb1 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:58 pm

Actually, there is no readme and backup files.

The backup file, you can do it yourself, you just rename your mice.xml file to mice-bak.xml before downloading the Zexe's one. You can also redownload the original one by CVS if you are using it.

But the readme file could be useful to know how it's working.
Callsign: Bourque
Server: mpserver05
Aircrafts: c172p, SenecaII, Beech1900D, 777-200ER, 787
Airports: CYVO, CYQB, CYUL, KUFO, EHAM, EDDF

Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07 Ghz
EVGA GeForce GTX 580 1.5 GB GDDR5
12 GB DDR3 1333 Mhz Triple Channel
etienneb1

Callsign: Bourque
Version: Git

Postby Zexe » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:48 pm

Sorry guys, I forgot to add the backup file and the readme file for this version. Let me upload it.

-Zexe

PS The updated one with the readme file and the backup file are now included in the download. Click the link in the first post.
Zexe
PLANES: m33, grob115, pa22, Goose, MD-81, Velocity-XL, Rallye, F-5E Tiger II, Bocian,
Zexe

Postby nerd1925 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:38 pm

THank you very much Zexe I really appreciate it.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

BTW Your mouse version is AWESOME!
Favorite Airport(s) : FADT,KLAX,KSFO,KJFK,TNCM,VHXX,VHHH,TNCC,SBVT,KDFW
Favorite Aircraft(s) : 767-300ER, A330-200, 777-200ER, 757-200, 747-400, A380, CRJ-200LR,787-800,A340-600,737-900
CEO and Founder of Delta Virtual Airlines
Pilot for Star Alliance
nerd1925

Postby Merik » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:48 pm

I'd like to second that!
I'm using FlightGear Git version on a Win 7 machine with an onboard ATI graphic card and 3 GB of RAM.

These are the link I've found useful: Types of AirspeedE6B emulatorAirspaces explained with examples
Merik

Postby Zexe » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:14 am

Spread the word around. ;)
Zexe
Zexe

Postby nickyivyca » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:57 am

From what I've read, this is cool! I haven't been able to try it yet, though. Seems better than the old. Though I'd like for the middle button hold down to be move around, scroll to zoom in/out, left stays for rudder, and right for throttle, but I haven't played around with FG's XML much and don't know my way that well around it.

One problem-I can't access the menus!
Personal Fleet: 787-8, CRJ-200, 737-300, MD-81, DHC-3A, Beechcraft Starship
New hangar!
Curent projects: New 787, New CRJ-200, DC-9, New 777-200ER FDM
nickyivyca

Callsign: Nick, ---206
Version: 2

Postby Zexe » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:12 pm

nickyivyca wrote:From what I've read, this is cool! I haven't been able to try it yet, though. Seems better than the old. Though I'd like for the middle button hold down to be move around, scroll to zoom in/out, left stays for rudder, and right for throttle, but I haven't played around with FG's XML much and don't know my way that well around it.

One problem-I can't access the menus!

I don't know how to program, I only know how to change existing materials. To my knowledge, what you prefer seems very difficult to do since your ability to change mouse mode is neutralized. You can theoretically assign a keyboard button for the mouse mode and the zoom wheel, but that will have to go into nasal I am pretty sure.

-Zexe
Zexe
Zexe

Postby nickyivyca » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:22 am

That's not the main problem with it, though...the main problem is FG won't let the cursor go a certain distance from the center while using mouse control, and since the mouse control is always on here, it won't let me move the cursor in range of the menus. Which I really like using...
New hangar!
nickyivyca

Postby Zexe » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:53 am

nickyivyca wrote:That's not the main problem with it, though...the main problem is FG won't let the cursor go a certain distance from the center while using mouse control, and since the mouse control is always on here, it won't let me move the cursor in range of the menus. Which I really like using...

If you could expand what you're talking about, meaning if you could clarify in specific detail what you need. I already know a way to remove that limit to the cursor in mouse mode 1. Hence, if you'd really like to access the menu, there are keyboard shortcuts. Also, you could use my mice.xml file, right click into mode 1 and press and hold right click and select the menu from there also, but I don't recommend it.

In your previous post, you had preferred a new configuration, however I had suggested it to be difficult: which button would define to switch mouse mode?
Zexe
Zexe

Postby nickyivyca » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:35 am

To switch, I would guess that you would hold down two buttons at once to change. Can't really see how else you would do that.
New hangar!
nickyivyca

Postby Merik » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:22 am

How can I press the buttons on the panel while I'm in mode 1?
I'm using FlightGear Git version on a Win 7 machine with an onboard ATI graphic card and 3 GB of RAM.

These are the link I've found useful: Types of AirspeedE6B emulatorAirspaces explained with examples
Merik

Postby Zexe » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:21 am

Merik wrote:How can I press the buttons on the panel while I'm in mode 1?

Sorry i didn't state this in the readme file. To press buttons while in mode 1, press and hold right-click and look around to the place you want to click on, while pressing on the right-click, left-click on the hotspot. That should do the job!

Example: I want to turn on Tail lights. I press and hold right-click, I look at the Tailight switch, then I left-click, the switch will flip up, the tail lights turn on, I release everything, and I am back to my default view.

-Zexe
Zexe
Zexe

Postby Merik » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:09 pm

Everything is great with this new mice.xml file; the only thing I'm missing is having a way to control the trim when in mode 1. Since the mouse wheel is used for changing to mode 2, we can't have that anymore.

Is this possible to have it back? I suggest:

1) Holding down left mouse button and using mouse wheel would lower/raise the trimmer.
or
2) Pressing left and middle mouse button together would be used to switch to mode 2.

Merik

Next

Return to New features