Board index FlightGear Development New features

Simple FG GUI front-end for Linux

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Simple FG GUI front-end for Linux

Postby chris_blues » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:36 pm

You are right! I've just spotted the lines "svn not found" in your code-block. I guess you don't have svn installed. Try "sudo apt-get install subversion"...

Hope this helps!
Cheers
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Debian stable 64bit - i7 8x2.8GHz - 20GB RAM - GeForce GTS 450
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Callsign: chris_blues
Version: GIT

Postby santosdumont » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:07 pm

Yes, that's got terrasync working as far as I can see, although the airports that are loaded exclusively in the terrasyncfolder still don't appear.
Probably need to experiment with TerraMaster a bit more, thanks.
santosdumont

Postby chris_blues » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:18 pm

I'm not sure if you already know about this, but I'll tell you anyway ;)
Take a look here: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Install_scenery#Installing_scenery
It's not very clearly spelled out, but I have some lines in FGo like the following. In Preferences on the first Tab take a look at the scenery field. You can input several paths there, like:
Code: Select all
/home/myname/terrasync:/media/somedisk/custom-scenery:/media/disk/world-scenery

The trick is to put the : between the different folders. That works fine for me :) And it's good to know, that FlightGear looks exactly in that order you have the paths listed. So if you have some custom scenery which you don't want to be overridden by the terrasync data, you should put it before the terrasync folder.

Maybe that takes care of your airport data as well... at least I hope so...
Cheers!

Merry christmas everybody! :)
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby santosdumont » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:15 pm

I think that's done it:
Code: Select all
/home/username/terrasync:/usr/share/games/flightgear/Scenery
. It's a quirk of the "code" entry that it appears that there are spaces before & after the colon, but not so! (Took a bit of trial & error to get going).

Happy new year!
santosdumont

Postby chris_blues » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:20 pm

santosdumont wrote in Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:15 pm:Happy new year!

You too! And everybody else for that matter!
Happy flying! :)
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby freevryheid » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:21 am

One option missing from fgo is setting FG_AIRCRAFT. I'm on linux so I usually post new aircraft to my home folder. These do not show up on fgo. fgrun has this option.
freevryheid

Version: 2.8

Postby erobo » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:49 pm

Hello, have not been here for a long time, but as I can see FGo! still has got some users. I appreciate that, and to thank you all I prepared new release: FGo! 1.4.0 is ready to download at it's official website. Sorry you had to wait almost three years for it.

Mayor new features:
    * Italian translation has been added (thanks to Philip Lacroix)
    * Added support for nonstandard aircraft directories. Paths can be set in "Preferences" window under "Additional aircraft path" entry.
    * Scenery prefetch for TerraSync added.
    * FGo! can track modification time of the apt.dat.gz file and update its own "apt" database automatically. New "Airport database update" option menu introduced to "Miscellaneous" menu in "Preferences" window.
    * Search entries are replaced by interactive search entries.
    * Tooltips added in "Preferences" window.
...and other bug fixes and changes. See change log for details.

If you follow this thread from the beginning you will notice that most of this features were suggested here, and were on my todo list for a long time, thank you all for your support.

A note about translation:
This version of the software has added quite a lot of new text. So at the moment lots of translation is missing. Currently, only Polish localization is 100% complete, also Italian and French will probably be taken care of, but other still need attention. I already updated most of German and Spanish tooltip messages, and also updated help files for these languages to reflect changes in original help file. Please note that any line in those files that is starting with > sign needs to be translated. If you are the original translators of Fgo!, I will appreciate your help again. If you never translated FGo! before, you still can help, look into fgo/docs/A WORD TO TRANSLATORS file for instructions.

Hope you will like the changes, if you find bugs or have suggestions let me know about it.
Last edited by erobo on Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
erobo

Postby chris_blues » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:32 pm

Guess who's back!!! Nice to hear from you again! Can't wait to see the changes! Unfortunately RL has a firm grip on me these days and I'm quite sure, I won't find any time checking out your new version, even less flying! :( I hope things will settle in the next weeks. In the nights, I sometimes check up on the forum, but that's about all I find time for. too bad...
About the translation, I would be very happy to look into it, but as I said, I can't make any promises...

Hope you're well and got your studies alright!

Cheers
chris
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby erobo » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:06 pm

Hi chris, long time no see :) I also I did not have many opportunities to fly all these years. Actually I compiled FG only a month ago.
About the translation, I would be very happy to look into it, but as I said, I can't make any promises...

There is no rush, take all the time you need. I'm glad that you like to help even if you do not have time do it right now, I appreciate that.
erobo

Postby chris_blues » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:10 am

Well, I'm still a heavy FGo!-user :)
One thing, which comes to mind, FGo! hasn't recognized many parking-positions, which fgrun did. For example, if you install jomo's EDDF-ELLX scenery, FGo! shows no parking lots in EDDF whatsoever. Haven't tried 1.4 yet, but maybe you can give it a try, just to make sure...
...well you know me, always looking for trouble... :roll:
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby erobo » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:27 pm

You have found a bug which is (hopefully) fixed now, and that means that FGo! 1.4.1 is now available. It also fixes a little problem with interface that I have also found. Keep looking for trouble if it improves FGo! ;)

Thanks chris_blues.
erobo

Postby daveculp » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:25 am

Thanks erobo! I'm a long time fan of fgo. I can't wait to get home and try the new update.
daveculp

Callsign: DCulp
Version: 2017.3.1

Postby erobo » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:58 pm

New FGo! 1.4.2 is available, major changes are:
    * German translation is updated thanks to chris_blues.
    * All transient windows, except "Preferences" and info window, can now be closed using [Esc] button.

daveculp wrote in Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:25 am:I'm a long time fan of fgo.

I am glad that FGo! still proves to be useful. Thank you for using it.
erobo

Postby chris_blues » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:09 pm

I've had a chance to fly a bit and FGo! 1.4.2 works like a charm! All fine!

Thanks Erobo! 8)
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby erobo » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:14 pm

FGo! 1.4.3 has been released, it has only one new feature: Updated existing French localization and new French config and help file added. This means that French translation is now complete and up to date, all thanks to f-ojac.
erobo

PreviousNext

Return to New features